What's new

What TV series you watching?

Nothing. I wish I could find something new to watch, but everything from about 2010 onward is too "woke" for its own good. I've been randomly watching old shows on Amazon Prime, but I haven't discovered one that I really love yet.

This isn't meant to be the start of a political discussion. Please don't take it that way.

I haven't watched news in months. The only thing I watch on US tv is Dr. Pol and Air Disasters. My wife finds Air Disasters interesting, but refuses to watch Doc Pol put his arm up some cow's a***. 90% of the time my wife and I watch Britbox or AcornTV. We dumped Netflix a few months ago. We are currently watching (for probably the 3rd time) "Waiting For God" from 1990 on Britbox. Britbox has other enjoyable shows like Shakespeare and Hathaway. Acorn has Brokenwood Mysteries and Mr & Mrs Murder.

If there is an opportunitiy I might look into Brave New World. As far as I remember, the book is quite a bit about free sex or promiscuity?!

Nothing. I wish I could find something new to watch, but everything from about 2010 onward is too "woke" for its own good. I've been randomly watching old shows on Amazon Prime, but I haven't discovered one that I really love yet.
This isn't meant to be the start of a political discussion. Please don't take it that way.
If by "woke" you mean touchy-feely, egg-shell, rainbow, unrealistic millennial rubbish, then I completely agree with you!
Give me "The Untouchables" any day!

A mate back in UK mentioned "Plebs" to me - set in Ancient Rome, a bit sweary (but then so am I) and certainly not "woke". It's on Britbox and ITV Hub.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
If there is an opportunitiy I might look into Brave New World. As far as I remember, the book is quite a bit about free sex or promiscuity?!

From what I understand (Haven't read the book yet but have read some reviews) yes. Monogamy and privacy is frowned upon in BNW, so orgies are a nightly activity seemingly.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I am not sure at all what to make of it. As I indicated previously, very unlike the Burr version. I do not see that Mason in this HBO version is even a lawyer, much less a highly skilled trial lawyer. He is a private investigator, which would have been Paul Drake's job in the Burr series. I am confident in the books, which go back quite a ways, Perry Mason was always a criminal trial lawyer. Do the writers not know the difference? Did they disagree with Erle Stanley Gardner's choice of occupations for his protagonist? Did they feel there was an extreme dearth of detectives in fiction and too many lawyers?

At this point, the story seems okay, but why call it Perry Mason. Kind of like putting out a new Sherlock Holmes story and making Holmes a banker in New York.

[I just looked it up. Apparently the HBO version is intended to be a prequel to the time Perry becomes a lawyer. We shall see if that makes any sense. Perry so far does not seem like the kid of guy who would be able to tough out law school and get past the bar exam, including the background check. Nothing so far indicates he would have the ability to evolve into an unshakeable, charismatic criminal (mostly capital case, if I recall) trial attorney. Weird.]

Just watched the last episode. Aha!

Currently watching The World According to Jeff Goldbloom. What an oddball that guy is! Some of the shows are informative... some not so much... but either way, he is so quirky, he is pretty much always entertaining!

Binge watched Sløborn last night till one in the morning. Great great stuff!!!

The series was filmed in August 2019!
Sløborn is about an influenza epidemic with Asian origin in Germany, starting on a German island near the Danish border. German television considered to broadcast the series at a later date due to the current COVID pandemic, but thankfully started to air on August 23rd.

It's quite shocking how close the author imagined how such an event will effect people and their behaviour. But what they didn't predict was, that instead of grocerys people would buy piles of toilett paper ... :c9:

I watched the first two episodes of a limited series called Vienna Blood, with Michael Beard as a young doctor named Max Liebermann, a English Jew in 1906 Vienna, who is interested in the psychopathy of crime. He teams up with an unwilling Viennese police inspector to observe and then solve the investigation of a murder, an impossible crime which for a change is clever.

Despite all the dim lighting and murky cinematography, I was intrigued and enjoyed episodes 1 and 2, which function as a unit and wind the mystery up nicely. Episodes 3 and 4 are on the same disc, and I hope they will also work like a separate novel and not drag the mystery arc out beyond that.

Apparently they are based on the Liebermann novels by Matt Tallis (?).

At the recommendation of one of our sons, we've started watching Alone, produced through the History channel. It sucked us in & now we're hooked. No way would I make it! Anyone think they could?

The Decades Channel has been running The Odd Couple with Jack Klugman and Tony Randall from the early '70s. A time capsule of clothing styles -- Felix dressed a bit more colorfully than I remembered. It's also still very funny, with wonderful timing from the two leads and writers who knew how to set up a joke and make it pay off.

The intro with Felix presenting Oscar with his cast-off cigar, impaled on the end of Felix's umbrella, still makes me laugh every single time.

Top Bottom