What's new

What TV series you watching?

Recently finished "Two Weeks to Live" which we enjoyed. Would forgive it anything just for the one scene in the first ep. I laughed out loud. A rare half-hour-episode show, which we value as "gap fillers" some days.

Almost to the end of the first season (of two) of "Signs" on Netflix. Rural Polish police. Will watch S2.

Also watched the first ep of "Beforeigners" on HBO.

In current productions we're also watching "The Nevers" and "Mare of Easttown" as episodes drop.

It looks like all we do is watch TV :p Probably more than usual as we're in process of switching from years of FiOS TV+Tivo to streaming, so watching all sorts of things to sort of get comfortable with cord cutting.

Finished the 4-part miniseries about Catherine the Great of Russia, with Helen Mirren. A gorgeous film. But it seemed to be less about Catherine's achievements as a ruler (and if I read the Britannica article aright, she deserved the nickname) and more about her in-bed and other escapades with her general Grigori Potemkin. I've been loaned the 2-part series about Elizabeth I with Helen in the title role, and I hope it is more rounded and developed.

Mare of Easttown. Mini-series with Kate Winslet as a small town detective. Kate is a great talent that isn't on screen as much as she should be. It's too bad she doesn't have a super hero franchise, or else she'd be in higher demand.

Mare of Easttown. Mini-series with Kate Winslet as a small town detective. Kate is a great talent that isn't on screen as much as she should be. It's too bad she doesn't have a super hero franchise, or else she'd be in higher demand.
ya know I was not sure seeing previews but I am really liking that show so far !

Finished the 4-part miniseries about Catherine the Great of Russia, with Helen Mirren. A gorgeous film. But it seemed to be less about Catherine's achievements as a ruler (and if I read the Britannica article aright, she deserved the nickname) and more about her in-bed and other escapades with her general Grigori Potemkin. I've been loaned the 2-part series about Elizabeth I with Helen in the title role, and I hope it is more rounded and developed.
The first hour of Elizabeth I with Helen Mirren, and Jeremy Irons as her long-time confidant Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, was quite good. I don't recall the Elizabeth R series from the '70s with Glenda Jackson, so I'm not comparing Helen's portrayal to that. She, Helen I mean, is convincing -- charming and yet commanding when need be, like the original.

Barbara Flynn plays Mary Stuart, Queen of the Scots. Despite the historical fact that Elizabeth and Mary never met in person, Part I has a scene where Liz meets with the imprisoned Mary. Someone did some proper research, though: Flynn's Mary speaks with a French accent, as the real Mary would have (she was brought up in France, her first husband was French, and she spent very little of her life in Scotland or England).

Currently, I'm hooked on:

Mare of Easttown (Kate Winslet nails her character... amazing) HBO

Godfather of Harlem, Season 2. Epix

The Mosquito Coast, AppleTV
This one really sucked me in.
(Great series with Justin Theroux who played the cop in an older hbo series called The Leftovers)

The Undoing, with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant. Adapted by David E. Kelley from a novel, it begins with a portrait of a light-hearted, happy Manhattan upper-class marriage, and then races into darkness with solid twists ending each chapter so far. There are 6 episodes, and I've finished No. 3.

"Peaky F**** Blinders"

And here is a screenshot from S1E3

Безымянный.jpg

The Undoing, with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant. Adapted by David E. Kelley from a novel, it begins with a portrait of a light-hearted, happy Manhattan upper-class marriage, and then races into darkness with solid twists ending each chapter so far. There are 6 episodes, and I've finished No. 3.
I'm less thrilled with this now. Like so many "entertainments" today, and especially anything from the computer of David E. Kelley, there is a constant drumbeat of "woman good, man bad." I suspect that if the character accused of a murder (as Hugh Grant's doctor is here) were a woman, we'd have a series of flashbacks showing us that she was "desperate" or "backed into a corner" or "emotionally at the end of her rope" or "temporarily insane" as partial justifications for the crime. A man? He's just bad, testosterone is evil, there can be no justification or extenuating circumstances, hang him high.

I'll watch the remaining 2 episodes to see if the solution to the mystery contains even a minor thunderbolt. (I'll agree that Big Little Lies managed that in Season One, so Kelley's productions are not all to be dismissed out of hand.) But this anti-male attitude is annoying, and a good reason why I watch very little produced since around 1990.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Rewatching Connections with James Burke again. A brilliant show and you pick up different nuances each time you watch it.
The first series was the best.
71p5NGAr7XL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Crusader Rabbit, the Collector's Edition DVD set from 1950-52. The first animated TV series, and one of the earliest TV shows I grew up with as a kid in the early 1950s. My wife left the room halfway thru the 1st episode of Crusader Rabbit vs The State of Texas. She's obviously not a fan of 50s TV. Some of these are on youtube, but I sprung for the DVD set. Crusader Rabbit and Rags the Tiger were the forerunners of what was to later become Rocky & Bullwinkle.

Top Bottom