What's new

What TV series you watching?

Having recently finished the 9.5 hour Criterion blu-ray of THE HUMAN CONDITION, one of my top 10 films of all time, I came across Kanji Ishiwara: The Man Who Triggered the War, on amazon prime. After that Manchuria background, I'm going to have to rewatch THC, which mostly takes place in Manchuria.

Began a Russian film today on amazon prime called T-34, about a lone Russian tank facing-off against Panzer units. So far I like it.

If you're a tank buff who wants a fiction/horror novel for a fun read, try to find a 1980's paperback called "Panzer Spirit" by Tom Townsend. As I remember, a panzer tank made with elven metal comes alive years after the war ends. I used to have a copy from the 80s on my book shelf before we moved late last year. Hopefully it's still in a box I haven't unpacked.

Catching up on NCIS and rationing out the Titans live action,although I do not like the way some characters are treated.....

On the recommendation of a friend, I just started watching "Castle." So far it's fun, but this is the same person who recommended "The Mentalist" to me and I was not a fan. I do love a good murder show, but so far my faves are Columbo and Elementary.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Big Sky
Chicago Med
Chicago Fire
Chicago P.D.
The Good Doctor
The Resident
New Amsterdam
F.B.I.
Seal Team
and Elementary on Netflix
and waiting for another season of The Expanse on Prime

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Binging on "Columbo." Fifty years old and still fresh.

Formulaic, but wonderful, just wonderful--especially when Falk asks, "Just one more question." Walk-ons by Vito Scotti are always a welcome bonus, as are the perplexed looks by Bruce Kirby.

So well done, you can just about smell Columbo's cigar smoke. If you've seen 'em all, see 'em again. If you're never seen 'em, get ready for some truly great television.

Free at IMDb.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I just finished re-watching the first season of "Evil". I was so disappointed when they chose to move from network TV and run the second season on Paramount streaming which I don't have. I enjoyed the show and definitely would have watched the second season but it's not worth it for me to have to add another streaming service.

I'm flashing back to my grade school years by re-watching the gothic soap "Dark Shadows" starting at the point where vampire Barnabas Collins first appears in Collinwood. The show really captures the early days of television where budgets were low and they shot the show live with no time or money for re-shoots so you catch actors flubbing their lines, set issues and other such things. There's a lot of nostalgia in that alone beside just the content of the show. I'm just starting the second season. I'm not sure if the transition to color happened in the second or third season but it's holding up for me so far despite moving a bit slow at times. I suppose that can sometimes be expected when you're doing a daily show five days a week for nine months out of the year.
We watched "Dark Shadows" in college. Every afternoon, we'd break from the pool (this was ASU), gather 'round the television, pop some beers and wait for John Yaeger (a Jekyll and Hyde type character) to make his nefarious entrance. Great fun!

Just started Longstreet. I haven't seen the show since it first aired 50 years ago. Of course nowadays the gimmick would have a hard time with PC audiences. I had completely forgotten that Bruce Lee was a semi regular.

On the recommendation of a friend, I just started watching "Castle."
I watched when it was on because my wife liked it. Not bad initially. I think we may even have the dvds, unless they went to Goodwill in our move. As I remember, it tanked really bad the last season or two., but I don't remember why.

I watched when it was on because my wife liked it. Not bad initially. I think we may even have the dvds, unless they went to Goodwill in our move. As I remember, it tanked really bad the last season or two., but I don't remember why.
Free on Hulu (so technically not free since we pay for Hulu) and I'm only 3 episodes in as I'm also watching Longstreet, Elementary, Archer, What We Do In The Shadows, Only Murders in This Building, and Squid Games. I usually avoid series, but lately I've delved back into them.

Yeah, re Goliath I always assume *any* show within a professional domain is bonkers to anyone in the field. So the bar for veracity for me is on the floor and easily met.

I liked the final season of Goliath probably the best of them all for its visual and sound design, and Billy Bob Thornton and Nina Arianda's facial expressions.
McBride: And I'm also somewhat of an expert on attorney misconduct.
Reiss: Judicially noticed.

Currently working through Squid Games, Marcella, and impatiently waiting for weekly episodes of The Great British Baking Show to drop.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Finished Shetland
Season 2 is missing for some reason. Season 3 was almost one plot line that went very dark and felt intense.

Finished Loki. Well done backstory or more in-depth focus on my least favorite character. It worked. Owen Wilson brings it up a notch too.

Finally finished (HBO) watchman series. (Was savoring the last episode) great series.

Top Bottom