What's new

What to brew my tea in???

Hi All, i’ve recently gotten into tea and have purchased some loose leaf tea recently while in Pennsylvania (Dragon Well, Oolong and Silver Needle varieties).

I’m kind of interested in getting a teapot and would like to ask all you other tea drinkers out there what the best kind of tea pot is. I’ve seen many, and really like the “tetsubin” cast iron teapot’s. But since I am new to this, did not know if this was a good vessel for brewing my tea or not. I do realize that this is only for brewing the actual tea, not warming the water.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I am really looking to keep whatever I but below 50.00 if possible.

Those are both really nice, and if I’m not mistaken I think I saw a Bodum Tea Press at my local Target last weekend. I may have take another trip and pick one of them up. I think it was the Assam one, at least it looked very similar.

And you are correct, once I get comfortable with the brewing process then I could move up to something nicer. I just really liked the looks of the Cast Iron ones.

Thanks guys.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Those pots are specifically designed for oolongs, but they work well with dragon wells, pouchongs, or anything that has a sizeable leaf that unfurls. I wouldn't think that blacks, pi lo chuns, or other small leaves would work as well.

For oolongs, they can't be beat.

Can't go wrong with BODUM. I like this one.

I have this pot too, and while I like it, be aware that I've had two infusers break the little tabs that hold it into the pot - the first one was broken in the box (replaced), and the second was broken after some use. I like the design, I just think BODUM goofed in not making the tabs stronger or more elastic. Just FYI.

I don't think there's any reason for you not to go the way of the tetsubin if that's what you like.

There are many that are reasonably priced and work very well. There's no difficulty in using them either.

The only setback is that you cannot use the cast iron to brew more than one type of tea and get good results. specifically if you tried to brew a lighter tea like a green in a pot you use for black, the flavor will be tainted. You should have one for green/white, one for oolong, and one for black.

Some may recommend separating the green and white, and oolong can really have a great range of different liquoring so this is just rough. Three should get you going for quite some time.

I use Yixing tea pot for the tea I use the most. I use a Teavanna type bottom drainer with other types of tea I'm trying out. The Yixing pots are more restrictive to type though, the flavor sets into the pot so you really do need a different pot per style of tea.

To boil the water I have a generic stainless kettle that I just pour the required amount of water into the vessel and let it steep.

I don't think there's any reason for you not to go the way of the tetsubin if that's what you like.

There are many that are reasonably priced and work very well. There's no difficulty in using them either.

The only setback is that you cannot use the cast iron to brew more than one type of tea and get good results. specifically if you tried to brew a lighter tea like a green in a pot you use for black, the flavor will be tainted. You should have one for green/white, one for oolong, and one for black.

Some may recommend separating the green and white, and oolong can really have a great range of different liquoring so this is just rough. Three should get you going for quite some time.

I guess this is one area of confusion for me. I was under the impression that the unglazed Yixing pots were to be uses with only one kind of tea. But being new to all this, I may have misread that somewhere.

Most of the cast iron pots I’ve seen state that they have an interior ceramic coating. But like I said, I’m new to this, so I may need to do more homework.

Thanks again for all the input.

The pots that are lined with ceramic will be just fine to use different teas in. However these are designed simply for their aesthetic value.

The unlined pots will be somewhat porous and absorb the flavors of the tea. Some of the vintage ones can be and were used to boil the water in even; although these are probably better left for collecting.

Most anything you wish to use will be fine so go with your sense of aesthetic, but unlined tetsubin and Yixing teapots can enhance the flavors and experience.

Check out www.specialteas.com. They sell every type of tea pot imaginable. I like the elegance of the traditional English-style china pots. You can brew any kind of tea in them. You can also pick up a little stainless-steel mesh infuser and brew right in the cup.

Just a note Silky, the Yixing pots vary in size, but most are made for individual use.

An infuser and a mug will work just fine though if you would rather go in that direction.

Top Bottom