What's new

What TV series you watching?

So disappointed that they only managed two short seasons of "The Knick." And yes, it is dark and dirty, as was surgery in the era portrayed. Fascinating viewing, based loosely on the career of pioneering surgeon William Halstead, and definitely worth a binge or two.

+1 I thought it was excellent and I really enjoyed it.

One more post on "Please Like Me" and then I am going to shut up for a while, or try to. :) I do not know whether this is a sign of the breadth and versatility of the show, and thus something good, or the expression of a certain scattered quality, but things have taken a dark, much more drama than comedy, turn. I think we are up to episode 8 of season 2, of 4 seasons, and around 40 episodes in all. So far I do not think drama is this show's casts and writers' strong suit, and frankly the shift seems jarring. Also a lot more sort of making out involving the lead character, that seems kind of gratuitous and which I thought might be a weak spot in the show for me from the description. I guess the younger female characters are starting to seem off to me, too, at least for a drama FWIW.

A quick separate post, although the production values have seemed weak, I thought the Outer Limits has held up pretty well.

Six Feet Under was my favorite show ever for awhile. But I found that it was so dark it seemed to be darkening my mood in general. If you loved that part of 6FU, PLM may be headed in the right direction for you!

Since I"m too cheap to pay for Netflix or any of the others and would have to also get a VPN to see the CONUS shows, I'm watching a lot of YouTube..
The Legend of the Lone Ranger with Clayton Moore
Highway to Heaven with Michael Landon and Victor French
Nero Wolfe with Timothy Hutton and Maury Chaykin
Miscellaneous old movies like Charlie Chan or Fred & Ginger
and
My son's new Storytime show for Preschooler' "Good Morning Mr. Channing".
He's only done one episode and is still low budget (using his iPhone) and can't keep his cat out from under foot, but all stars have to start somewhere.

i've just finished Altered Carbon on Netflix. The first season was a brilliant Sci Fi Noir even if it, like too many Netflix productions, had way too much more gore than tasteful or needed. Season two had just as much bloodshed, but it was also among the worst modern shows I've seen. The plot was just as well written as an early 1970's season of Star Trek and the acting matched the plot.

altered-carbon-netflix.jpg

The plot was just as well written as an early 1970's season of Star Trek and the acting matched the plot.
Polarbeard,
That's some pretty LOW praise...:sleep12::sleep12:

The plot was just as well written as an early 1970's season of Star Trek and the acting matched the plot.
Polarbeard,
That's some pretty LOW praise...:sleep12::sleep12:
Indeed it is, but If you go to IMDB.com and read the viewer reviews posted there you'll find that I'm rather kind compared to the judgement of most reviewers. Then again I really did like the first season.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I do not know whether this is a sign of the breadth and versatility of the show, and thus something good, or the expression of a certain scattered quality, but things have taken a dark, much more drama than comedy, turn.
If you loved that part of 6FU, PLM may be headed in the right direction for you!

i've just finished Altered Carbon on Netflix. The first season was a brilliant Sci Fi Noir even if it, like too many Netflix productions, had way too much more gore than tasteful or needed. Season two had just as much bloodshed, but it was also among the worst modern shows I've seen. The plot was just as well written as an early 1970's season of Star Trek and the acting matched the plot.

I'm with you. I loved season 1, but I didnt even finish the first episode of season 2. I also gave it to my 84 year old mother to watch. She liked season 1. She told me to "put that in the garbage where it belongs." LOL.

Very funny, Mike. I agree re Altered Carbon, and I have watched more than one episode of season 2. The books seem similar as the first one is great and I do not seem to be able to get into the latter ones.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My wife insisted we try Breaking Bad. I'm not so thrilled with it as most seem to be. We're only three or so episodes into it.

I'm also watching Janet King on Acorn. It's okay, but not great. I compare 'em all with Line of Duty and Blue Bloods which I like for different reasons.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Since I"m too cheap to pay for Netflix or any of the others and would have to also get a VPN to see the CONUS shows, I'm watching a lot of YouTube..
The Legend of the Lone Ranger with Clayton Moore
Highway to Heaven with Michael Landon and Victor French
Nero Wolfe with Timothy Hutton and Maury Chaykin
Miscellaneous old movies like Charlie Chan or Fred & Ginger
and
My son's new Storytime show for Preschooler' "Good Morning Mr. Channing".
He's only done one episode and is still low budget (using his iPhone) and can't keep his cat out from under foot, but all stars have to start somewhere.

Nero Wolfe (I have the DVD set) is wonderful. I've read all the books and short stories many times. Hutton nailed Archie. Wolfe is way off; Mr. Wolfe very rarely raises his voice in real life, but still the production is a great rendition. I know some think Nero Wolfe is fiction but they're wrong.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My wife insisted we try Breaking Bad. I'm not so thrilled with it as most seem to be. We're only three or so episodes into it.

The first season is the weakest. They made the first season and shopped it around to all the major premium networks, HBO, Showtime etc. and no one wanted it. AMC was the last network on their list and their last hope. They ran with it.

It is a fantastic character study of the downward spiral of greed and self destruction. All the characters are outstanding as is the writing and acting. I swear someone on the production team has insight in the criminal underworld because they have a very firm grasp on realism.

Stay with it, you'll be rewarded.

The first season is the weakest. They made the first season and shopped it around to all the major premium networks, HBO, Showtime etc. and no one wanted it. AMC was the last network on their list and their last hope. They ran with it.

It is a fantastic character study of the downward spiral of greed and self destruction. All the characters are outstanding as is the writing and acting. I swear someone on the production team has insight in the criminal underworld because they have a very firm grasp on realism.

A big +1 from me on this.

Absolutely. I put it off for a long time, the subject matter I thought would be a problem for me (I'm a bit of a hypochondriac). I wasn't blown away by the first episode but I kept watching and after that I was hooked. I now consider Walter White to be one of the finest fictional creations of all time.

Nero Wolfe (I have the DVD set) is wonderful. I've read all the books and short stories many times. Hutton nailed Archie. Wolfe is way off; Mr. Wolfe very rarely raises his voice in real life, but still the production is a great rendition. I know some think Nero Wolfe is fiction but they're wrong.

Happy shaves,

Jim

While I like Maury Chaykin in the first episode or two, his increased tendency to yell at people has really put me off the latest ones.
I will keep watching it, however, because I love the music, Archie's strut, the ensemble characters and, most of all, the suits and hats... it's a very stylish show.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
While I like Maury Chaykin in the first episode or two, his increased tendency to yell at people has really put me off the latest ones.
I will keep watching it, however, because I love the music, Archie's strut, the ensemble characters and, most of all, the suits and hats... it's a very stylish show.

I blame the director. Yes, the clothes are great. I'm not sure the real life Archie would have worn some of what Hutton gets away with, but Hutton still nails it.

Archie and I play poker, usually at Saul's; when I take everyone's money too quickly we sometimes watch the show. Archie approves of the styling suits and such.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom