What's new

What to mix with powder to make a good paste?

I received some paste, and powdered Cr2O, and Fe2O3 recently.

The pasted Cr2O is 0.5 micron, the powdered is 0.3 micron, and I want to make some good long lasting paste with the smaller 0.3 Cr2O to apply to a cotton strop.

I have plenty of mineral oil, I use for my cutting boards, but wasn’t sure if it was the best thing to use.

As always, help, and suggestions are always appreciated.

I'm not a paste guy but I would think some paste wax would be a suitable carrier for the powder.
Think hard furniture paste wax not liquid.
Many are wax based.

Mineral oil will work, so will Ballistol. Application is a bit difficult because of the thick consistency. Also, everything it touches will turn green...

There are some YouTube videos where they use beef fat or beeswax and create CrOx crayons. Messier to make but definitely easier to apply.

I'm not a paste guy but I would think some paste wax would be a suitable carrier for the powder.
Think hard furniture paste wax not liquid.
Many are wax based.
As you user name implies. I gather you go straight to leather from the stones? And don't try to milk the edge somewhat longer with additives? Do you use any flax or cotton?

Mineral oil will work, so will Ballistol. Application is a bit difficult because of the thick consistency. Also, everything it touches will turn green...

There are some YouTube videos where they use beef fat or beeswax and create CrOx crayons. Messier to make but definitely easier to apply.
Thanks, yes easier to apply, and spread out more consistently would be ideal.
The paste I have wants to glob up in the initial application spots. While it works, it looks sloppy.

I use mineral oil.
Old Faithful, I have it in abundance, and it's easy.

I do have a product called Board Butter. It's a combination of beeswax, and mineral oil. More of a paste wax consistency, but a little smelly, and not quite as firm as I'd like.

Thanks for the feedback!
Experimentation in progress.

You may dilute it with rubbing alcohol prior to the application. The alcohol will evaporate quickly and it will be easier to apply without globing up

Top Bottom