What's new

What to try…

Yeah, EGR has a little bit of latakia in it. That'll be your burning rubber taste. And for me it took a little getting used to, that purpley almost grape taste. But the more I had it, the more I got it and the more I liked it.

As far as keeping it from The Mrs., good luck with that. You'll not be able to hide an open pouch or that you've been smoking a pipe. If she has a functioning nose, you won't be able to hide it.

Think I’m going to try introducing the pipe this weekend semi jokingly on our camping trip.

Whatcha think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I’m going to try introducing the pipe this weekend semi jokingly on our camping trip.

Whatcha think?

You have a right to smoke your pipe as long as you don't infringe on other people. Don't let 'em tell you otherwise. Besides, you'll be outdoors, so no one should be able to complain about how it makes a room smell.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Whatcha think?

Why jokingly? Are you ashamed or scared? Smoke your tobacco pipe proudly and with conviction. Confidence is contagious.

Even in 2021, the ladies are attracted to a man that dares to smoke a pipe.

If anyone has a problem with the 'room' note, it's a big forest.

Whatcha think?

First of all, I just came back from a camping trip where I took 4 pipes and stopped at an amazing B&M where I probably spent way too much on tobacco (and a cob). Let me tell you, there is no greater pure simple joy than waking up in a tent, stepping outside, and having a bowl with a cup of hot coffee in that environment. Jokingly or not, you owe yourself that experience.

Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but the one you'll be springing this on is Mrs. Sniperx? I'll say again, you're not hiding anything from her. The scent of goodness will linger on your clothes and beard. You're almost trying to hide a new cologne from her while wearing it around her. My advice is "spring" it on her, but not jokingly. Be honest, not hiding in a closet. I cannot guarantee she'll be cool with it, but I can promise you'll get in less "trouble" by being forthcoming than you would sneaking around.

"Niche hobbies in a foreign county can be tricky." That was the opening line from your OP. That makes it sound like you're from Not Japan stationed/assigned/ whatever terminology for "living in Japan for work reasons". Am I reading that right? If so, I wonder if there isn't someone somewhere else who can send something your way?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
First of all, I just came back from a camping trip where I took 4 pipes and stopped at an amazing B&M where I probably spent way too much on tobacco (and a cob). Let me tell you, there is no greater pure simple joy than waking up in a tent, stepping outside, and having a bowl with a cup of hot coffee in that environment. Jokingly or not, you owe yourself that experience.

Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but the one you'll be springing this on is Mrs. Sniperx? I'll say again, you're not hiding anything from her. The scent of goodness will linger on your clothes and beard. You're almost trying to hide a new cologne from her while wearing it around her. My advice is "spring" it on her, but not jokingly. Be honest, not hiding in a closet. I cannot guarantee she'll be cool with it, but I can promise you'll get in less "trouble" by being forthcoming than you would sneaking around.

"Niche hobbies in a foreign county can be tricky." That was the opening line from your OP. That makes it sound like you're from Not Japan stationed/assigned/ whatever terminology for "living in Japan for work reasons". Am I reading that right? If so, I wonder if there isn't someone somewhere else who can send something your way?

Somewhere in there, I thought you were going to say something about PEP. ;)

It’s not that I’m ashamed or anything like that. There’s just a few things working against me. Wife is a nurse, medical pros always have strong opinions on these sorts of things. Next she hates cigarette smoke (so do I), I know they’re different….but. Lastly, a long ago previous boyfriend took up a pipe at one point. My own mental block doesn’t want to bring up those feelings for her.

I can imagine the camp pipe. An evening in my comfy chairs listening to the water splash. A groggy morning covered with dew as the sunrises. On and on….

I usually bring the pipe on motorcycle rides in the mountains and stop at overlooks or other rewarding points.

So far, I only smoke outside, one bowl, at best twice a week. Usually when she’s at work or the night shift. She’s probably thinking it’s anti mosquito smoke coils or burning yard waste or something.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
It’s not that I’m ashamed or anything like that. There’s just a few things working against me. Wife is a nurse, medical pros always have strong opinions on these sorts of things. Next she hates cigarette smoke (so do I), I know they’re different….but. Lastly, a long ago previous boyfriend took up a pipe at one point. My own mental block doesn’t want to bring up those feelings for her.

I can imagine the camp pipe. An evening in my comfy chairs listening to the water splash. A groggy morning covered with dew as the sunrises. On and on….

I usually bring the pipe on motorcycle rides in the mountains and stop at overlooks or other rewarding points.

So far, I only smoke outside, one bowl, at best twice a week. Usually when she’s at work or the night shift. She’s probably thinking it’s anti mosquito smoke coils or burning yard waste or something.

Long, long, long ago, a previous girlfriend of mine used to wear lipstick. Mrs. Columbo occasionally wears lipstick. But somehow we’ve stayed married all these decades anyway.

If she was around a pipe smoker before, I guarantee she knows you are smoking a pipe and not yard waste.

Face your fear and be genuine. The latter is the basis for respect. If you can’t at least be open with her about this new avocation, what does that say? A healthy argument over it is better than this unconfident cat and mouse play.

And that’s my attempt at Dear Abby for this week.

Well. I did it!

Last night I introduced the pipe to our lives. She was surprised, 13 years together and still something new pops up.

I clumsily loaded a grubby estate briar with some fresh Captain Black original. We had a good laugh relighting a hundred times while coughing and choking trying to “learn” how to smoke a pipe together.

She said it smelled like chocolate, but could tell when it was overheated because it got stinky. She sat downwind and didn’t complain much. Only when I made a huge cloud as she requested I blow smoke rings. This lead to more choking on my part….

All in all….I think I can keep it.

Well. I did it!

Last night I introduced the pipe to our lives. She was surprised, 13 years together and still something new pops up.

I clumsily loaded a grubby estate briar with some fresh Captain Black original. We had a good laugh relighting a hundred times while coughing and choking trying to “learn” how to smoke a pipe together.

She said it smelled like chocolate, but could tell when it was overheated because it got stinky. She sat downwind and didn’t complain much. Only when I made a huge cloud as she requested I blow smoke rings. This lead to more choking on my part….

All in all….I think I can keep it.
Dorothy Parker once had a character say that the one reliable rule in life was that everything would turn out worse than you thought it would be. Looks like she was wrong on this count. If you discover blends that you like and that your wife likes to whiff -- and there are plenty of chocolate/maple/molasses blends that make a fine smoke -- you'll both be happy.

She said it looks good, like a distinguished gentleman.

Oooo look at ME the dandy gentleman…oooo

Now I need a smoking jacket…..
(Damn hot for one here though….may stick to the hammock)

Well…

I’ve gone through and tested ALL my locally bought aromatics. I have come to appreciate I am a happy sailor on Captain Blacks boat. I like original for a whenever bowl. I like Dark to mix with other “lesser” products. Royal is ok, but beneath Original. 1-Q is almost the same as Captain Black original, except I can’t get it locally. It’s even better mixed with a a little Dark. Half and Halfnis ok, but pretty good mixed with Dark.

Miserable. EGR is a non starter. Just does nothing for me.

BUT….

I got some Old Dublin today. NOW this ain’t bad. Think it might give the capn a run for his money. It’s stronger though…so have to be careful. I got some Smokey flavors, some sweet bready tastes, some mystery rustic flavor, and of all things….some licorice now and again.

All were tested in a small bowl Kirsten half bent. Some were also tried in my favorite meerschaum.

Well…

I’ve gone through and tested ALL my locally bought aromatics. I have come to appreciate I am a happy sailor on Captain Blacks boat. I like original for a whenever bowl. I like Dark to mix with other “lesser” products. Royal is ok, but beneath Original. 1-Q is almost the same as Captain Black original, except I can’t get it locally. It’s even better mixed with a a little Dark. Half and Halfnis ok, but pretty good mixed with Dark.

Miserable. EGR is a non starter. Just does nothing for me.

BUT….

I got some Old Dublin today. NOW this ain’t bad. Think it might give the capn a run for his money. It’s stronger though…so have to be careful. I got some Smokey flavors, some sweet bready tastes, some mystery rustic flavor, and of all things….some licorice now and again.

All were tested in a small bowl Kirsten half bent. Some were also tried in my favorite meerschaum.

That's Peterson's Old Dublin?

Good to hear that you've settled on some favorites and are getting the hang of this pipe thing!

Yeah, Peterson’s Old Dublin. Is it still available? Ive read conflicting reports.

Top Bottom