What's new

What TV series you watching?

I don't normally watch episodic television. But I've been wanting to watch some. "I'm Your Woman" Is a great crime drama. It's a mystery from the first five minutes and it's a gradual plot reveal. Super well done.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
We've started on Industry on BBC iPlayer, 2 episodes in.

I got through 3 episodes and got tired of it. They did manage to check every single, it seemed, social justice/woke box with the casting and script. Maybe I'll go back to it. Probably not.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I see that Shark is available for streaming on Hulu. I never watched it when it was on network TV, but I'm a big James Woods fan so looking forward to it!

Breaking Bad for the third time. I just watched the first episode last night. I knew the writing was good but it might be the most well written drama I've seen full stop. The whole thing is kind of set up in that first episode. And of course there are so many small details which I can't remember, it's like discovering it all over again.

Breaking Bad for the third time. I just watched the first episode last night. I knew the writing was good but it might be the most well written drama I've seen full stop. The whole thing is kind of set up in that first episode. And of course there are so many small details which I can't remember, it's like discovering it all over again.
When I think back on BB, I get a strong flavor of . . . dare I say it . . . literature. Like a truly great crime novel or trilogy.

Miss Linda is still watching that 2016 or whatever American Gothic series. I had just finished the 1948 B & W Western Yellow Sky, and when I would glance up from my book at AG, the contrast was astonishing. AG's images were so dim and murky I had the feeling my eyes were going bad, or my new TV was. Can't these characters turn on a lamp once in a while?

When I think back on BB, I get a strong flavor of . . . dare I say it . . . literature. Like a truly great crime novel or trilogy.

Absolutely. I think of Walter White as one of the great fictional creations, just like Ahab in Moby Dick.

Can't these characters turn on a lamp once in a while?

The muted tones and blue and green filters used on every other TV show and movie really gets to me. I blame Michael Mann for starting it all, haha! I really like a lot of the Scandi-noir thrillers but the colour palette they all use gets tiring on the eye after a while. That's the thing I like with Tarantino's films. They look like Grease.

WWII in HD on Netflix. Did they know how tuff they were? Were they that way by nature or by adaptation? Near the beginning it shows some young men trying to learn to do rifle drills (?) and dropping their rifles, pulling the bolts out, generally awkward and painful to watch. I guess they were not all Rambo by default.

But of corse we all know what Ray tango says about Rambo....

I don't normally watch episodic television. But I've been wanting to watch some. "I'm Your Woman" Is a great crime drama. It's a mystery from the first five minutes and it's a gradual plot reveal. Super well done.
My Bad. Correction "I'm Your Woman" is a movie. Pretty good Crime Drama. Unique in that there's less focus on the criminals and more on people running from them. Suspenseful throughout.

Death in Paradise. One of the most popular TV shows on the BBC, but hated by the critics. Set on a Caribbean island, easy to watch and the good guy (almost) always wins. Perfect escapism.

Just finished the final season of The Strain (I really like the way this one ended).

Just started:
- COBRA (UK drama starring Robert Carlyle)
- Iron Fist (Marvel show on Netflix)
- Mysteries of the Deep (Jeremy Wade series on Discovery, big fan of his other shows (River Monsters and Dark Waters) so thought it give this a go)

We are about three episodes into Trapped on Prime. Icelandic police procedural. Excellent so far. Stunning videography. Appealing actors I have certainly never seen before. The scenery and weather is like another character. Foreboding.

For the most part, subtitled not dubbed, if that is an issue. I used to have a preference for subtitles, but do not seem to have the attention span anymore. And the dubbing was so well done in Borgen. Although we usually have English subtitles on regardless.

Top Bottom