What's new

What TV series you watching?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
For all the weight of disappointment over the sudden end and loss of the series that the movie had to carry, I thought the movie Deadwood was about as good as it could be. Still made me sad to see it off into the sunset.
Was a big fan of the series. I’ve recently rewatched some early episodes. I thought the movie was fine. Certainly better than nothing.

The wife and I have been binging Breaking Bad. We are super late to the party, but MAN what a great show! We are in the middle of season 3.
It has the grand flavor, once you finish and look back on it, of a great novel. It really does. It was all the rage a few years ago, but I was not sure I'd like it. Then Miss Linda brought Season One over, and I found it fascinating from the start. Plus the setting of Albuquerque made it distinct from every other TV show and movie filmed and set near L.A.

I would consider Breaking Bad to have the artistic depth and "importance" of a great novel. I remember avoiding it for a while, thinking I would not like it. I cannot really remember why other than that it seemed to be so popular and the premise seemed a bit pretentious and/or far-fetched. But it is wonderful television. A meaningful drama in every respect, across its every season. I find it uplifting that it is as popular as it is.

I'm going to have to revisit Breaking Bad. I started it a couple of years ago and for some reason gave up on it. I was only 4 or 5 episodes in if I remember.

SOAP. My wife and I watched it in the late 70s when it was on tv, and came across DVDs of the first two seasons after a recent move. It's even funnier watching it during this woke era. Uh-oh, I think I hear the thought police knocking at our door.
When Soap premiered, I simply could not get into it. I guess I expected it to be more deadpan humor mixed with drama, like Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman (itself an acquired taste!). Then, one night in '87, watching a rerun of it, I realized:

It's a comic strip! If you replaced Burt with a penguin (a la Opus in Bloomfield County), not much would change! After that I got to like it quite a bit.

Blacklist and the three NCIS series are about all that capture any interest of mine. Now the wife??
-Snowpiercer (just what is that show about anyway?)
-FBI
-FBI: Most Wanted
-9-1-1
-9-1-1 Lone Star
-SEALS
-That insipid show about homesteaders (Kilchers) in Alaska. Can't remember the name
-Transplant
-New Amsterdam
........No doubt some others I have omitted, mostly because I don't remember them all. I don't watch them😖

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Ted Lasso - Apple+

We enjoyed it very much. I didn't know what to expect going in, but we ended up binge watching the first 5 episodes until the wee hours. Finished the series the next evening.

Miss Linda has gotten Better Call Saul Season 5, and we're working our way through it. Good stuff, except that I'm hazy on what went before; I'll have to go to episode summaries of previous seasons on IMDb to refresh my memory.

The Decades Channel had a binge of the 1960-64 TV series Route 66 with Martin Milner, George Maharis, the pre-Sting Ray Corvette that carries them around the country, and a slew of guest stars who later became, or already were, big names. Episodes I watched this weekend had Ed Asner as a boxer's manager/trainer (the boxer was played by Darren McGavin), Anne Francis, Martin Sheen, James Caan, and more, with directing chores handled by the likes of Sam Peckinpah and Robert Altman. A solid little series.

One Season Two entry, "The Thin White Line," features a bravura performance from Milner, as his character Tod accidentally gets a dose of a hallucinogen and plunges into a long night's journey of incredibly heightened sensation, euphoria, delusions, and at last depression. If you only know his workmanlike performance on Adam-12 (and working for Jack Webb would have blunted the style and energy of any actor), you're in for a surprise.

I think we have an episode and 1/2 to go in the first season of Fortitude. Pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation, haggis.

We do not like it as much as Trapped or Deadwind, and it seems a bit sci-fi as opposed to police procedural. But still well-worth watching.

Verónica Echegui is appealing as Elena.

Top Bottom