What's new

What to expect going from Simpsons Super --> Simpsons Manchurian?

Over the weekend I decided to order a Simpsons Eagle G3 because I've been waiting for a LE one for a while in a softer hair. In fact I was waiting for one in Super. If the handle was available in a black handle then even better, that's basically my dream brush.

So of course this brush appears and I decide to go with the Manchurian knot because while I know it's a marketing term, Manchurian does seem to be a little unique and offer a combination of stiffness/softness that other 2-band knots do not... at least according to the reviews I've seen.

So anyway, having a bit of buyers remorse and wondering if I should have gone with the Super as originally intended.

Wondering what others who have tried both Super and Manchurian think? Is the difference in price worth it?

proxy.php

Last edited:
For me, Simpsons Super and Manchurian are polar opposites at a high performance level. Both retain warmth and moisture as a badger brush should. BUT—
- Super is about soft tips and cloud-like feeling on the skin but effective at making and applying lather.
- Manchurian is much stiffer and springier so I can feel the individual hairs, which are visibly thicker at the base than Super hairs. Lathering may be a bit quicker than with a Super or a Best, but not quicker enough to make me switch.

I prefer Manchurian these days. Some find them (and the similar 2-band silver tips) too scritchy, but I enjoy the feeling. It really is a matter of personal preference. As to performance, you may want to adjust your lathering and application techniques with a Manchurian, but that should happen on its own with a little experimentation and patience.

Enjoy your new brush!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Simpson Super and Manchurian are completely different in my experience, Manchurian is absolutely not simply a more superior version of Super. Super is thinner hair with very soft tips and is usually quite densely packed to make up for the lack of backbone. To some it is luxurious but for me it is too soft, boring, and lacking in any face feel or presence; I do not care for it at all and have sold my Super brushes. Manchurian is very different, the hairs are much thicker with a springy backbone and scrub, and sometimes a bit of prickle. For me Manchurian is worth every penny, followed by Best, then Pure, with Super in a distant last place. There have been some reports of recent Super brushes having gel like qualities which, for me at least, is enough for a brush to be immediately rejected. It is all a matter of personal preference though. If you are not happy with your new brush then it will move quickly on the BST. Good luck 👍

Simpson Super and Manchurian are completely different in my experience, Manchurian is absolutely not simply a more superior version of Super. Super is thinner hair with very soft tips and is usually quite densely packed to make up for the lack of backbone. To some it is luxurious but for me it is too soft, boring, and lacking in any face feel or presence; I do not care for it at all and have sold my Super brushes. Manchurian is very different, the hairs are much thicker with a springy backbone and scrub, and sometimes a bit of prickle. For me Manchurian is worth every penny, followed by Best, then Pure, with Super in a distant last place. There have been some reports of recent Super brushes having gel like qualities which, for me at least, is enough for a brush to be immediately rejected. It is all a matter of personal preference though. If you are not happy with your new brush then it will move quickly on the BST. Good luck 👍

Great description! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have both hairs and prefer the Manchurian over the Super (3-Band).
For me the three band Super I have (Tulip 3, and I got also a Manchurian in the same brush style/size) is quite scritchy when used - in the wet state - it feels fine dry - (very similar experience I had once with Rooney Finest). The Manchurian hair is much thicker in the hair stem thus giving it a strong back bone, but it is not scritchy. It is denser packed than the T3 Super I have. I used to own a CH2 with Three band Super, this was very soft hair, and extremely dense packed.
However, the old two-band super was a great hair, I have a vintage Polo 8 in it.

I have both hairs and prefer the Manchurian over the Super (3-Band).
For me the three band Super I have (Tulip 3, and I got also a Manchurian in the same brush style/size) is quite scritchy when used - in the wet state - it feels fine dry - (very similar experience I had once with Rooney Finest). The Manchurian hair is much thicker in the hair stem thus giving it a strong back bone, but it is not scritchy. It is denser packed than the T3 Super I have. I used to own a CH2 with Three band Super, this was very soft hair, and extremely dense packed.
However, the old two-band super was a great hair, I have a vintage Polo 8 in it.

Rudy, Have you tried the current Simpsons two-band slivertip? If so, How does it fit into this picture?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Rudy, Have you tried the current Simpsons two-band slivertip? If so, How does it fit into this picture?
I have only a Simfix 2-b silvertip brush, no Simpson, but I think the hair might be the same - yes, I do like it as well.
It is similar to my favorite hair, the Shavemac two-band silvertip, and the Manchurian is close to the Shavemac D01 two-band, maybe not quite as dense and stiff.

Over the weekend I decided to order a Simpsons Eagle G3 because I've been waiting for a LE one for a while in a softer hair. In fact I was waiting for one in Super. If the handle was available in a black handle then even better, that's basically my dream brush.

So of course this brush appears and I decide to go with the Manchurian knot because while I know it's a marketing term, Manchurian does seem to be a little unique and offer a combination of stiffness/softness that other 2-band knots do not... at least according to the reviews I've seen.

So anyway, having a bit of buyers remorse and wondering if I should have gone with the Super as originally intended.

Wondering what others who have tried both Super and Manchurian think? Is the difference in price worth it?

proxy.php
Sir you’ve got yourself a beautiful and great brush. Congratulations! As others described, it couldn’t be more different than Super Badger (which by the way is my favorite grade), but still I’m sure the Eagle will bring plenty of joy to your shaves. Just make sure you give it some time to break in.
I have a Chubby 2 Manchurian that took over 30-40 uses to soften up.

This is useful. Sounds as if I’d want Manchurian myself. Much as I respect Simpson, I haven’t bought one for years now - mine are all Somerset era. I’ve been exploring craft made brushes from other makers. Very few (but some) live up to the hype/price IMO.

I hope that you enjoy the Manchurian. Sounds as if it will be good.

I’ve tried to like the Simpsons Super 3-band but it’s really too soft for me. Their best hair is marginally better. I really like their 2-band knots, at least in the smaller brushes I have: Classic 1 and Persian Jar 1. Two of my very favorite brushes!

For me, Simpsons Super and Manchurian are polar opposites at a high performance level. Both retain warmth and moisture as a badger brush should. BUT—
- Super is about soft tips and cloud-like feeling on the skin but effective at making and applying lather.
- Manchurian is much stiffer and springier so I can feel the individual hairs, which are visibly thicker at the base than Super hairs. Lathering may be a bit quicker than with a Super or a Best, but not quicker enough to make me switch.

I prefer Manchurian these days. Some find them (and the similar 2-band silver tips) too scritchy, but I enjoy the feeling. It really is a matter of personal preference. As to performance, you may want to adjust your lathering and application techniques with a Manchurian, but that should happen on its own with a little experimentation and patience.

Enjoy your new brush!

These two posts echo my thoughts, the only way my opinion differs, is I prefer the 3 band Super. Different strokes for different folks!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have some terrific Simpson's Manchurians and a couple that I'm ambivalent about. I find Super to be the most consistent grade of Simpson's hair. At its best in a dense knot like a Chubby, Eagle, or Tulip.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
As do I. And also now somewhat regretting not jumping on that ebony Eagle in super.
I dodged those shiny black bullets myself. They're all gone now. My oh my they were lovely weren't they? If I hadn't bought two Beagles I would certainly have fallen for those ebony Eagles. I already have 2 G3s in Super and they are very nice brushes indeed.

Top Bottom