What's new

What Timeless Razor Is Most Aggressive/Efficient? | How do you know?

Most efficient/aggressive Timeless razor?

• Total voters
I've been following this thread with some interest. The Timeless razors are beautiful, but I haven't been able to figure out if they will suit my preferences for...whatever the correct term is. Can I just avoid them both and say I want blade feel and I want it to cut down my stubble in the minimum of passes?

Anyway, I was digging through their descriptions of the razors and on some they use imperial and some they use metric (or at least that is the way it appears).

The Ti Slim has a .5mm blade gap and a .05mm blade exposure.

The OC bronze apparently has a .78mm blade gap and a .006" blade exposure which converts to .1524mm.

I guess that bears out the manufacturer's statement that the bronze is probably the more "aggressive." Although, when we are talking fractions of a millimeter, I don't know how noticeable it will be.

I'd still be very interested in seeing those razor head profile close up photos, though.

I've been following this thread with some interest. The Timeless razors are beautiful, but I haven't been able to figure out if they will suit my preferences for...whatever the correct term is. Can I just avoid them both and say I want blade feel and I want it to cut down my stubble in the minimum of passes?

Anyway, I was digging through their descriptions of the razors and on some they use imperial and some they use metric (or at least that is the way it appears).

The OC bronze apparently has a .78mm blade gap and a .006" blade exposure which converts to .1524mm.

I guess that bears out the manufacturer's statement that the bronze is probably the more "aggressive." Although, when we are talking fractions of a millimeter, I don't know how noticeable it will be.

I'd still be very interested in seeing those razor head profile close up photos, though.

If you are relying on numbers you're not understanding what Matt is just quoted as saying. It's too complex to judge based on two numbers. You can trust Matt's judgement about what feels aggressive to him or try one yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

You might want to try an iKon Tech (or Tek); the iKon people use both spellings for the same razor.

I want blade feel and I want it to cut down my stubble in the minimum of passes?

The iKon Tech will do both.

That is not me saying you'll like it, but, these days, the iKon Tech is not expensive to try.

Returning to the Timeless...​
1623947270167.png

I've now used the Bronze 78 enough to say it has a good bit of blade feel (and feels and acts somewhat "aggressive" in my view of it).

I've used the Slim OC eight times and the Slim SB just once. The Slim SB is not, in my view of it, aggressive, and it has very little blade feel.

I don't mind a bit of blade feel, but I'm not convinced blade feel is necessary for a close shave, and I'm not convinced blade feel is desirable (for me). That's not me saying others don't need and love and crave blade feel, nor me saying they shouldn't.

Also, from using the Karve G and the Karve F OC and the Karve D SB, I'd say there are razors with a lot of blade exposure and yet not much blade feel. All three feel to me surprisingly smooth to use.

I don't know jack other than my experiences.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Was able to send Matt a message this afternoon and he replied back within 2 hrs. This is what he had to say...

Hi Mike,

I would say that the .78 O.C. Bronze is our most aggressive (personal opinion). The Slim is aggressive in that it gets close to the skin quick and easy but a little more rough (until you get used to it) than the .95 original baseplate design. Once again in my opinion. I find our .95 to be the most smooth and efficient of our razors and still my favorite.

The numbers (blade gap, blade exposure and such are just numbers). The geometry, design, weight, technique all play into the aggressiveness of each razor. I’ll take smooth and efficient over aggressive or mild any day. These are just my thoughts and opinions after using all of our razors and many others. If I were to recommend a razor; I would go for the original .95 Scalloped Titanium.

Thank you

Matt

440-230-0303 ext: 105

This is great. Emailing was definitely the right idea. 👍

If you are relying on numbers you're not understanding what Matt is just quoted as saying. It's too complex to judge based on two numbers. You can trust Matt's judgement about what feels aggressive to him or try one yourself.

I recognize that there is more to how a razor shaves than just the numbers, not least of which is probably the shaver's technique, but I do like numerical comparisons when they are available. I also just found it a little odd that everything else on the page was metric except that measurement. The same is true on the pages for a few of the other razors.

I am tempted to try one out. They do have a very fair return policy.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I recognize that there is more to how a razor shaves than just the numbers, not least of which is probably the shaver's technique, but I do like numerical comparisons when they are available. I also just found it a little odd that everything else on the page was metric except that measurement. The same is true on the pages for a few of the other razors.

I am tempted to try one out. They do have a very fair return policy.

Which Timeless razor are you considering?

Which Timeless razor are you considering?
After reading this thread, probably the Bronze 78 OC. Partly because I have never tried a bronze razor.

Runner up would probably be the Ti or SS .95 most likely with the scalloped base plate. However, my razor preferences make me an outlier, and I have a suspicion I won't be happy with the .95 (and possibly not with the 78 either). I shave daily and I like to be able to get everything in a max of 2 passes with some cleanup. If I can do it 1 1/2 passes, even better. Anything more tends to leave me irritated. Early in the thread someone compared the .95 to the Blackbird, and as much as I admired my Ti BB, I ended up having to return it for the reasons above.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
After reading this thread, probably the Bronze 78 OC. Partly because I have never tried a bronze razor.

Runner up would probably be the Ti or SS .95 most likely with the scalloped base plate. However, my razor preferences make me an outlier, and I have a suspicion I won't be happy with the .95 (and possibly not with the 78 either). I shave daily and I like to be able to get everything in a max of 2 passes with some cleanup. If I can do it 1 1/2 passes, even better. Anything more tends to leave me irritated. Early in the thread someone compared the .95 to the Blackbird, and as much as I admired my Ti BB, I ended up having to return it for the reasons above.

Seriously, try the iKon Tech.

There are no razors of the many I've tried which have given me that sort of shave and also a comfortable shave.

Last edited:
Seriously, try the iKon Tech.

There are no razors of the many I've tried which gives me that sort of shave and also is comfortable.
Thank you! Good suggestion - I already have one! Very capable razor that is definitely in my wheelhouse. There is something about the material (aluminum?) that I am not crazy about, but I definitely use it from time to time. Not to mention a great value.

Thank you! Good suggestion - I already have one! Very capable razor that is definitely in my wheelhouse. There is something about the material (aluminum?) that I am not crazy about, but I definitely use it from time to time. Not to mention a great value.

I have one that I've never used. I'm going to have to give it a spin as well. I seem to remember the Ikon Tek (mine is the post Tech Tek) being held out as the boogeyman of aggressive razors.

The "if" in my question was the most important word. I think I more or less understand what makes the Slim aggressive, and I'm reasonably happy with the evidence that I've offered (it would be nice to have close-up profile pics of the two razors). My question was "if I'm wrong, what's your explanation for why the exposure and gap are smaller than the Bronze .78, but the razor is more aggressive?". The only explanation offered so far is that Timeless might be lying. I'm not sure how I would word an email to Timeless to asking whether physics is real or whether they're lying. 😃

I've never tried the Slim but now I'm very curious to. My new razor microscope is coming in today, and I'd love to get a closeup look at the geometry and measure the blade exposure.
There are some very good pictures showing the slim's blade exposure. If you go back to 2-16-2021 under the title "Timeless Stainless Steel Slim (OC+Smooth Cap) | Overview | First Shave Report". This was posted by Cal on 1-8-2021 and it runs 4 pages.

It appears to show Timeless's claim of .05mm blade exposure to be quite a bit more than stated.

M

member 119848

The .78 OC gave me close shaves but after a few days of daily shaving it gave me razor burn.
The SB plate on the other hand, felt so good that I sold the OC plate.

I also had a few stainless steel plates, and as a daily shaver, I didn´t find the .95 gap to be more efficient than the .68.

I still own the SB bronze and the .68 SB + SB Slim in Titanium, and I find the Slim to be the most efficient of the 3, followed by the the bronze.
As you can see, I prefer getting my efficiency from blade exposure rather than blade gap.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

There's no substitute, in my opinion, for loading up a blade and seeing for yourself how a particular razor shaves - on your beard, face and skin. :cool:

YMMV :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

If the Ikon TEK doesn't have enough blade, there's always the Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan:

roedter1909.jpg

I have, and have used, the Roedter 1909, Ikon TEK and Timeless Bronze .78 OC. This is how I rate them for blade feel:
  • Roedter 1909
  • Ikon TEK
  • Timeless Bronze .78 OC
I shave steep, have a very wiry and thick beard and do not have sensitive skin.

YMMV :cool:

If the Ikon TEK doesn't have enough blade, there's always the Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan:

View attachment 1283159

I have, and have used, the Roedter 1909, Ikon TEK and Timeless Bronze .78 OC. This is how I rate them for blade feel:
  • Roedter 1909
  • Ikon TEK
  • Timeless Bronze .78 OC

The Roedter looks right up my alley. I'm going to have to put this on my wishlist and see if I ever come across one.

Just for clarification, if you were to put these three razors on a scaled spectrum of blade feel with other razors, I am guessing the Timeless bronze would be pretty far away from the Ikon Tek and the Roedter, with a good number of other razors with more blade feel in between, is that correct?

Any experience with a Karve SB G plate, by chance?

View attachment 1283159

• Roedter 1909
  • Ikon TEK
  • Timeless Bronze .78 OC

I don't experience more blade feel as particularly a key to better shave though the stubble on my head is also very coarse and I have no skin issues. A Micromatic OC/CP for example does a far better job with way way less drama than my iKon Tech or Le Coq Caged Head. So does my Timeless Bronze for that matter. I turn to those razors for sport , I can't imagine them as the best shaving option for anyone unless it's a quien es mas macho kinda thing.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Roedter looks right up my alley. I'm going to have to put this on my wishlist and see if I ever come across one.

Just for clarification, if you were to put these three razors on a scaled spectrum of blade feel with other razors, I am guessing the Timeless bronze would be pretty far away from the Ikon Tek and the Roedter, with a good number of other razors with more blade feel in between, is that correct?

Any experience with a Karve SB G plate, by chance?

I have the Karve SB-G, consider it to be an outstanding razor and also an excellent value for the money. The SB-G is one of those razors that has plenty of blade, but remains smooth and controlled - not at all aggressive. With the SB-G plate, the Karve Brass moved right into my Big Dogs Rotation.

I pay more attention to the total shaving experience with a razor than I do individual traits. That's why I have Big Dog razors ranging from the Timeless Bronze .78 OC and Karve Brass SB-G to the Gillette Hybrid Tech. ;)

I don't experience more blade feel as particularly a key to better shave though the stubble on my head is also very coarse and I have no skin issues. A Micromatic OC/CP for example does a far better job with way way less drama than my iKon Tech or Le Coq Caged Head. So does my Timeless Bronze for that matter. I turn to those razors for sport , I can't imagine them as the best shaving option for anyone unless it's a quien es mas macho kinda thing.

I guess I am using blade feel as a way to avoid wading into the debate over efficiency vs. aggressiveness. I don't really mind blade feel or some blade chatter, and I think that is largely of product of my shaving "upbringing." I just like a razor that will get rid of hair in as few passes as possible. By way of explanation, a big chunk of my time wet shaving was with Feather Straight DX razors. Blade chatter with it is guaranteed bloodletting, but after a moment of carelessness with it one morning, I started exploring DE razors and coincidentally around that time the 2011 R41 was introduced, which became my daily driver for 10+ years. It has pretty hefty blade chatter and feel, but it works for me. Now I am on the hunt again - I realized the zamak on my R41 wasn't going to last forever. I like the AC blade format from my DX days for its rigidity, and I had high hopes the Vector might be my new "desert island razor," but it doesn't have enough blade exposure (or whatever) for my preferences/beard. So not a macho thing for me, I'm just at a strange end of the shaving spectrum.

Big caveat - I don't shave my head, just my face.

Top Bottom