What's new

What to try next?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've wet shaved for about 5 years but only really got deep into gear in the past 2 years. I've tried a few razors and have found a couple that I think are about as good as it gets for me. Based on these two razors, what should I try next? Thanks for any input.

Best Razors:
Timeless .68 OC
Karve B OC

Good Razors:
Razorock .68 Jaws
Black Beauty Long Handle

Didn't Work For Me:
Pretty much any solid bar. I shave daily but the OC's seem to keep things slicked up during the process
Wolfman WR1 .68 SB
Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB
Karve C SB
Timeless .95 SB
Fatboy
Timeless Bronze
I agree with @Joezamboni : if you like open comb and want to use a Vintage Gillette, their NEW England Raised Bottom is among those you should consider. They show up without cases if you looking for something less expensive: and with nice cases, if that is important to you. You can always buy one and get it replated by Chris Spencer @Back Roads Gold. I had him replate three of my Vintage Gillette razors, though I sort of changed directions and sold them. The only caution with the NEW England Raised Bottoms is... they come in two and three piece. If you like to experiment with different handles, you would need the three piece razor.

If you didn't just love open comb razors, I'd recommend the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 base. Also, looking at the razors that didn't work well for you, you might hate it. The only reason I'm mentioning it is.. it's around $100 with shipping and easily made it onto my top 6 list, holding its own against its more expensive brethren. ;)

Why not try a Rockwell 6C or 6S, 6 levels of agression available. I use the 4plate first in a ATG first pass and then flip the plate to the 2 plate, second pass full ATG then being VERY mild, with almost BBS result.

What is special about the Rockwell is it holds lots of water in the head thus giving super lubrification while shaving, way more than for example the Mellon SLOC heads, i used a Voskhod blade in it today and its ridiculously mild yet still shaving on plate 2, great for ATG shaving with zero irritation for me.

Last edited:
As per forum rules this has to go through BST forum. The posting will be this weekend since the razor is in a different location for photos and time stamping. But rest assured that I will contact you when the post is live.

Too complicated for me, my man. Regardless, the $50 version on the website came back in-stock and I ordered.

I agree with @Joezamboni : if you like open comb and want to use a Vintage Gillette, their NEW England Raised Bottom is among those you should consider. They show up without cases if you looking for something less expensive: and with nice cases, if that is important to you. You can always buy one and get it replated by Chris Spencer @Back Roads Gold. I had him replate three of my Vintage Gillette razors, though I sort of changed directions and sold them. The only caution with the NEW England Raised Bottoms is... they come in two and three piece. If you like to experiment with different handles, you would need the three piece razor.

If you didn't just love open comb razors, I'd recommend the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 base. Also, looking at the razors that didn't work well for you, you might hate it. The only reason I'm mentioning it is.. it's around $100 with shipping and easily made it onto my top 6 list, holding its own against its more expensive brethren. ;)

I'm going to check it out, the name alone makes me interested.

Why not try a Rockwell 6C or 6S, 6 levels of agression available. I use the 4plate first in a ATG first pass and then flip the plate to the 2 plate, second pass full ATG then being VERY mild, with almost BBS result.

What is special about the Rockwell is it holds lots of water in the head thus giving super lubrification while shaving, way more than for example the Mellon SLOC heads, i used a Voskhod blade in it today and its ridiculously mild yet still shaving on plate 2, great for ATG shaving with zero irritation for me.

Sorry, failed to mention I used the Rockwell 6C for a few years until I finally went all-in on wet shaving.

In regard to other comments, I have tried a few Vintage Gillettes. I have a short black beauty and a banged up red-tip I use occasionally. My interest level on vintage stuff has wained for the time being.

I've purchased a few Wolfman razors and was reluctant to continue doing so because of the money lost to try a variation out. I bought a sentinel in a gap I had not previously tried and if it works out, I'm going to order from Wolfman.

The Phoenix DOC select twist didn't work out. Nice razor but far too mild. If there was a more aggressive version it might be a winner.

I received the Sentinel 1.35 head and after 1 shave, really like it. I will continue to use. If it works out I will order a 1.35 WR2 from Wolfman.

There is a Tatara Masamune with Nodachi cap that has been sitting out on FB marketplace for awhile. Thought about trying it out but haven't seen a lot of feedback for for that Tatara combination.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The Phoenix DOC select twist didn't work out. Nice razor but far too mild.

Interesting. You didn't mention that you had loosened the handle by 1/8 to 1/2 turn out, to increase aggression. If you used a twist adjustable with the handle tightened all the way down, then yes, its going to be very mild indeed.

For the record, I have the PAA Copper Ascension, if I loosen the handle 1/2 turn out from snug tight, it can take down my 7-day of course whisker growth, just saying. I realize everybody is different, but I say again, course whiskers, they require more work to take down then somebody with fine whiskers.

Good luck!

Top Bottom