What's new

What to look for in buying a Gillette Tech on ebay

Looking to buy a Gillette tech on Ebay and I have 2 Gillette tech clones from Global shave The Sumatra and Black tiger but want to purchase the real thing.So I want to know what to purchase and what not to purchase.Thanks!

There are lots in very good condition and they're fairly inexpensive so I'd look for one in good shape. My preference is for the fat-handled pre-war version. You can tell pre-war Techs by the triangle shaped slots in the baseplate. The pre-war version is slightly more efficient than the post-war versions.

Good luck in your hunt.

Don’t overthink this. A basic, nickel-plated brass post-WW2 Tech in good shape, including cosmetically, will cost <$25 and will be just fine. The harder-to-find versions are more expensive, and you may or may not prefer one of them. But the differences are quite small.

I picked up my second postwar fat-handled Tech, a champagne gold model, on eBay from a good seller. He eve threw in a packet of Shark blades. Let me see if I can find his screen name.

ETA: He's tobins_throwbacks on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/usr/tobins_throwbacks. The Tech cost me $17 plus shipping in 2020.

I also bought a mint Travel Tech set, mostly because the head was in top-notch condition, from pawnthis on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/usr/pawnthis. That was only $8.50 plus shipping. If you find a Tech with a scarred head but a good handle, and another with the reverse, you can swap them and have a extremely fine shaver.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Best option is to buy right here from B&B Gentlemen in Buy-Sell-Trade room.

If ebay is the option you want to pursue, pay very close attention to the pics and the description. If the pics are not clear, ask for better pics. There are sellers who take the time to clean the razors before listing. Makes it easier to see the actual condition.

Removing the hard to find English Tech/NEW Hybrid and German #34 Techs from the conversation, my preference is for the Pre-war and Post-war Fat Handle, English Flat Bottom and English mid-1950s 'heavy' (63g) Techs.

Hope this helps. :)

Look at the pictures carefully, and ask for more from the seller if anything is obscured. If they refuse, you can too. I recently acted too quickly on a Star razor under $2.00 towards the end of an auction. I failed to notice that the safety bar on the baseplate had been removed. Pictures had a blade in the head, and I stupidly did not realize until it was delivered. Only out a few bucks, but disappointing.

I've bought numerous techs on ebay. I've not gotten a single one I wasn't pleased with and that wasn't perfectly functional. A couple i bought for 10 bucks or less including shipping. Some had more plate loss than others but I actually prefer the well used look of a tech with some plate loss. Most are solid brass so there's no corrosion worries with plate loss.

A couple of the ones I bought looked pretty terrible in the pics but cleaned up nicely. I prefer the ball end tech but some like the fat handle. I do prefer the solid brass techs as opposed to a few that are zamak or aluminum for the greater weight and far superior durability. Most that are pre 1960 are solid brass. Techs with an etched cap are generally brass.

The tech is a truly great razor.

First off is pictures, lots of clear pictures of the razor. Second, a reputable seller, if they don't have good reviews, pass. Lastly, the style is kind of up to you, but most gravitate towards the triangle slot "Pre-war" techs. They tend to give slightly better results. Should run $50-$30 in good condition. The fat handle with the oval slots is a good back-up. I also like the English ball handle techs with the non-aluminum handle, also around the $50-$30 range.

None of the above razors are really rare, so they should come up pretty frequently. Good luck!

Best option is to buy right here from B&B Gentlemen in Buy-Sell-Trade room.

If ebay is the option you want to pursue, pay very close attention to the pics and the description. If the pics are not clear, ask for better pics. There are sellers who take the time to clean the razors before listing. Makes it easier to see the actual condition.

Removing the hard to find English Tech/NEW Hybrid and German #34 Techs from the conversation, my preference is for the Pre-war and Post-war Fat Handle, English Flat Bottom and English mid-1950s 'heavy' (63g) Techs.

Hope this helps. :)

+1! Great advice! BST is the best place to find a gentleman’s Tech! :clap: :clap:

R

romsitsa

This is the "original", pre-war Tech. The foam slots are tiangle shaped, compared to post war ones, where the slots are straight.
The handle is hollow, so it' a bit head heavy.

This is the most common US made Tech, post war, all brass.

This is the British Tech, called flat bottom, somewhat heavier than its US cousin (the base plate is much thicker):

This is closest to the Sumatra, a British Tech from the 60ies-70ies. These come in all brass, and part aluminum/zamak verisons.

And there is an almost infinite variation of cap/comb/handle material, nickel/gold plating and cases.

This is the "original", pre-war Tech. The foam slots are tiangle shaped, compared to post war ones, where the slots are straight.
The handle is hollow, so it' a bit head heavy.

This is the most common US made Tech, post war, all brass.

This is the British Tech, called flat bottom, somewhat heavier than its US cousin (the base plate is much thicker):

This is closest to the Sumatra, a British Tech from the 60ies-70ies. These come in all brass, and part aluminum/zamak verisons.

And there is an almost infinite variation of cap/comb/handle material, nickel/gold plating and cases.

Thanks for this,They are all stunning to my eye.

They're all great shavers. Anything cheap and shiny that's NOT a Zamak head is my recommendation.
Gillette stamped on the head is a dead giveaway for Zamak, but Gillette logo in a satin plate finish is ok.
I've got a handful of them, most expensive was $25 from an antique store. It's the bakelite handle with box in very nice, newish condition. Most i paid $10-15 for.

Get one of the older models in solid brass. That can be a pre-war or early post-war model based on your preference (my favorite is the fat handle with triangular slots). Look for plating in good shape, but plating does not need to be perfect since it is all-brass.

And if you happen to buy a gold plated Tech, never use any kind of metal polish or cloth with chemicals to shine it up, because it will remove the thin plating in the blink of an eye.

Clean it with some mild dish detergent and a soft non metallic brush.

Top Bottom