What's new

What to use to clean laminate wood flooring?

I have laminate wood flooring installed on my entire first floor. Since it has been installed years ago, I have been using Bruce laminate floor cleaner that I purchased from the "orange box". It works well but I am wondering if there are any superior products and/or cheaper solutions that are safe form my floor. I have been told that not to use a diluted vinegar/water mix.

Also I use the Bruce "mop". Basically it just has a microfiber cloth attached to the end. So basically you spray the solution and wipe it off.

Anyone use an well wrung mop instead of the spray and wipe method?

I am just afraid that a well wrung mop may still cause my floor to warp.

I use a swiffer or other dusting cloth to dust regularly, and a vacuum. for actual wet cleaning, I use a damp (not wet) cloth, wiping thoroughly, then follow briefly with a dry cloth to remove excess moisture. Of course, to do this you have to be down on your hands an knees. Which has it's advantages, you can see the floor up close.

I have used this method for 5+ years and my floor is as good a new.

I would not use a mop, as it would still have too much moisture.

Get a floor steamer. Amazon.com has several available with ratings on each. I bought the one named Monster after reading the reviews. These things are great. Wood or tile. Throw out the Bruce. It was what we used to use. The steamer will get up dirt you didn't know existed and the floor will stay cleaner.

Murphy's Oil Soap.

I heard some say to use Murphy's oil soap but I also have heard not to. So I am a bit hesitant.

Get a floor steamer. Amazon.com has several available with ratings on each. I bought the one named Monster after reading the reviews. These things are great. Wood or tile. Throw out the Bruce. It was what we used to use. The steamer will get up dirt you didn't know existed and the floor will stay cleaner.

I heard some have success with a floor steam while I heard some say not to use one at all. I would rather not take the risk.

I use Murphy's Oil Soap on my hardwoods, but I can't be much help with laminate because I am not that familiar with them.

Go out on Amazon.com and read the reviews or on consumer reports. You won't be disappointed in the results. It really doesn't put water on the floor, only steam vapor that is immediately wiped up.

But again, that is your call - your floors. We also used to use a MinWax product that seemed to be pretty good. But they all build up - especially Murphy's.

I don't have laminate floors, but I would stear clear of a mop and lots of water to avoid ruining the floor/glue that holds it down. I would probably use a Swiffer.

If you want to SCRUB the floors, you might try using a pump-up outdoor sprayer, with the nozzle set on the finest mist possible, similar to what comes out of a spray bottle. If you do do that and mop/scrub small sections, and then ensure they're thoroughly dry, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem. By using this method you could mix up water and any type of cleaner you choose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom