What's new

What To Get Next...

Hi all,

Fairly new to the world of DE shaving but have been using a DE for just short of a month now.

I’m currently using a Timor Closed Comb safety razor, which is apparently made in Germany. However, a few suggestions on this site state that perhaps it’s actually made in China? Who knows. Either way it has put the idea in my head that I NEED a new razor.

I’ve been getting varying results with the Timor. Most of it is down to technique I imagine. However, part of me wonders if a more consistent shave will be available from a better known, proven brand?

As a result, I am considering a 34C, which is supposed to be on a similar plane of aggression, or lack of, to the Timor. My issue with this is that it could be a sideways step as opposed to a forward step.

Which makes me consider a 37C. I like the idea of trying a slant. It might not be for me but equally, I think I’d want to have a reputable “normal” DE that I can get my technique nailed with before trying a slant.

So I have also considered a lesser known “Braveheart” razor. Supplied by Executive Shaving in the UK. Apparently it is more aggressive than the 34C but also smoother, “doing in 2 passes what other razors do in 3.”

So any suggestions would be warmly accepted! Help me spend my money!

Thanks,

Mike

Some I’d consider:

Fatip Open Comb Slant (no really, it is wonderfully smooth)
Schone from Amazon (made by Fatip, beautiful nickel and handle)
Pre-war Gillette Tech (look for triangle shaped slots in the base)
Any year Gillette Super Speed

Reason for the Pre-war Tech is to me they are slightly more efficient. Volumes have been written on Tech varieties and it is a YMMV thing for sure but of the multiple Techs I own, the 2 Pre-war models perform better.

The 2nd DE razor I ever purchased was the 39c (same as 37c just a longer handle). Buy it. You will not be disappointed. It is wonderfully smooth and quite efficient. Not the most efficient DE but a great razor all around. I will always have one in my rotation.

I would suggest you persevere with the Timor razor as it should be giving you a great shave with good technique. Perhaps consider some different blades which would help; a blade sampler will be very useful. A different razor will not fix poor technique.
If you really want another razor why not consider the all brass Fatip open comb {Piccolo or Grande} or the Merkur 37C if you want a slant bar.

Second vote for Gillette New Long Comb. I picked this one up made in 1930 for $40 plus shipping off of eBay.

AD8B70DE-AC8B-43E7-81D2-CC88A2521FD1.jpeg

Hands down, the best value in modern razors is the RazoRock Game Changer IMHO. For a milder version start with the .68 blade gap Safety Bar version. You can also get open comb base plates in this blade gap in two variations. Using the same handle and top cap you have purchased you can then add the .84 base plates in all three variations (SB, OC and JAWS). All high quality stainless steel impeccably machined. Italian Barber hit it out of the park with this razor. I have a few razors that are much pricier and this one compares very favorably to them in all aspects.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Fairly new to the world of DE shaving but have been using a DE for just short of a month now.

I’m currently using a Timor Closed Comb safety razor, which is apparently made in Germany. However, a few suggestions on this site state that perhaps it’s actually made in China? Who knows. Either way it has put the idea in my head that I NEED a new razor.

I’ve been getting varying results with the Timor. Most of it is down to technique I imagine. However, part of me wonders if a more consistent shave will be available from a better known, proven brand?

As a result, I am considering a 34C, which is supposed to be on a similar plane of aggression, or lack of, to the Timor. My issue with this is that it could be a sideways step as opposed to a forward step.

Which makes me consider a 37C. I like the idea of trying a slant. It might not be for me but equally, I think I’d want to have a reputable “normal” DE that I can get my technique nailed with before trying a slant.

So I have also considered a lesser known “Braveheart” razor. Supplied by Executive Shaving in the UK. Apparently it is more aggressive than the 34C but also smoother, “doing in 2 passes what other razors do in 3.”

So any suggestions would be warmly accepted! Help me spend my money!

Thanks,

Mike

I agree with @Invicta. I would suggest that you first get your technique sorted and then look for other razors.

My 34c is a wonderful little razor- mild and "mindless" for me to use. A lot of folks will speak well of a Rockwell 6c or 6s.....only difference is chrome vs. stainless and price. Otherwise the same razor.

Lastly, many here will also recommend a vintage Gillette tech, I have one from 1969 bought in great condition off ebay for maybe $20, and those also provide easy shaves I think are comparable to the 34c in terms of aggression, plus come with the "fun" of using something vintage that has a story.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I’m definitely leaning towards the 34C. As a well known razor, at least then I can get my benchmark, get my technique down and go from there!

If you have only been DE shaving for a month, I would stick with the Timor for a while longer. You could buy the "best" DE razor in the world right now (quotation marks because it simply does not exist) and still get varied shave results. Your technique is what counts. You don't have enough experience to know what you like and dislike or what the difference between aggression and efficiency. I am not trying to put you down, but I'm just stating that you are so new, it is not the razor that is causing issues, it's your lack of experience.

you should get them all. seriously, there are a lot of great razors out there. If you are on a budget, I recommend the Yaqi Tech. Very cheap and efficient. If not, I recommend the Timeless .68. Not cheap and very efficient. Then there's the vintage world, where you can spend a lot or a little and get a winner or a turkey.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I often read posts that suggest that use of a more aggressive razor is a 'step up', or a 'step forward', to 'more advanced shaving', only to be attempted when you have 'nailed your technique'. In my opinion, not only is that wrong but it is totally wrong. I think that use of a mild or medium aggression razor with a sharp blade helps to develop and hone technique such that a more aggressive razor may never be required. That is not to say that there is anything wrong with aggressive razors and many people love them, I have some myself for variety, but there is no reason that you must take that route or consider it an essential part of your progression. You may of course have an abnormally tough beard, and very sensitive skin, like seemingly 90% of B&B members 🤣 Good luck with whatever you decide.

I started with what many would consider a medium aggressive razor the Gillette Red Tip. I also began with Feather blades pretty quickly. It made for some at times bloody shaves. But it also helped train me to use no pressure and to maintain proper razor angle. So I am of the opinion that a more aggressive razor is one way to learn proper technique pretty quickly.
I now use anything from a Devette to a Tech and enjoy great shaves with them all. I especially enjoy older razors that require very precise angle control to get a good shave.
So, go ahead and buy a more aggressive razor and get the sharpest blade you can find. then stick with that combo until your getting the quality of shave you desire.
Early practice and technique development will serve you well in the years to come as you learn more and branch out.

Top Bottom