What's new

What to do with this razor rust (w/pics)

Ok, I got this straight long ago (a few years) for xmas. I don't think it was ever shave ready, and of course I stopped shaving with it shortly thereafter, thinking I needed a strop then never getting one. I've gotten into DE shaving now and have read a lot on both subjects... Now I want to get the razor honed and use it again! I pull it out of its box and it's rusty!

I would like to polish it and then send it off to be honed.

I've tried a few polishes with little success. I cannot seem to find MAAS at Wal-Mart or my local grocery store in Tulsa.

1) Is this beyond hand polishing?

2) Should I get my dremel out and go to town (after reading several threads on the subject of course...)? or should I send it to a pro to have the work done?

3)If sending off is the best way, how much should I expect to pay?

BTW it's Colonel Klink-- I mean Conk (so I guess it's a Dovo?)

Thanks so much everybody,

The only thing that really concerns me is that rust on the edge. You are going to have to remove that before this razor will ever be usable. Try taking that to a 1000 grit hone and see if it comes off. Metal polish will not remove much rust.

As for the rest of the rust, it is not that bad and some spot hand sanding would probably be the best way to go. Dremel would be really risky, especially with that etching. Other than that you may try the felt pads with a bit of polishing compound with the Dremel... Just be careful.

And when you are done, make sure and put some mineral oil on it to stop this from happening again.

You have two options. Either shorten the width of the entire razor, or lop off the toe. Both are unappealing and I do not envy your decision. Its not worth sending it to a pro. However, if you want to reuse the scales, sending to a pro would be a good idea.

Its not worth sending it off because both options to save the razor are unappealing, and the thing costs $80 new. To me anyway. The scales are nice though.

hit it with Flitz or place it in a tumbler and see what you get . That damn cancer would have to go straight to the edge of course ...... Good luck with it .

cityjim

You have two options. Either shorten the width of the entire razor, or lop off the toe. Both are unappealing and I do not envy your decision. Its not worth sending it to a pro. However, if you want to reuse the scales, sending to a pro would be a good idea.

Its not worth sending it off because both options to save the razor are unappealing, and the thing costs $80 new. To me anyway. The scales are nice though.

IDK. That definitely looks like rust, but in my limited experience, the black stuff is not nearly as bad as orange rust. There is a possibility that most of it might polish out, of course leaving a heck of a lot of pitting, but maybe there would still be enough structural steel left to keep the blade rigid -- maybe.

Although pitting right next to the edge, that could be bad, couldn't it? Yeah, you're right, the options aren't very appealing :frown:.

I would say you could at least try to polish it out. If the pitting isn't deeper than the tiniest scratch than maybe you will be okay, but don't expect much. :frown:

thats some nasty looking stuff right there.

as others have said. give it a good polish and a new bevel and hope the rust is worse than it looks

U

Utopian

If there is any rust near the gold leaf, then you're better off losing it. Any polishing near the gold leaf will cause its removal. You can have rust, or you can have the gold. If they overlap, you'll have to lose the gold. Even if they don't overlap, it's a heck of a lot easier to remove the rust if you don't have to be watching out for the gold.

There's no gold on this razor. it's like frosted looking markings. Unless you're talking about the "rivets" that go through the scales keeping it all together?

Last edited:
+1 Most guys are really concerned about how the appearance,but that rust on the the edge is worse.Like Sapito says,Careful dremel work will better its appearance.Take some scotch tape and cover the etching,take a exacta knife and carefully cut around outline of etching,not too much pressure as not to scratch blade.I usually take a dab of polish and mix in some Chromium Oxide and carefully polish away.It will not remove pitting caused by the rust but,takes off the rust and shines up the pitting and makes it less noticeable.Then like Mr. Sapito says,Hone away!!!! That's only my opinion.:biggrin:
The only thing that really concerns me is that rust on the edge. You are going to have to remove that before this razor will ever be usable. Try taking that to a 1000 grit hone and see if it comes off. Metal polish will not remove much rust.

As for the rest of the rust, it is not that bad and some spot hand sanding would probably be the best way to go. Dremel would be really risky, especially with that etching. Other than that you may try the felt pads with a bit of polishing compound with the Dremel... Just be careful.

And when you are done, make sure and put some mineral oil on it to stop this from happening again.

Top Bottom