What's new

What to do with C&D black cavendish

I made a mistake of a purchase and instead of Black Cherry I now have 2oz of Black Cavensidh coming to the house. My question to board members is that while smoking straight isn’t recommended, how do I deal with mixing this in with something else and what to mix with it. Ideas are helpful unless someone wants to make a trade.

Larry

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not all Cavendish is alike. Therefore recommendations are worth trying on a bowlful, but don't just mix the whole bag on a recommendation.

That said, I would lean more towards untopped blends, be they Virginia, Virginia Periques, Virginia Burley blends, or English with Latakia. I would also keep the Cavendish content below 25%, unless there was an overly potent blend I wanted to tone down.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I smoke the Captain Black Dark, which is Black Burley Cavendish, and it's just fine. Before you mix things up, try a half a bowl and see what you think.
I have a list of over 300 pipe tobaccos and what components are in them. Might give you an idea of what you can blend, though the quantities are of course always top secret.
It's attached to this post.

Attachments

• Pipe Tobacco List.zip
    50.8 KB · Views: 11
I don't mind unsweetened black cav at all. It's good stuff if not a little bland by itself. Go ahead and try it. You may enjoy it.

I’m willing to give a bowl a shot and see how I like it, after all it can’t hurt. The bonus is that I have Stokkebye luxury bulls eye ordered with it. I don’t smoke all that often so what ever I have loose in bulk packs I put in jars and make labels for the lids and cellar most of what I have.

Phil, thank you for that HUGE list, it will be quite helpful. Also I really enjoy your post with making labels and BTW I found a way so that I can get other labels as well for my own collections.

The site here has been quite helpful since I am new at this, I used to smoke cigarettes many years ago and I occasionally smoke cigars. I will have to admit I do enjoy using a pipe and it was a difficult transition to smoke slowly and actually enjoy it. My wife thinks it makes me old to use a pipe but it is quite relaxing when time allows.

Larry

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My wife thinks it makes me old to use a pipe but it is quite relaxing when time allows.
I know! I'm disgusted by the wrinkly old codgers I see puffing on a pipe these days! :lol1:

Image1.png

While polishing the stem of my Peterson 307 I decided to take out my short stop cob and give the straight cavendish a try. My honest review is that it was a very mild taste, very little residual smoking smell in the garage, and it was a very thick smoke. Not much left over taste remaining and it was a nice cool burning smoke. All in all not bad and I can honestly see where something like this can be mixed into something that give someone a bad tongue bite. I would be interested in what to mix this in to enjoy it more but it’s good on its own as a break from an aromatic tobacco as well.

Larry

Last edited:
Top Bottom