What's new

What Tobacco Are You Trying For The First Time?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I tried SG Best Brown Flake with a bit of age on it. It started off as a no big whoop, and then opened up nicely. I already have a box coming.

Last week I opened a tin of John Cotton's 1&2 for the first time. This was tobacco I picked up cheap on Cigarbid over a year ago and it's been sitting on the shelf ever since. The tobacco seemed a bit on the dry side for a tin, but maybe that's normal with this blend? When I say 'on the dry side', I mean it was quite ready to smoke right out of the tin, no additional dry time needed. I found it to be a very pleasant, well balanced English blend that wasn't overpowering with any one component. Smokey enough to keep it interesting and smooth enough for repeated smokes. If I smoked an early morning pipe, which I rarely am able to do, this might just be my choice for a first pipe of the day. I originally purchased three tins, I may have to pick up some more.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I tried SG Best Brown Flake with a bit of age on it. It started off as a no big whoop, and then opened up nicely. I already have a box coming.

How much age did it have on it?

About 3 weeks ago, I tried (and enjoyed) Lane's Dark Red.

Lane Dark Red is the only cherry flavored tobacco that I can stomach. Granted, when I did try it, I mixed a little straight VA with it. From what I remember, the cherry flavor was very natural tasting. Not like sweet candy or cough medicine like pretty much every other cherry tobacco that I've smelled or tried.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Popped open a mason jar of Frog Morton Across The Pond this morning. Been aging 3 years. I have had it fresh before, but the tin note after opening a 3 year old jar was fantastic!

IMG_0665.jpg

Last weekend I picked up a tin of G.L. Pease Spark Plug. I’m on my third bowl. This is a very interesting English blend with a fair amount of Latakia and Oriental’s that blend well with the Virginia’s. The tin note is strong and wonderful. The solid block of tobacco slices easily and crumbles to your preferred consistency. Minimal relights are required with a nice steady burn. A creamy, tasty smoke. This blend will not be good for my TAD.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Last weekend I picked up a tin of G.L. Pease Spark Plug. I’m on my third bowl. This is a very interesting English blend with a fair amount of Latakia and Oriental’s that blend well with the Virginia’s. The tin note is strong and wonderful. The solid block of tobacco slices easily and crumbles to your preferred consistency. Minimal relights are required with a nice steady burn. A creamy, tasty smoke. This blend will not be good for my TAD.

Would you consider it Latakia heavy? Or is it pretty balanced overall?

Would you consider it Latakia heavy? Or is it pretty balanced overall?
Yea, it is Lat heavy, not a total Lat bomb given the other tobaccos showing up well. If you like Latakia, this is a fine smoke. If you don't favor Latakia, this might not be one for you. But hey, the tin art is great!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Popped open my first tin of Peterson's Old Dublin, not quite 2 yrs in the cellar, but I wanted a Pete baccy to break in my new Pete pipe. Only still on the first bowl but, it's pretty good!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I just received and tried Rattray's Exotic Passion. I don't really smoke aromatics too often and generally find their flavors overpowering but I'm really glad I got this one. It's nice having tobacco around that won't offend others and it is excellent IMHO. When laying it out for drying...geez it smells so darned good!

I’m trying anything i can get my hands on! I’m a newb to pipe smoking. Only smoked PA. So far I’ve bought to try:

- Amphora Sampler
- Murray’s 1921 Cunningham
- Mac Baren HH Rustica
- Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs
- Warped Until the End
- C&D Carolina Red Flake

I’m just waiting on 3 new pipes I’ve ordered to try them!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I’m trying anything i can get my hands on! I’m a newb to pipe smoking. Only smoked PA. So far I’ve bought to try:

- Amphora Sampler
- Murray’s 1921 Cunningham
- Mac Baren HH Rustica
- Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs
- Warped Until the End
- C&D Carolina Red Flake

I’m just waiting on 3 new pipes I’ve ordered to try them!
That Amphora sampler ought to help you dial in your initial preferences, nice pick up. Looks like you have a decent variety there. Let us know your impressions.

I picked up three new-to-me Wilkie blends a couple of weeks ago and have been giving them a thorough smoking.
#515, Lizzie Blood Red Virginia, and Surbrug's Crystal Palace.
The 515 is a nice aromatic with some character. Note that I don't usually smoke aromatics, but this might change my mind. Virginia and Black Cavendish with a Jamaica Rum topping. Pretty tasty in my Charles Towne Cobbler.
The Lizzie Blood Red is a Virginia blend with an orange topping that is not at all overpowering. A very nice smoke.
The Crystal Palace is an interesting blend of Black Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Perique, and Virginia. Reportedly from a pre-Civil War recipe, it is a very satisfying English smoke.

A friend sent me an ounce or two of a blend from Georgetown Tobacco called Shenandoah. It's burley & latakia with the burley out in front. It seems moist in the bag, but smells and burns wonderfully. I first smoked it in a small pipe, and wondered why it wouldn't take a re-light. Come to find I'd smoked the entire small bowlful on the first light!

Today was my first try at Mac Baren's Golden Extra. I'm a burley fan, and I like Half & Half's mix of burley and Virginia, so I thought I'd try this. It lit easily and burned well, 35 minutes total in a mid-sized billiard. Kind of a Carter Hall "cigarette" aroma to it at some moments -- is that the Va component? It was getting a little hot toward the bottom of the bowl, which is normal, I suppose: When I tapped it out there was almost nothing but ash left. It'll be interesting to try it in some of my other pipes.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I had my first bowl of Epiphany from a 2 oz. sample that I purchased recently along with Revelation Match. I prefer the Revelation, less Lat forward.

Top Bottom