What's new

What Tobacco Are You Trying For The First Time?

Tried Holger Danske Original Orange and Erinmore Flake for the first time yesterday.

The Holger Danske smelled great and while it was okay, I feel like I wanted to like it a lot more than I actually did. I’ll probably just save it for summer when smoking around the wife.

I didn’t think I was was going to be able to tolerate the Erinmore based on the smell when I first cracked the tin but it turned out to be a decent smoke.

Both were okay but I don’t think that I’ll be reordering. I’ll probably just stick with my Newminster Superior Round Slices. Yum.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Mine was moist enough, no issue there. But I was not particularly impressed, nothing bad, just kind of one dimensional and did not live up to the hype. Perhaps I'll mix it with something else.

Try it again in a week or so. If it still doesn't open up, put it away and try again in a month or so. I almost always prefer tinned tobacco better after it's had a chance to breathe and open up, opposed to when it's been freshly cracked.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Had a bowl of Early Morning Pipe this morning. While it's not the first time, it should be. I bought about 8 ounces of it back in February of 2017. It seemed kinda harsh and not very smooth. So I jarred it up and put it in the storage locker. bought a couple of more pounds of it last year, to make sure I had some before Dunhill went away. I had forgot the 8 ounces I purchased in 2017 and was smoking the fresher stuff from time to time to see if my taste buds would change.

I like Nightcap and others, But i just couldn't see what people liked about EMP? Well, I found that 2 year old jar of EMP this morning. Cracked it open and stuffed a Missouri Meerschaum hardwood full, and had some with a cup of tea.

Man! What only two years did to this stuff was amazing! Incredible smoke! Perfect moisture, only had to relight once after the initial tamp and it smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The ash in the bowl looked like it came off an expensive cigar. Great smoke and flavor. Been smoking fresh stuff for quite awhile, while waiting on my fledgling cellar to age. Starting to get two years now, on stuff I've been waiting to age. OGS, Escudo, FMC, PS LNT, LBF, LNF, EL, PE, and a few others coming up on 2 years. Some others just over a year.

I'm excited. :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Had a bowl of Early Morning Pipe this morning. While it's not the first time, it should be. I bought about 8 ounces of it back in February of 2017. It seemed kinda harsh and not very smooth. So I jarred it up and put it in the storage locker. bought a couple of more pounds of it last year, to make sure I had some before Dunhill went away. I had forgot the 8 ounces I purchased in 2017 and was smoking the fresher stuff from time to time to see if my taste buds would change.

I like Nightcap and others, But i just couldn't see what people liked about EMP? Well, I found that 2 year old jar of EMP this morning. Cracked it open and stuffed a Missouri Meerschaum hardwood full, and had some with a cup of tea.

Man! What only two years did to this stuff was amazing! Incredible smoke! Perfect moisture, only had to relight once after the initial tamp and it smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The ash in the bowl looked like it came off an expensive cigar. Great smoke and flavor. Been smoking fresh stuff for quite awhile, while waiting on my fledgling cellar to age. Starting to get two years now, on stuff I've been waiting to age. OGS, Escudo, FMC, PS LNT, LBF, LNF, EL, PE, and a few others coming up on 2 years. Some others just over a year.

Nice! I'm sure that it'll mellow and round out with more aging. I've only smoked EMP a few times, but it was four years old, and it was my first proper pipe. Pipe PIF. I thought it was delicious though.

You'll be glad to have aged those baccies you listed. I've had cigars that I preferred fresher, opposed to aged, but I'm pretty sure I've favored aged pipe tobacco over fresh of any blend that I've tried both of.

If you think EMP is good with a couple of years on it, you need to try GLP Chelsea Morning. You will be amazed!

OkieStubble

If you think EMP is good with a couple of years on it, you need to try GLP Chelsea Morning. You will be amazed!

I need to get some Chelsea Morning. I have read good things on it. G.L. Pease has so many different popular ones, it takes time to get all of them. I absolutely love Westminster and Odyssey, have a few tins of both aging. Have some Stonehenge aging as well. Need to pick up Chelsea, Haddo’s, Maltese Falcon and Quiet Nights are ones I have been wanting and will pick up eventually.

Are they similar? I have a tin of Chelsea Morning that's just shy of ten years old.
Erik, let me put it this way. EMP was my routine morning smoke when I had a long commute. I love the stuff. That was my go to until I tried Chelsea Morning. They are similar but Chelsea Morning is more complex, smoother, and an all around superior smoke in my opinion. And that is right out of the tin. Put some age on it and it gets even more complex and the Latakia mellows a bit. With coffee or a nice strong tea (English Breakfast, but I prefer Scottish Breakfast or Irish Breakfast) it is phenomenal. With Pu Erh? For-ged aboudit (in my best Donnie Brasco voice).

I need to get some Chelsea Morning. I have read good things on it. G.L. Pease has so many different popular ones, it takes time to get all of them. I absolutely love Westminster and Odyssey, have a few tins of both aging. Have some Stonehenge aging as well. Need to pick up Chelsea, Haddo’s, Maltese Falcon and Quiet Nights are ones I have been wanting and will pick up eventually.
I am a huge fan of Greg's blends. There are some, of course that I don't care for, but the majority of them are incredible. If you like Latakia heavy blends, then I can't recommend Gaslight enough. It is a wonderful blend and it shines in a cob or Morta.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Just tried Lane Limited HGL for the first time in an MM Towne Cobbler. Very pleasant. A slightly sweet Cavendish/Light English with just a tad of Latakia. Some say it is RLP-6 with Latakia added. Certainly not Lat forward. Could be an all day smoke if I smoked all day, which I don't and probably never will. But I will buy more of it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I finally got around to breaking the seal on a tin of MacBaren HH Balkan Blend. Will be sampling later.

3BAE9A7A-20F1-4FBF-96A1-10E3803C176B.jpeg

OkieStubble

Just tried Lane Limited HGL for the first time in an MM Towne Cobbler. Very pleasant. A slightly sweet Cavendish/Light English with just a tad of Latakia. Some say it is RLP-6 with Latakia added. Certainly not Lat forward. Could be an all day smoke if I smoked all day, which I don't and probably never will. But I will buy more of it.

Sounds interesting. I have some RLP-6 and some Straight Lat from C&D. I might sprinkle a little taste of Lat into some RLP-6 and see what I get. :)

OkieStubble

Tried Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening. Picked up an ounce of bulk from the local B&M. Might have been a tad dry, cuz it was burning so hot, I couldn't hold the bowl. And I was just barely sipping the pipe slowly. Might have to re-hydrate it a little bit and try again at a later time.

A tin of C&D Crooner (burley, with Deer Tongue and liquor) was in today's mail. Supposedly one of Bing's favorites. First time I've tried Deer Tongue, kind of liking it, but not sure it will be a frequent thing. Small cube cut, burns hot, need to slow it down.

I've lately been trying a bunch of blends from Watch City Cigar & Pipe. So far, I'm impressed. Thus far I've tried:
Deep Elem, Virginia, Latakia, and Cavendish in perfect proportions. A blend which has now sadly been discontinued;
Deluxe Crumb Cut, a nice burley blend;
Fat Bastard, a Scottish Blend, what ever that is. I know it's good.
Nor'easter, a crumble cake described as "a blizzard of 8 different tobaccos including rough-cut burley, Perique. Black Cavendish. Turkish, and latakia." It is a very interesting smoke.
Persian Slipper, an English/Scottish with something extra. A good smoke.
Roanoke Limited Edition, I probably shouldn't mention this as it was indeed limited. A very good Virginia blend with some Turkish. I'm resisting smoking it all up.
Terrapin Station, a new blend paying homage to Deep Elem, not quite the same but very good in its own right.
Rhythm & Blues, a "red & black" Virginia blend which is top notch.
Watch City Slices, a burley, Kentucky fired, and Virginia flake - nice.
Old Dominion, bright and red Virginia with a hint of perique in cake sliced form; nice.
Flake 558, matured Virginia, stoved Virginias, Perique, fired Kentucy in a thick flake. Very good.
Ahab's Comfort, a "dark rich English flake of 60% latakia balanced out with Turkish, white burley, stoved cavendish, red Virginia and perique." Good stuff if you like the Lat.

And the one I have yet to try - The 4th Nun Returns. "Bright Virginias, burley and perique mingle with natural extracts of prune, fig and just a drop of rum. Presented in "Crumble Flake" format." This was another very Limited Edition and I have 8 oz. aging away.

What I can say without reservation is that Ernie Q is quite the blender. He has a small shop operation going and some blends are hard to get as they sell out quickly. But, they are worth the effort and wait. One blend I've yet to be able to buy is Simply Red. It sells out nearly instantly and Ernie is working to ramp up production.

Now, my only problem is figuring out which of that list to try and go deep in the cellar.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
HH Bold Kentucky in my Savinelli 673 KS roma.

Last day of a very rare vacation. I really don't vacation very well . . . mostly catching up with home maintenance etc. but I've had a very lovely week of enjoying some great tobacco. I decided to open up the pound of Bold Kentucky I that was delivered last week. I have to say I'm impressed by the packaging.

Two slices were perfect to twist into my pipe.

This night this might be the best tobacco I've had. (Don't ask me about my favourite movie or music . . . it really does change day to day but although I have different answers I think my answers are all very good . . . for me)

Bold Kentucky.jpg
Savinelli 673 KS Roma.jpg

Found an open tin of Escudo Navy De Luxe in a box of tins/jars I hadn't been into in a while. Currently smoking and enjoying it. I assume since the tin is open that I've smoked it before but I don't remember it so I guess it's new again...

OkieStubble

Haddo's for the first time. as I smoked thru the bowl, I found Lots of strong Perique in this stuff. It was all smooth at first and I was puffin' on it like a man at the beginning of the bowl, but that Perique kicked in and I was only puffin' like a boy by the end of the bowl. That Perique is strong and spicy!

Gonna need to put my big boy pants on to acclimate to this stuff.

Lately I've been on a Va kick, happily smoking Mac Baren Va#1, Va Flake, and Sutliff Red Va Crumble Kake. I find that good Va's are both light and flavorful at the same time, have wonderful burn characteristics (i.e., don't need many relights and burn down to dry ash), and have little/no aftertaste.

In my last order that I received yesterday, I got a 3.5 oz tin of HH ODF. It was a refill after using up my sample that someone here on the forum graciously gifted me. I love this stuff.

In an effort to branch out a bit and continue learning about pipe tobaccos, I included some MB Golden Extra and HH Burley Flake. Had some bowls yesterday but am still trying to figure out the taste. Tastes for me seem to develop over several days of smoking, as though my tongue has to get used to stuff. Definitely burns cooler than Va, and the flavor/aroma is more subtle. After getting used to Va, I have to work harder to pick out the flavors and smells.

Also threw in some Capstan (the yellow flake tin) and C&D Manhattan Afternoon, but won't crack these open until I finish up my current three tins of Va that I'm working through.

Top Bottom