What's new

What to Expect When You’re Expecting? RazoRock Hawk V2 Edition

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’ve read about folks being able to do one-pass ATG shaves with SE razors outfitted with AC-style blades and not be walking billboards for irritation.

Can that be done with a RazoRock Hawk V2?

Many thanks, fellow perpetrators of perpendicular follicular homicide!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I’ve read about folks being able to do one-pass ATG shaves with SE razors outfitted with AC-style blades and not be walking billboards for irritation.

Can that be done with a RazoRock Hawk V2?

Many thanks, fellow perpetrators of perpendicular follicular homicide!
Hi Thom -- I've heard very good things about the V2 Hawk. I'm not an AC guy, but I did a little searching around the forum (and you probably did too), and it's hard for me to get a read on the irritation question. IME it (irritation) is almost always a technique thing (pressure, angle and direction of beard growth); but I thought I'd call on a friend (@never-stop-learning) to see if he could add more given that he has one. Here's his thread on it: RazoRock Black Hawk - V2. And I'm sure he'll be swinging by here before long.

thombrogan

Thank you, Flintstone65! I'll check that one out again.

Also read in rabidus' ATT SE1 journal that the RR Eco with two halves crammed in the half blade port might work better. But quite a scary idea

@never-stop-learning steered me towards a FaTip Grande in the DE realm, so I'm psyched.

@Flintstone65,

Do you have any other SE recommendations and can any be found without attending estate sales of recently deceased baby-faced nonogenarians?

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

Also read in rabidus' ATT SE1 journal that the RR Eco with two halves crammed in the half blade port might work better. But quite a scary idea

@never-stop-learning steered me towards a FaTip Grande in the DE realm, so I'm psyched.

@Flintstone65,

Do you have any other SE recommendations and can any be found without attending estate sales of recently deceased baby-faced nonogenarians?
I really like the TNNSER-3D; and it's free -- if you have access to a 3D printer -- but if you have access to a 3D printing company/service, printing costs are fairly reasonable. Here's a link on the razor itself (TNNSER 3D), but without access to 3D capabilities, it's probably not a viable option....great SE (GEM style blade, not AC) razor. Other than that, I'm more of a vintage than modern guy, especially when it comes to SE's.

I understand folks reluctance to pick-up a used razor, I was totally there when I first began my journey; but if you do become interested in that path, I've got LOTS of suggestions....and I promise you won't have to hit up the estate sales (but you will have to buy online [BST, ebay, etsy, etc] or at an Antique mall/store). Of the several option for getting vintage, I really recommend the BST. We tend to be an honest and cleanly bunch, and we tend to have "tested" the equipment so you don't end up with something that's problematic.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi Thom -- I've heard very good things about the V2 Hawk. I'm not an AC guy, but I did a little searching around the forum (and you probably did too), and it's hard for me to get a read on the irritation question. IME it (irritation) is almost always a technique thing (pressure, angle and direction of beard growth); but I thought I'd call on a friend (@never-stop-learning) to see if he could add more given that he has one. Here's his thread on it: RazoRock Black Hawk - V2. And I'm sure he'll be swinging by here before long.

Thank you, Fred. Be happy to chime in. :)

@Flintstone65,

@thombrogan - Glad that you are joining the ranks of FaTip owners. :)

Regarding the RR Hawk V2: of the SE AC blade razors I own (RR Hawk V2, ATT SE1, Occam's Razor), the Hawk V2 is my favorite and is capable of providing excellent DFS/BBS shaves consistently.

Couple of tips:
1. NO PRESSURE.
2. Watch your angle. Start shallow and gain experience.
3. Be really careful in tight areas. This is a wide razor.

The Hawk V2 is certainly a bargain for the money.

Where do AC razors, in general, stand in my personal rankings?
1. GEM. The Blackland Sabre and GEM Featherweight Plus in particular.
2. Injector. The Schick Injectors are wonderful.
3. AC. Just not as maneuverable as the GEM and Injector razors.

All three types are capable of excellent results. You have to answer the question of which type feels best to you. :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

AC comes from the name "Artist Club" which is a type of blade. The GEM and the Schick Injectors are not AC razors.
I believe, as do many others, that AC type blades are the sharpest blades on earth. They are 2 inches long. Not the shorter ones.
I own the Hawk V2 and it's a nice razor for the money.

Hawk_LaToja.JPG

thombrogan

Thanks @never-stop-learning and @shave/brush!

I think I'm getting a FaTip Grande. My bride ordered one. Will find out on Valentine's Day.

For the others, the AC is the wide, thick blade, the GEM is a single edge razor blade with extra metal wrapped around where a second edge could be, and the Injector looks like a thinner, smaller AC blade even though it came first?

Cannot wait for the Hawk to show up. My hopes for a one-pass ATG BBS shave seem unreasonable now, but I have big dreams

Thanks @never-stop-learning and @shave/brush!

I think I'm getting a FaTip Grande. My bride ordered one. Will find out on Valentine's Day.

For the others, the AC is the wide, thick blade, the GEM is a single edge razor blade with extra metal wrapped around where a second edge could be, and the Injector looks like a thinner, smaller AC blade even though it came first?

The AC blade is like the Schick Injector just longer. It doesn't matter which one came first.
You should be very happy with the Fatip Grande it's a fine razor.

Fatip_Grande.JPG

thombrogan

Looking forward to trying both. The Black Hawk looks like it magically grants close shaves in YouTube videos and the FaTip looks like its baseplate was designed by boa constrictor that despises whiskers.

thombrogan

Unusually slow shipping on the RazoRock Hawk. Something with Canadian Post near Newfoundland if I read right. Still waiting

FaTip Grande, though, arrived and it’s amazing

The suspense is excruciating 🙂

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The Fatip razors are magical, and very capable of one-pass ATG shaves. I have just started shaving ATG on my 1st pass after reading about Steep Angle Shaving with almost irritation free results. (SASA)
Figure.6..png

I also just ordered an ATT SE1 and am looking forward to trying it out!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Unusually slow shipping on the RazoRock Hawk. Something with Canadian Post near Newfoundland if I read right. Still waiting
My last delivery of Razorock products took almost 3 weeks, even though I paid extra for expedited shipping. Have patience. They blamed the Canadian Post...........

thombrogan

My first two FaTip Grande shaves were ATG and clean up. Couldn't get my jawline and neck clean enough and used too much pressure. Will try better lather and maybe better technique tonight. Learned a worrying way of WTG shaving that should be tops for ATG if I don't get impatient.

Whether the shipping is the fault of the post office (like the tracking page suggests) or otherwise, I'm looking forward to this Hawk thingy. Might even try getting some Schick Pro-Line P-30 blades so as to be even more emotionally invested.

My last delivery of Razorock products took almost 3 weeks, even though I paid extra for expedited shipping. Have patience. They blamed the Canadian Post...........
I thought for US orders IB dropped the packages off direct at Niagra Falls, NY on the US side of the border? Thats how my last order came to me. Canadian Post never even touched the package...

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My first two FaTip Grande shaves were ATG and clean up. Couldn't get my jawline and neck clean enough and used too much pressure. Will try better lather and maybe better technique tonight.
I got my Fatip Piccolo SE last April, but never tried an ATG 1st pass until recently. I have had trouble with my jawline and neck also, but the ATG 1st pass has helped a lot. I have also started shaving along my jawline and chin from the back of my jaw to my chin with very good results. I use very little pressure with my Piccolo as it doesn't need much. What lather and blades are you using?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I thought for US orders IB dropped the packages off direct at Niagra Falls, NY on the US side of the border? Thats how my last order came to me. Canadian Post never even touched the package...
I usually get my orders from IB in around 10 days, but my last order was during their move and it took over 10 days before it even made it to the US side of the border. When I contacted them I was told Canadian Post was to blame.........

thombrogan

What lather and blades are you using?

Feather blade and St James of London lather. Probably using Neutrogena Sensitive Skin tonight so I won't make the mix too dry or too watery. Also will adjust pressure downward now that I think I have a better feel.

thombrogan

It got here! Yay!

With the Kai Pinks, I'm expecting it will feel like I wished the Bic single blade sensitive skin disposable would've felt. And then into the Rabbit Hole from there

FaTip Grande and bourbon-scented lather tonight; Hawk and pomegranate/grapefruit for Prince Spaghetti Day

thombrogan

So shaves 3 & 4 of the FaTip Grande were my best WTG-only and ATG-only shaves ever. Only felt alum where the hair makes weird pattern around Adam's apple on WTG-only and felt less alum than normal with ATG-only.

With potential for getting best results from a double-edged razor with repeated use, I loaded a Kai Captain Pink Mild into the RazoRock Black Hawk V2 and applied a too-watery lather to my face.

Zoo Wi Mama!

It was like my first shave with the Mühle 2013-R41: terrifying and with a least-protective lather. Also less irritating even though my chin was a blade stop.

Onward to using seven less drops of water in the lather tonight!

I'm hooked

Top Bottom