What's new

What to do with a deodorant that I don't like?

So I bought a couple of sticks of Ogallala deodorant on the back of some positive reviews and the fact that I love the Bay Rum and Sandalwood shave stick scent. The deodorants work very well in combating odor, and the scents last a long, long time.

The problem is that I just don't like the scents. The Bay Rum should be renamed as "Clove, Clove and More Clove". It is way too strong and comically masculine, and thus the strength and durability of the scent compounds the problem. The Bay Rum with Lime and Peppercorn is better and usable, but still more clove than I like and so I don't enjoy using it.

My question: What can I do with them? Again, they work EXCEPTIONALLY WELL so it is purely a matter of the scent. Is there a fix that can be applied, or is my only option to throw them away?

THANKS!

So I bought a couple of sticks of Ogallala deodorant on the back of some positive reviews and the fact that I love the Bay Rum and Sandalwood shave stick scent. The deodorants work very well in combating odor, and the scents last a long, long time.

The problem is that I just don't like the scents. The Bay Rum should be renamed as "Clove, Clove and More Clove". It is way too strong and comically masculine, and thus the strength and durability of the scent compounds the problem. The Bay Rum with Lime and Peppercorn is better and usable, but still more clove than I like and so I don't enjoy using it.

My question: What can I do with them? Again, they work EXCEPTIONALLY WELL so it is purely a matter of the scent. Is there a fix that can be applied, or is my only option to throw them away?

THANKS!
Why not give away the crap you don't want?

You could mix them with unscented deodorant. The scent gets toned down, but you could still use them. I do that with Speick deo since it is really strong.

You could mix them with unscented deodorant. The scent gets toned down, but you could still use them. I do that with Speick deo since it is really strong.
That's an idea. But I suspect I would need a similar deodorant type? I Googled and it looks like you can melt this stuff down, and I'm wondering if the oils (assuming they were scented oils) separate over high heat. I'll give it a try when I'm not feeling so lazy and report back.

Either way, I would reiterate that these are probably the best deodorants I have ever used in terms of scent duration. I'm in tropical weather, and these last after heavy sweating. I'm definitely going back and trying the Bay Rum and Sandalwood.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

THANKS!
As long as it at least smells better than the alternative (no deodorant) I would use it, but I'm cheap and never throw anything away.😁

You bought a couple not just one. It would be very bizarre to try all if they are identical.
Yes, I bought two. They're not identical. One I hate, and the other is acceptable but not really to my liking. And yet for some reason I used both. I don't know why ... I think maybe I thought it would smell differently once applied? My brain completely shut down on me. So you're being generous when you say "very bizarre". I would characterize my actions as "absolutely moronic".

In the meantime, I have purchased a Nature's Gold Bergamot Lime deodorant that smells like wiping fresh limes on my armpits. It's very nice, though I've been too preoccupied to give myself a post-use, pre-shower sniff to see how well it's lasted. Mostly been working from home, so I'm only using deodorant when I go out on the weekend.

Like I said, I'm still going to try the Bay Rum and Sandalwood on the basis of the effectiveness of the deodorant, the enduring nature of the scent, and the love I have for the Bay Rum & Sandalwood shave stick scent. I'm hoping that will The One that smells nice and last a long time, like a hybrid EDT + deodorant.

But scent is a YMMV thing. If anyone loves the scents that I mentioned not liking, please do rest assured that these deodorants work exceptionally well.

Just a follow up to close the book on this:

The strength of both Ogallala deodorant sticks has mellowed out a bit. They remain highly effective, but I no longer mind or feel self-conscious wearing them alone, even in the case of the Bay Rum one, which was bordering on pungent initially.

I did try adding a layer of the Nature's Gold Bergamot Lime deodorant on top. The strength of the Ogallala deodorants remains so much stronger, comparatively, than the relatively quick dissipating Bergamot Lime, so the Bergamot Lime scent completely disappears, but it does help lessen the Bay Rum and Bay Rum, Lime & Peppercorn scents.

So in summary:
  • Ogallala deodorants are great. Scents are obviously YMMV, and I will be taking a leap and buying two of the Bay Rum and Sandalwood sticks since the shaving stick scent is so great.
  • I really, really like the Bergamot Lime scent and will be on the lookout for a similar deodorant that's a bit more long-lasting. If I can find this and the Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood scent is good, I will be a very happy (and wonderfully smelling) man.

Top Bottom