What's new

What to try next?

You might like the Tatara Masamune in Open Comb.

Curious that you like the Black Beauty even though it's not Open Comb. What setting do you like on it? I have the FatBoy, Slim and the Black Beauty and I was quite surprised to find I like the Black Beauty better than the others. I had expected it to be same as the slim but it seems better somehow.
I use it on 7 typically with a Kai or Feather. Its a step down in comfort than my favorites though.
I too prefer the Black Beauty over the Slim or Fatboy. I prefer the head-heavy balance. I shave with it on setting “8” with a Lord family blade.
Ill go 8 occasionally with a Gillette yellow

Thanks everyone for the terrific input!

Wow I didn't know that was out there!

Yes sir! The SLOC is fantastic. I like it quite a bit even though I don't usually get on with OC razors.

I believe both it and the Ascension mentioned by @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker and @Cafebarian are based on the Grand Shave King vintage razor.

IIRC, @Ron R is a big fan of the SLOC and knows a fair bit about the GSK as well. Perhaps he'll be along in a bit to give some insight.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yes sir! The SLOC is fantastic. I like it quite a bit even though I don't usually get on with OC razors.

I believe both it and the Ascension mentioned by @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker and @Cafebarian are based on the Grand Shave King vintage razor.

IIRC, @Ron R is a big fan of the SLOC and knows a fair bit about the GSK as well. Perhaps he'll be along in a bit to give some insight.
There are few variants that are similar to the Grade shave King like the PAA Ascension, Yaqi Mellon head (Zamac V1) & (V2 in 316 SS) and the Razorock SLOC and few maybe I left out that do not come to mind. I just received my Yaqi Mellon head V2 today so will be testing it out soon.
The original GSK came in a few variants usually with different # of comb teeth from my limited research and was considered a mild razor. Yaqi V1 might be considered close to the GSK where Yaqi V2(no tab overhang) is closer to a mid range the fellows have mentioned so will confirm my thoughts over the next few days also. At the moment the Yaqi Mellon V2 head is on sale at Ali_express trending sale and with a Ali coupon combined you save some more dollars if some one is interested.
1678148115737.png

Have some great shaves!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
What to try next?

Hmm, you could always try the PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable in Rose Gold. Why? Its the smoothest shaving razor that I have ever used. It respects lather on your face so you can do multiple passes in the same spot without worry. You can adjust its aggression from super mild, to moderate aggression. The razor is built like a tank, and has a solid 4OZ of heft to it. And its literally the most gorgeous razor that I own.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

PAA also has this razor in nickel coated zamick, aluminum, and stainless steel. So if the copper version is out of stock still, or you can't afford the copper version, there are other options available if you so wish. In my experience, its always a great shave day, when I get to use my double open comb razor. 1-day whiskers? 7-day whiskers? Makes no difference to this razor, adjust the aggression, it hacks it down! Highly recommended razor.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars.

Based on what you've tried and has worked for you in the past, the PAA DOC Ascension razor might just be a decent fit. Even though it looks like a torture implement, it's actually on the mild side. I have it in stainless and aluminum. I would only ever reach for it if I wanted a mild shave and had no desire for a BBS. Cool looking razor!

Based on what you've tried and has worked for you in the past, the PAA DOC Ascension razor might just be a decent fit. Even though it looks like a torture implement, it's actually on the mild side. I have it in stainless and aluminum. I would only ever reach for it if I wanted a mild shave and had no desire for a BBS. Cool looking razor!
Interesting YMMV. After using a large handful of razors the PAA DOC Ascension gave me my very first BBS finish (neck shaver and this was after about 7 years or more wet shaving). As an example of razors after that give a true BBS finish the Lupo 72, homelike start 1.18 OC and Karve CB D OC do as well.

Even though not directly suggested, I purchased a Fatip Storto Slant OC. Some of the other suggestions sent me down a few rabbit holes and I landed on the Fatip. It wasn't bad but I didn't care for it. So the search continues.

The Ascension has been mentioned several times and I think it's going to be next. The Rex is of interest. When I find a deal on a used one I'll most likely try.

I just went to order the Ascension but the $50 version is now sold out. They have another for $88 and I cannot tell the difference between it and the cheaper version. The descriptions are identical including SS type.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I just went to order the Ascension but the $50 version is now sold out. They have another for $88 and I cannot tell the difference between it and the cheaper version. The descriptions are identical including SS type.

Hello there! I'm pleased to see you excited to ascend your shaving life, to a whole new level, with Ascension hehe.

PAA has lots of Ascension model sku's. Unfortunately, like you said, most of them are out of stock, including my Copper one.

Good news for you however, is they are still selling their 2nd highest quality Ascension model, the Stainless Steel!

1679515511293.png

This model costs what it does, not only because it has removable handle tips for customization, but also because the entire razor is literally made of Stainless Steel.

So, if your on the fence, don't be, it's quality that will last forever. The only Ascension razors i'd question for quality are the Nickel and Zamick models.

Copper is top of the line, Stainless Steel below that, and then their Nickel and Chromed Zamick bellow them.

Of course you have the option to just wait for the others to come back in stock. But my experience has taught me, PAA takes up to 3-months to get new stock in, so if it were me, I wouldn't wait, I'd buy now while I have the chance.

FYI, PAA has a 4-day handling time till they ship orders, they do this because they bulk ship, which is not uncommon among small business.

How much would you be asking for it? I'm interested.
As per forum rules this has to go through BST forum. The posting will be this weekend since the razor is in a different location for photos and time stamping. But rest assured that I will contact you when the post is live.

Just Open Combs, and if you like longer handles, you can't go wrong with a Gillette Big Fellow either in an Old Type or New Improved. Other choices: any New Improved style of razor, Old Type, Short Comb NEW and with a safety bar I have a '46 Aristocrat that always gives great auto-pilot shaves without irritation. The other options are to go Single Edge GEM 1912 or GEM Micromatic. of course you could always come down the SR rabbit hole, there's plenty of room for everyone....

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
It seems you favor razors on the less aggressive side. The Feather ASD2 comes to mind. They’re going for $169.00 on the web.

Top Bottom