What's new

What tin/jar are you cracking?

Finally cracked a tin of Dan's Blue Note I've had for three-ish years. I paired it with a small batch bourbon and "The Fabulous Sidney Bechet" on vinyl (a remastered Blue Note masterpiece). I momentarily felt like I was transported to the Savoy Ballroom circa 1945.

Cracked open a 2013 tin of Peterson's Perfect Plug (3P's) 2-3 days ago.... had it fresh, but never aged... wow, this stuff ages wonderfully! The rest of the plug is now jarred and i have another 2013 tin of this at hand.. really lucky I got granted two tins of it at Lohmar Pipe Show this year!

WIN_20180528_11_30_37_Pro.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Where the heck so you guys find Balkan Sobranie? I was just PIF’d a big baggie of it... but I’m scared to smoke it and fall it love with it :lol:.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Where the heck so you guys find Balkan Sobranie? I was just PIF’d a big baggie of it... but I’m scared to smoke it and fall it love with it :lol:.

It’s around. Less rare than Esotericas, so no worries. If you like it, you just need to watch and wait and you’ll find it and slowly add it to your cellar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It’s around. Less rare than Esotericas, so no worries. If you like it, you just need to watch and wait and you’ll find it and slowly add it to your cellar.

Thanks for the advice man, I’ll subscribe to all the in stock notifications.

Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow here. After a few years smoking cigars, I expanded into pipes recently. My first tobacco was the Amphora Virginia, which was ok, but a bit one dimensional for me. The current tin is much more to my taste.

This... I haven't really gone out of my way to look for it, yet I still have a decent stockpile of em. Worst part? I haven't even smoked a tin yet. I'm waiting for the latakia to age more to my level of enjoyment.

Hirsute

Have either of you gents tried Balkan Saseni and can you comment on how similar/dissimilar they are?
They're pretty different. Balkan Sobranie is made by Germaine, and it's a pretty classic balkan blend: rich, good base of virginias, latakia forward with orientals in the background. Balkan Sasieni is made by STG, and it's more of what I'd consider an oriental-forward blend, uses lighter virginias, and the latakia plays the supporting role.

They're pretty different. Balkan Sobranie is made by Germaine, and it's a pretty classic balkan blend: rich, good base of virginias, latakia forward with orientals in the background. Balkan Sasieni is made by STG, and it's more of what I'd consider an oriental-forward blend, uses lighter virginias, and the latakia plays the supporting role.

Oh that’s awesome, I prefer oriental forward blends.

You’re in luck then, because Balkan Sasieni is MUCH easier to find, and cheaper.

That’s very true. Since we’re talking about Balkan mixtures have you tried GLP Abingdon? I thought it was a really full blend more so than Dunhill Durbar.

Hirsute

That’s very true. Since we’re talking about Balkan mixtures have you tried GLP Abingdon? I thought it was a really full blend more so than Dunhill Durbar.

I haven’t. The Pease catalog is one that I’m only about half through, but I’ll definitely give that one a go.

Top Bottom