What's new

What to do at the reloading bench in 2021

I don't need to tell anyone about the ammo crisis right now. I haven't been able to load much, but I have found some things to do! IMG_20190510_204746972.jpg
This was my bench at the beginning of my reloading career in 2019. Looking at that plain white wall was boring.

Fast forward to 2021 and my bench would make a cowboy proud.IMG_20211215_145247186.jpg
It finally feels genuine loading up my .45-70 and .45 Colt rounds on this bench.

Ive also cleaned out neglected primer pockets, trimmed brass that needs trimming, polished brass that needs polishing. That way when, and hopefully when and not if, components start to stock back up I will have the menial tasks out of the way and can spend more time at the range.

What do you do to pass the time when you can't load?

I don't need to tell anyone about the ammo crisis right now. I haven't been able to load much, but I have found some things to do!View attachment 1378750
This was my bench at the beginning of my reloading career in 2019. Looking at that plain white wall was boring.

Fast forward to 2021 and my bench would make a cowboy proud.View attachment 1378752
It finally feels genuine loading up my .45-70 and .45 Colt rounds on this bench.

Ive also cleaned out neglected primer pockets, trimmed brass that needs trimming, polished brass that needs polishing. That way when, and hopefully when and not if, components start to stock back up I will have the menial tasks out of the way and can spend more time at the range.

What do you do to pass the time when you can't load?
I reload in the cold months and have been buying reloading components for years all along so I have a healthy stock of powder, primers, bullets, brass, shotgun components too and keep buying when I can.
My ammo stocks are way up at this point. So when things seem to go back to normal, whenever that may be I'll go back to the range on more regular basis.
I also cast too especially when factory bullets are scarce like it is currently.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I'd do a bunch of case prep.

Got a set of dies to make Arisaka brass out of 30-06, I'd play with that.

And casting, of course! Could make a ton of boolits... Or quite a few pounds, anyways.

AA

🤔 I'd do a bunch of case prep.

Got a set of dies to make Arisaka brass out of 30-06, I'd play with that.

And casting, of course! Could make a ton of boolits... Or quite a few pounds, anyways.

AA

I've thought about getting into casting, as my western guns are prime candidates for lead boolits, but finding a source of metal is difficult. And if I buy the lead bars from Lee or other sources, I did the math and it's not worth my time

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've thought about getting into casting, as my western guns are prime candidates for lead boolits, but finding a source of metal is difficult. And if I buy the lead bars from Lee or other sources, I did the math and it's not worth my time
Fishermen regularly gift me lead, as well as a scrapper buddy. A dead hoarder cleanup assist also got me buckets of pure.

AA

I have reloaded about 50 rounds this year to get me through an annual LEOSA qualification. That's a pretty steep decline from the annual 10 to 12k rounds I was loading 5 to 10 years ago. Most of 2021 has had my reloading bench cluttered with junk from other hobbies.

Top Bottom