What's new

What Timeless Razor Is Most Aggressive/Efficient? | How do you know?

Most efficient/aggressive Timeless razor?

• Total voters
Why this has just occurred to me I have no idea, but I've been suddenly struck with the fact there are actually two versions of the Timeless Slim. I'm not talking metals here, but OC and SB.

I've used (eight shaves) the OC Slim in SS. That tells me little about the SB version especially in Ti.

I'll need to do some homework.

Happy shaves,

Jim
They make the Slim version in SS and Ti in both OC and SB, but to complicate it even more they offer each plate in matte or polished finish also!!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
They make the Slim version in SS and Ti in both OC and SB, but to complicate it even more they offer each plate in matte or polished finish also!!

I'm already settled on matte and titanium, so the others aren't options for me anymore. If I'm buying a Slim baseplate it's either or.
  1. Slim in OC, Ti, matte
  2. Slim in SB, Ti, matte
Still, your point applies to everyone else.

I've not decided to buy a Slim baseplate but wouldn't be surprised if I do.

I'm not convinced yet that I'd gain anything in terms of efficiency by buying a Slim baseplate. I'm also not convinced I wouldn't.

So far the poll favors the Bronze 78 which I already have as being the most aggressive/efficient.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm already settled on matte and titanium, so the others aren't options for me anymore. If I'm buying a Slim baseplate it's either or.
  1. Slim in OC, Ti, matte
  2. Slim in SB, Ti, matte
Still, your point applies to everyone else.

I've not decided to buy a Slim baseplate but wouldn't be surprised if I do.

I'm not convinced yet that I'd gain anything in terms of efficiency by buying a Slim baseplate. I'm also not convinced I wouldn't.

So far the poll favors the Bronze 78 which I already have as being the most aggressive/efficient.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Do keep in mind friend, Timeless does have a 30 day return policy...

Just had my first shave with the aluminum and it feels more agressive than either bronze plate. It's efficient alright but it seemed borderline bitey. I got a really close shave but there were two areas that felt a bit sensitive afterwards.

I just have a hard time thinking any razor could give me a better shave than my Ti95DC!! Because of how close this razor shaves I changed to shaving every other day because there's not enough stubble at the 24hr mark to shave again without any irritation... I'm setting right now at about 22hrs since shaving yesterday and can barely feel any stubble at all.

I have thought of trying other razors since getting my Ti95DC but as soon as I think about it I usually forget about it after my next shave!! I do want to try the Slim version base plate but again, I just can't see it being that much better than what I have now and being a minimalist it would drive me crazy just sitting on a shelf here not getting used like the other razors I sold off almost 3yrs ago...

Ti95DC.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The 78oc rips my face off.
My ti 95oc is not efficient enough for me

Haven’t tried the slim.

The aluminum 45sb is probably my favorite timeless, but I’m still not crazy about it.

What is efficient enough for you (and also reasonably smooth and comfortable, and safe)?

Asking for a friend of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

What is efficient enough for you (and also reasonably smooth and comfortable, and safe)?

Asking for a friend of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hey Jim,

One razor that ticks each of those boxes; muhle rocca. Not the fanciest. Not the most expensive. But balanced.

Others that are close to the rocca in terms of ticking the boxes:
Charcoal goods level 2
Razorock lupo ss 95
Blackland Sabre level 2
Edwin jager 316
Yates high plate

Razors I like that are a bit more on the too aggressive side:
Blackbird
Wunderbar
Dart
Hawk oc3

Razors I like that are on the too mild side:
Charcoal goods every day
Mamba 70
Tatara muramasa
Henson medium
Tradere oc

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey Jim,

One razor that ticks each of those boxes; muhle rocca. Not the fanciest. Not the most expensive. But balanced.

Charcoal goods level 2
Razorock lupo ss 95
Blackland Sabre level 2
Edwin jager 316
Yates high plate

Blackbird
Wunderbar
Dart
Hawk oc3

Charcoal goods every day
Mamba 70
Tatara muramasa
Henson medium
Tradere oc

Thank you. Very good answer.

I've tried the Wunderbar and actually used it for the 2021 Fixed Four finally getting a good shave with it. Actually I love how efficient it is and also how smooth it feels during the shave except for when it bites. The Blackbird tends to bite me, too. I've noticed that the more consistently I use the Wunderbar the better it is for me. Perhaps were I to use the Blackbird or the Wunderbar consistently enough for long enough they wouldn't bite. However, I don't like feeling scared of my razors and I don't like surprise nips.

The Mühle Rocca is not a razor I'd previous heard anything about. As a result of your post I did a great deal of reading up on it.

1623594683793.png

Apparently there have been several versions (V1 - V4). Now there are several handles and some confusing names and numbers.

1623594791610.png
1623594887035.png
R94 SS Handle​
R96 SS DLC​

The Mühle Rocca is available with several handles including SS and a SS DLC handle (and head).

Just looking at the razor and its head its blade does not appear to be clamped in the rigid manner of other razors I tend to favor. However, most reviewers do not mention chatter or a lack of smoothness (even ATG). Of course, not all reviews and comments are laudatory.

Mühle Rocca Birch.480.png
R95 Birch Handle​

One of the threads I enjoyed reading discussed this beautiful handle on the R95. It's a birch over aluminum handle (but keep reading).

1623593553748.png
R96 Black Handle​

From what I've read about the black handle on the Mühle R96, the handle is made of three pieces. Its central section is made of brass. The ends are SS. I'd assume the construction of the R95 is similar, but I really do not know.

I was not initially attracted by the R95 with the birch handle, but as I read about the look and especially the feel and durability of the birch my interest grew. The all SS handle is nice (very nice I'd guess), but I like the birch better.

I believe the heads are all the same on the razors mentioned with the exception of the DLC coating on one.

The head of these new Mühle Rocca razors is SS, apparently CNC or MIM (I think more likely CNC in the current available razors, but at least one reviewer prefers the MIM head). Apparently the last couple of iterations of the Rocca have been significantly improved in terms of manufacturing and quality control such that most reviews are very good indeed.

Well, you probably know where my reading led me...

I remain concerned about what appears to be a possible lack of blade rigidity.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you. Very good answer.

I've tried the Wunderbar and actually used it for the 2021 Fixed Four finally getting a good shave with it. Actually I love how efficient it is and also how smooth it feels during the shave except for when it bites. The Blackbird tends to bite me, too. I've noticed that the more consistently I use the Wunderbar the better it is for me. Perhaps were I to use the Blackbird or the Wunderbar consistently enough for long enough they wouldn't bite. However, I don't like feeling scared of my razors and I don't like surprise nips.

The Mühle Rocca is not a razor I'd previous heard anything about. As a result of your post I did a great deal of reading up on it.

View attachment 1281051

Apparently there have been several versions (V1 - V4). Now there are several handles and some confusing names and numbers.

R94 SS Handle​
R96 SS DLC​

The Mühle Rocca is available with several handles including SS and a SS DLC handle (and head).

Just looking at the razor and its head its blade does not appear to be clamped in the rigid manner of other razors I tend to favor. However, most reviewers do not mention chatter or a lack of smoothness (even ATG). Of course, not all reviews and comments are laudatory.

R95 Birch Handle​

One of the threads I enjoyed reading discussed this beautiful handle on the R95. It's a birch over aluminum handle (but keep reading).

R96 Black Handle​

From what I've read about the black handle on the Mühle R96, the handle is made of three pieces. Its central section is made of brass. The ends are SS. I'd assume the construction of the R95 is similar, but I really do not know.

I was not initially attracted by the R95 with the birch handle, but as I read about the look and especially the feel and durability of the birch my interest grew. The all SS handle is nice (very nice I'd guess), but I like the birch better.

I believe the heads are all the same on the razors mentioned with the exception of the DLC coating on one.

The head of these new Mühle Rocca razors is SS, apparently CNC or MIM (I think more likely CNC in the current available razors, but at least one reviewer prefers the MIM head). Apparently the last couple of iterations of the Rocca have been significantly improved in terms of manufacturing and quality control such that most reviews are very good indeed.

Well, you probably know where my reading led me...

I remain concerned about what appears to be a possible lack of blade rigidity.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I may be an outlier, but I’ve never once experienced blade chatter in over 5,000 de shaves. I’ve probably used 200 different razors. This whole mandatory clamping seems silly to me. The rocca shaves awesomely. That’s what matters to me. Fwiw, I’m a steep angle shaver.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I may be an outlier, but I’ve never once experienced blade chatter in over 5,000 de shaves. I’ve probably used 200 different razors. This whole mandatory clamping seems silly to me. The rocca shaves awesomely. That’s what matters to me. Fwiw, I’m a steep angle shaver.

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

Me, too.

Certainly, all things being equal, I'll take a very rigid blade, but, more than anything I want a great shave - a close, long lasting, and Damn Comfortable Shave - and don't pretend I know how to design and engineer razors.

If the Mühle people got it right I don't care what rules they broke.

For the record, today's shave with the Timeless Ti 95 OC was quite impressive.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I am having a real hard time understanding Timeless claiming that the slim plate is their most aggressive plate.

After going to their web site their specifications show the following:
Reg. SS/Ti- Gap: .95mm
Exp: .05mm
Bronze: Gap: .78mm
Exp: .15mm
Slim: Gap: .50mm

I think most would agree that #1 Exposure & #2 Gap are the most important factors for aggression. When I look at the above specifications I would expect the slim to be the least aggressive of the three.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am having a real hard time understanding Timeless claiming that the slim plate is their most aggressive plate.

After going to their web site their specifications show the following:
Reg. SS/Ti- Gap: .95mm
Bronze: Gap: .78mm
Exp: .15mm
Slim: Gap: .50mm

I think most would agree that #1 Exposure & #2 Gap are the most important factors for aggression. When I look at the above specifications I would expect the slim to be the least aggressive of the three.

Not saying you're wrong exactly, but there are several variables other than gap and blade exposure.

1623606992979.png

Currently there are 19 responses to the poll. Ten of them are for the Bronze 78 and only two for the Slim.

It's hard to be impressed by the poll though as we don't know which razors the voter has used, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Not saying you're wrong exactly, but there are several variables other than gap and blade exposure.

View attachment 1281156

Currently there are 19 responses to the poll. Ten of them are for the Bronze 78 and only two for the Slim.

It's hard to be impressed by the poll though as we don't know which razors the voter has used, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'm sure there are other variables that effect aggressiveness, but I don't know which are more important than exposure and gap. The poll which you illustrated above would seem to bare that out, but could be flawed as you indicate.

My only point is that Timeless claims that of the three razors I listed above the one with the smallest gap and exposure is the most aggressive. I would like to know how that is possible.

I'm sure there are other variables that effect aggressiveness, but I don't know which are more important than exposure and gap. The poll which you illustrated above would seem to bare that out, but could be flawed as you indicate.

My only point is that Timeless claims that of the three razors I listed above the one with the smallest gap and exposure is the most aggressive. I would like to know how that is possible.

Personally I returned the Slim because I couldn't get a close shave with it. Maybe I never found the right angle which must be very specific with such a small gap. I didn't participate in the poll because I have never used the Bronze.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Personally I returned the Slim because I couldn't get a close shave with it. Maybe I never found the right angle which must be very specific with such a small gap. I didn't participate in the poll because I have never used the Bronze.

Interesting.

Hey Jim,

Charcoal goods level 2
Razorock lupo ss 95
Blackland Sabre level 2
Edwin jager 316
Yates high plate

Blackbird
Wunderbar
Dart
Hawk oc3

Charcoal goods every day
Mamba 70
Tatara muramasa
Henson medium
Tradere oc

Since you have the Masamune, I would suggest getting the Nodachi base and cap. This is becoming my favorite razor. I have a lot of the razors on your tick and aggressive list and the Nodachi on Masamune handle out performs them and is a blast to use.

Since you have the Masamune, I would suggest getting the Nodachi base and cap. This is becoming my favorite razor. I have a lot of the razors on your tick and aggressive list and the Nodachi on Masamune handle out performs them and is a blast to use.

I have the muramasa adjustable. It would not accept the masamune components.

Top Bottom