What's new

What TV series you watching?

nobody in the man in family's big upper-class house ever seems to turn on a lamp.
I have not seen the show, but that seems like twist on shows set in modern office buildings, where in the middle of the night characters are operating under small desk lights instead as bright as the noon day sun typical florescent office lighting! Something that always seemed mannered to me!

I have not seen the show, but that seems like twist on shows set in modern office buildings, where in the middle of the night characters are operating under small desk lights instead as bright as the noon day sun typical florescent office lighting! Something that always seemed mannered to me!
It was atmospheric -- the first hundred times movies tried it.

Of course, if the heroes are burglarizing or moving clandestinely about the offices, they wouldn't want an overhead light on . . . but then you'd think they'd use a flashlight, or in modern Mission: Impossible style they'd have infrared lenses.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I'm trying to watch the Mandalorian but without much success. I've made it through three or four of the episodes but so far it's just plain boring, disconnected, without much of a plot or story.

Detectorists!
749E7EC9-B368-4C60-8FEB-51429D350191.jpeg

Another quirky lil gem 😁

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
"Father Knows Best" usually every AM that I get my lazy carcass out of bed during the week. It's on "Antenna TV".

And yes, TV shows in the late 50's early 60's were better.......now get off my lawn you kids!?!

"Father Knows Best" usually every AM that I get my lazy carcass out of bed during the week. It's on "Antenna TV".

And yes, TV shows in the late 50's early 60's were better.......now get off my lawn you kids!?!
True, FKB and similar shows presented an idealized view of American family life. But their idealized view and the outside world's reality were not so very far apart. We had a culture where manners counted, where people dressed up to be seen in public, where (outside the big cities) it was possible to leave your car and your house unlocked, where cultural norms were enforced partly by law and partly by societal pressure. (For instance, wearing good clothes when you went out of the house. If you dressed like a bum, people treated you like a bum, and if you had any self-respect at all, you stopped doing that.)

So if FKB and Leave It To Beaver were near perfection on a cultural scale, say, 95% out of 100%, the outside America might well have been at 85%. The two points were not that far apart.

Now? FKB = 95%, 2020 America = 35%. Of course the old TV programs "look funny."

FarmerTan

True, FKB and similar shows presented an idealized view of American family life. But their idealized view and the outside world's reality were not so very far apart. We had a culture where manners counted, where people dressed up to be seen in public, where (outside the big cities) it was possible to leave your car and your house unlocked, where cultural norms were enforced partly by law and partly by societal pressure. (For instance, wearing good clothes when you went out of the house. If you dressed like a bum, people treated you like a bum, and if you had any self-respect at all, you stopped doing that.)

So if FKB and Leave It To Beaver were near perfection on a cultural scale, say, 95% out of 100%, the outside America might well have been at 85%. The two points were not that far apart.

Now? FKB = 95%, 2020 America = 35%. Of course the old TV programs "look funny."
It's funny, but did you ever notice that in old photos (I'm thinking of the ones we look at during family reunions) a lot were taken with men folk in a necktie, a nice hat if it's outdoors, ladies in their Sunday Best, usually self made?

Yes, film was relatively a luxury, so you didn't burn shots of folks sitting around in pajamas (you know, the kind you go to Walmart in) but..... I remember when you didn't sit around in your pajamas. You changed your clothes in your bedroom, lol. Unless it was a Saturday, and you figured dad was in a good mood!

Edit: just realized my good man that I did not compliment you on an EXCELLENT observation in your post. Well done!

My wife and I are currently binging WAITING FOR GOD, a 1990's Brit TV show. If you are of retirement age, and like Brit humor, it's a must watch series. Britbox only carries the first three seasons, so after watching them multiple times, I finally ordered us the complete series for Christmas. The DVDs are shipped from England, and are Region 2, so you need an all-region DVD player to view them. Fortunately, as a fan of European silent films, I've had an all-region BD/DVD player for years. My wife, who has refused to ever be in the same room as a silent film, finally sees my player's worth.

FarmerTan

My wife and I are currently binging WAITING FOR GOD, a 1990's Brit TV show. If you are of retirement age, and like Brit humor, it's a must watch series. Britbox only carries the first three seasons, so after watching them multiple times, I finally ordered us the complete series for Christmas. The DVDs are shipped from England, and are Region 2, so you need an all-region DVD player to view them. Fortunately, as a fan of European silent films, I've had an all-region BD/DVD player for years. My wife, who has refused to ever be in the same room as a silent film, finally sees my player's worth.
I laughed because we might have married the same woman. Amazing how I look brilliant to her about three times a decade!

My wife and I watched that show on PBS in the early 90's. She loves it even more than I. That and "Mrs. Bucket" or whatever it was called. And the one about the department store.

So MANY of those old British shows could not be made today because we've lost our collective minds!

Would Archie Bunker or Fred Sanford be allowed today?

We laugh so we don't cry. Sad times.

FarmerTan

Just got the complete series of Quantum Leap in Blu-Ray for Christmas. Very good show and looking forward to watching all of it.
I loved Scott Bacula in this. It was the most underappreciated show on at the time. It was "Must See TV" for my wife and I.

That and "Mrs. Bucket" or whatever it was called.

That show was called "Keeping Up Appearances". It's a classic. Hyacinth's last name was spelled "Bucket", but she pronounced it "Bouquet". We've owned the complete dvd set for years. Another series you and your wife might enjoy is "As Time Goes By", with Judy Dench. The 2000 Dench movie "The Last of the Blonde Bombshells" is also a little-known great.

It's funny, but did you ever notice that in old photos (I'm thinking of the ones we look at during family reunions) a lot were taken with men folk in a necktie, a nice hat if it's outdoors, ladies in their Sunday Best, usually self made?

Yes, film was relatively a luxury, so you didn't burn shots of folks sitting around in pajamas (you know, the kind you go to Walmart in) but..... I remember when you didn't sit around in your pajamas. You changed your clothes in your bedroom, lol. Unless it was a Saturday, and you figured dad was in a good mood!

Edit: just realized my good man that I did not compliment you on an EXCELLENT observation in your post. Well done!
Thank you, sir! I worked in IT for some years and deal with spreadsheets and budgets now, so despite my fiction-writer's romantic streak (which at times is larger than a streak, more like a river), I like to quantify things and build up analogies. And though I live alone, I still prefer to get dressed in real clothes as soon as possible after getting up.

(Did you change your avatar? I kind of liked Floyd the Barber.)

FarmerTan

Thank you, sir! I worked in IT for some years and deal with spreadsheets and budgets now, so despite my fiction-writer's romantic streak (which at times is larger than a streak, more like a river), I like to quantify things and build up analogies. And though I live alone, I still prefer to get dressed in real clothes as soon as possible after getting up.

(Did you change your avatar? I kind of liked Floyd the Barber.)
LOL! Yes I did change my avatar. I'm about to change it back, as I miss Floyd as well. He was a strange man, just like I am (tho in completely different ways). You couldn't find a single customer of mine when I cut hair for a living that would tell you I was normal.

FarmerTan

That show was called "Keeping Up Appearances". It's a classic. Hyacinth's last name was spelled "Bucket", but she pronounced it "Bouquet". We've owned the complete dvd set for years. Another series you and your wife might enjoy is "As Time Goes By", with Judy Dench. The 2000 Dench movie "The Last of the Blonde Bombshells" is also a little-known great.
That's the one! We loved it. That poor woman, and her sister the "trollope" (if I spelled that right) and her long suffering husband... One thing the Brits do SO WELL is assuming the viewer has an extra brain cell. American TV that tries to be funny aims so often for low hanging fruit.

Finished - The Undoing. Agreed w/ the commentary that this feels like we are watching a Lifetime Movie (or a 80's soap opera) with HBO cinematography (and Nicole Kidman's eyes). Between this and Big Little Lies - I think Nicole Kidman's going to get typecast in the posh people in unfortunate situations genre.

Finished - Mandalorian - My wife loves the "baby Yoda show" - I do think this show is made for kids as the writing feels like we are playing a video game complete with side missions. [ I think there was some commentary above to this effect ]

Watching - HBO's His Dark Materials - My wife calls this Game of Thrones meets Harry Potter. Beautifully filmed (as most HBO shows are). Interesting enough to keep going.

Have not started (the new season) but is next : The Expanse - complete with a fake Jon Snow - The TV series is better than the books, great set of a characters and people, flawed and intense. Not sure where the plot's going but has us hooked.

I have The Undoing on Amazon Prime to watch, but I am still not sure if the mem-sahib will like it. We've started on Industry on BBC iPlayer, 2 episodes in. It's OK and for someone who used to work in the Square Mile, I can relate somewhat although these days the excess is just not there any more - I work for a reinsurance broker and our London office banned lunchtime drinking 2 years ago. It's just all the diversity boxes are ticked and it feels forced, but that's like all UK TV now.

Top Bottom