What's new

What TV series you watching?

Just discovered Bridget & Eamon on Amazon Prime. It's a low budget, corny Irish comedy sitcom that genuinely makes me laugh at least twice in every episode. I find the female lead, Jennifer Zamparelli, incredibly attractive despite her ridiculous persona on the show. Bernard O'Shea, the male lead, is also hilarious. It's a little risque but nowhere near as much as trashy American TV.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Currently watching “The Casketeers” a documentary style series which is about a family run Funeral Directors from New Zealand. My new favourite TV series.

My wife and I are almost finished with Money Heist on Netflix. We have really liked it. Good action. Appealing characters. Good plot twists.

I thought Perry Mason was sort of okay by the end. I really like the actors. I assume the next season will be a lot more like the original series. I am just not at all convinced of this as the back story to the Perry (or Della, or Paul, although I really like the new Paul Drake) many of us came to know and love. But it looks like they got there in the end.

I was rewatching a couple of favorite episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Currently, I'm watching The Umbrella Academy and Good Omens.

My wife and I are almost finished with Money Heist on Netflix. We have really liked it. Good action. Appealing characters. Good plot twists.

I thought Perry Mason was sort of okay by the end. I really like the actors. I assume the next season will be a lot more like the original series. I am just not at all convinced of this as the back story to the Perry (or Della, or Paul, although I really like the new Paul Drake) many of us came to know and love. But it looks like they got there in the end.
We have looked at the series, is it dubbed in English or subtitled?

I thought the same. The last two episodes turned it around for me, at least with hope for the next season. I thought it was kinda cool and neat to end it more or less with the client's entry of the first Perry Mason novel ("Velvet Claws").

Actors, atmosphere and music were overall great though, also nice that they worked in the original music of the old series at the end.

We have looked at the series, is it dubbed in English or subtitled?
I think there is actually a choice, and you can have either, at least on our TV/FIOS box set up. The dubbing is very well done. I would say we usually watch it with both English dubbing and English subtitles on.

Great post re Perry Mason, Cracker. I agree. You picked up more nuance than I did. I did notice the original music at the end. All of that indicates a respect for the original works, which I think bodes well for the next season.

I've been watching What We Do In The Shadows series. Loved the movie and the series really has grown on me. Some great guest stars and has started a cool plot in season 2.

An episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour from 1963, "Terror in Northfield." Dick York plays a young sheriff in a small town in Northern California which is rocked by a series of murders. I saw it in the '80s, and recalled it now because it was written by Leigh Brackett and based on a novelette by Ellery Queen. Brackett, you remember, wrote the screenplay of The Big Sleep and penned crime, Western, and SF stories and movies -- including the initial draft of The Empire Strikes Back. Ellery Queen was, of course, the two cousins who produced the 1929-1972 series of novels and short stories about amateur detective Ellery Queen, "the American Sherlock Holmes."

This script, and the novelette it's based on, do not feature Ellery, and the detection is minimal. But the essential clue in both has echoes of certain EQ stories. And the TV episode stands by itself as a good hour of entertainment.

Interesting detail: the Northfield town square is the same big set used 22 years later in Back to the Future!

Watching two right now. Ozark and Designated Survivor.

Everyone has been raving about Ozark so I’m now well into the first season. While it’s got some interesting angles, I am not finding it up to the rave reviews despite having a really good cast. I’m finding it quite predictable. And that makes it less than compelling for me.

Designated Survivor on the other hand has been nail biting for me over the first 7 episodes. So far I’m a big fan.

Its not so much the entire series -- I've seen each episode more times than I can count. But the second aired episode of Star Trek: The Original Series, "Charlie X," still sings today. Even cut up by MeTV on last night's airing, it still stands as one of the best of any ST series. The director, Lawrence Dobkin, was an actor himself (I've seen him now in Have Gun -- Will Travel and a slew of other vintage series), and he knew how to make scenes work. That final part of Act IV -- in composition, pacing, sound, and lighting, as well as the great performance by Robert Walker Jr. -- is a manual on how to make your viewer sit, tense and waiting to see what happens, even when he's seen it nnn times.

Shameless. On the surface, just going by the description, I didn't think I'd like the show but I was somewhat desperate for a new series (to me) to watch after finishing The Umbrella Academy and I like William H. Macy as an actor. I'm now 2 seasons in and find myself pretty invested in the Gallagher clan and their world. A lot of the characters are hot messes yet are somehow endearing at the same time for the most part. (One big exception - Monica. I hate the character and find her very annoying. The fact that the character is very sick doesn't change that for me.) Joan Cusak was a nice surprise and this may be the best thing I've seen her in. She was responsible for one of the biggest laughs so far in the series for me. (Go to the light!! Your sins are forgiven!)

Top Bottom