What's new

What Tobacco Are You Trying For The First Time?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Have been sitting on 10 tins of Escudo for two years now. What is a good/decent age before popping a tin and trying it for the first time?

I waited two years. Not having tried it fresh, I had nothing to compare it with. I was prepared for Nirvana, but it was just OK. It may not be my cup of tea or just my inexperience with VaPers at the time. I need to revisit it, its been about a year I think since I last tried it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble , I dug out my mason jar of Escudo, just a week or two shy of being a year in the jar, so about three years old. I think I liked it better than a year ago, but still not Nirvana.

I picked up some Lane 1-Q on a whim in a recent order. To my knowledge I've never smoked it, but I understand it usually shows up re-branded in most B&M's, so who knows? I've smoked a couple of bowls of it thus far and I'm not sure where I am on it. I don't dislike it at all, but I'm not yet rushing out to buy pounds of it to hoard away. It seems a good middle of the road tobacco that doesn't try to be the "end all" and isn't trying to blow anyone away with nicotine or flavors or toppings; it's just a pretty good smoking tobacco that will do most any time or where and will go all day if need be.
Maybe I do need a pound or two.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I picked up some Lane 1-Q on a whim in a recent order. To my knowledge I've never smoked it, but I understand it usually shows up re-branded in most B&M's, so who knows? I've smoked a couple of bowls of it thus far and I'm not sure where I am on it. I don't dislike it at all, but I'm not yet rushing out to buy pounds of it to hoard away. It seems a good middle of the road tobacco that doesn't try to be the "end all" and isn't trying to blow anyone away with nicotine or flavors or toppings; it's just a pretty good smoking tobacco that will do most any time or where and will go all day if need be.
Maybe I do need a pound or two.

There is a YouTube vid from those Cob guys where they aged a jar of 1-Q and compared it to a fresh batch. They couldn’t tell the difference. That’s a good thing if you are cellaring for the tobaccolypse, bad if you are cellaring for aging.

Personally seeing how things are going, if you like it a lot and want to smoke it in the future, I would buy a couple pounds the next sale you see.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
@OkieStubble , I dug out my mason jar of Escudo, just a week or two shy of being a year in the jar, so about three years old. I think I liked it better than a year ago, but still not Nirvana.

2 yes is long enough to notice a difference from aging, but not long enough for nirvana. You must wait 10 yrs for Escudo to become divine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a YouTube vid from those Cob guys where they aged a jar of 1-Q and compared it to a fresh batch. They couldn’t tell the difference. That’s a good thing if you are cellaring for the tobaccolypse, bad if you are cellaring for aging.

Personally seeing how things are going, if you like it a lot and want to smoke it in the future, I would buy a couple pounds the next sale you see.
Good advice. The nice thing about 1-Q is constant availability at relatively low prices; the opposite of too many tobaccos.

2 yes is long enough to notice a difference from aging, but not long enough for nirvana. You must wait 10 yrs for Escudo to become divine.

I thought the general view was the bulk of the aging happened by about 5 years, and after that it's a bit of diminishing returns on it...

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I thought the general view was the bulk of the aging happened by about 5 years, and after that it's a bit of diminishing returns on it...

I don't know about that. My experience is that for Virginias and VaPers, you notice the effect of aging after a couple of years, and yes, it probably ages quickest in the early part of the age curve. But, having smoked a decent amount of aged Escudo, I can tell you that 5 yrs is tasty; 10 years is incredible; 20 years is divine; 30 is orgasmic; but after that most of the aging that will happen has already occurred and there is little aging that happens after that (but well preserved tobacco that's 50 or 60 or even more years old is still wonderful--its just not that much different than 30 or 40 year old tobacco).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don't know about that. My experience is that for Virginias and VaPers, you notice the effect of aging after a couple of years, and yes, it probably ages quickest in the early part of the age curve. But, having smoked a decent amount of aged Escudo, I can tell you that 5 yrs is tasty; 10 years is incredible; 20 years is divine; 30 is orgasmic; but after that most of the aging that will happen has already occurred and there is little aging that happens after that (but well preserved tobacco that's 50 or 60 or even more years old is still wonderful--its just not that much different than 30 or 40 year old tobacco).

I might save some to open in 30 years. Who wouldn't want orgasmic at 80? :)

These came in last week from Indonesia, flavored clove cigarettes. I can't smoke too many due to tapering off of a psych med but my neighbor (and her daughter) volunteered and said they were delicious.

SAM_2954.JPG

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I waited two years. Not having tried it fresh, I had nothing to compare it with. I was prepared for Nirvana, but it was just OK. It may not be my cup of tea or just my inexperience with VaPers at the time. I need to revisit it, its been about a year I think since I last tried it.

I have some LBF coming up on 3 years. It's good, but didn't knock my socks off either. i do have some 7 year old Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls I could compare against the 2 yer old Escudo?

Tried C&D's Bayou Morning Flake for the first time today. The tin note on this was amazing! To me it has a very sweet (almost honey like) smell with some bready notes and a nice spiciness to it. As for the smoke itself, it was a nice long cool smoke and it had a bit of a creaminess to it. The nicotine in this blend is quite strong and caught me off guard a bit. Overall I enjoyed this blend for the first smoke and look forward to having another bowl of it tomorrow. This one might be something to cellar!

Top Bottom