What's new

What tin/jar are you cracking?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Germains Medium Flake - "Pipe tobacco made with selected red and golden tobaccos."

Notes say I was PIFfed it in Oct '18, so at least three years on it. When I opened it wowser. Sweet. Grassy. Sweet. Figs/dates. One of the best tin notes I've had. Don't know how they slice flakes that thin, more like an aligned ribbon cut sticking together. Fold & stuffed a few strands into the B&B LE 21. Easy light, stayed lit. Grassy flavor, grass and sweetness on retrohale. No bite. Gotta find more, SP is out...

Germain’s seems to always be a home run. Very hard to get, sadly.

I just opened some Pegasus. I've been hearing how it's a boutique version of the old codger blends. Not hardly! Yeah, they're both burley based, but I didn't see what they were talking about. I found no similarities. Still good, but not what I was expecting.

I have a 7 oz. tub of Granger in the closet, and the tin of C & D's Alpine Lodge that was the freebie along with my Peterson Arklow 606. That I'll open tomorrow or Saturday.

Aside from tins, JC sent me a bagged ounce each of Sutliff's Black Cordial and of Lane 1-Q. I'll get to those this break, I'm sure.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Opened up a tin of C&D Bourbon Bleu from 2017. The tin had puffed up a decent bit, and the first smoke from it was excellent! Glad I stashed a few of those tins, even though I didn't care for the blend when it was fresh a whole lot. lol
I have heard from several independent sources that this does very well with some time on it!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Opened up a tin of C&D Bourbon Bleu from 2017. The tin had puffed up a decent bit, and the first smoke from it was excellent! Glad I stashed a few of those tins, even though I didn't care for the blend when it was fresh a whole lot. lol

Bourbon Bleu is one of my favorite blends. The sweet, slightly smokey, slightly spicy aroma of it makes me think of bacon.

A jar of McClelland 2015 from 2003 to pass along a sample to @SwamperWI. Hadn't tried any of it yet, but believe it or not, the slight "ketchupy" aroma is still there. Tobacco is super dark now, also. Smells absolutely fantastic...

2015 is (or was) such a great bulk blend. With that much age, I wouldn't be surprised if it darn near tastes like candy.

Do you find that the Peterson version is as good, better or worse?
I have not had the Peterson version. My understanding is that they are exactly the same, produced by the same company. Dunhill got out of the tobacco business, and Peterson basically bought the rights.

Top Bottom