What's new

What Tobacco Are You Trying For The First Time?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Lately I've been on a Va kick, happily smoking Mac Baren Va#1, Va Flake, and Sutliff Red Va Crumble Kake. I find that good Va's are both light and flavorful at the same time, have wonderful burn characteristics (i.e., don't need many relights and burn down to dry ash), and have little/no aftertaste.

In my last order that I received yesterday, I got a 3.5 oz tin of HH ODF. It was a refill after using up my sample that someone here on the forum graciously gifted me. I love this stuff.

In an effort to branch out a bit and continue learning about pipe tobaccos, I included some MB Golden Extra and HH Burley Flake. Had some bowls yesterday but am still trying to figure out the taste. Tastes for me seem to develop over several days of smoking, as though my tongue has to get used to stuff. Definitely burns cooler than Va, and the flavor/aroma is more subtle. After getting used to Va, I have to work harder to pick out the flavors and smells.

Also threw in some Capstan (the yellow flake tin) and C&D Manhattan Afternoon, but won't crack these open until I finish up my current three tins of Va that I'm working through.
MacBaren needs to start sending me commission. :lol:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Briar Fox and Angel Share.jpg
Bought some more mason jars to put away some not so recent receipts of tobacco. The Briar fox hit me just right as I was putting it in jars so I had to try some. Putting it away it smelled like plumb pudding.

Smoking it started with mild grassy flavours . . . re-lit once and this was way down the bowl so singed off some thumb hair . . . youch. Post smoke I can taste the fruity flavours.

Here it is in my Angel Share pipe . . . somewhat roomier than it looks due to some faults in the briar that have been burnt out.

Got a great deal on a tin of SPC Plum Pudding a few weeks ago. Just loaded up my first bowl and am puffing away happily on the porch.

...even better is Plum Pudding Special Reserve.

I managed to get ahold of some of that too but I haven't received it. I also purchased several of the other SPC blends recently where I could find a good deal but I haven't cracked them yet.

I think Joe Lankford is particularly adept with Latakia blends. He does some sort of magic that makes you take notice.

Had my first bowl of Dunhill tobacco, the 965. Bought 3 oz at this B&M store that really specializes in cigars yet has a big jar of the Dunhill among four or five others jars (the bulk Lane blends; 1-Q and such). I’m going back tomorrow to buy up the rest! Har har har... My town is sooo stupid.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Trying Dan Tobacco Da Vinci. The smell out of the bag/tin is divine. It reminded me of a salted amaretto margarita. Sadly, most of the flavor didnt cross over with the smoke. I did pick up some salty vibes, but it didnt do much for me. I have a few more bowls worth to see if im going to purchase a tin.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Peterson's Sherlock Holmes. Very tasty. A sweet Virginia blend that's very mellow but can bite if puffed too hard.

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Some 19 year old Frog Morton on the Town. I cracked the tin for about 15-20 minutes before I smoked. Normally, I'll open my tins, let them sit for 5-10 minutes, then pop the top back on and set them aside for a few days at the very least.

The first smoke was nice. I kept on thinking that this blend reminded me of a more subtle version of Bengal Slices, with a little less Orientals and spice. I didn't detect any of the vanilla notes that many describe in reviews, but after 19 years, some changes are to be expected.

20190726_154600.jpg

Top Bottom