What's new

What Timeless Razor Is Most Aggressive/Efficient? | How do you know?

Most efficient/aggressive Timeless razor?

• Total voters
Dovo,
In general I believe I understand what you are saying with regard to pressure= force/surface area.

Getting back to Timeless's warning against pressure. To quote Timeless " This AGRESSIVE 0.5mm blade gap makes for a quick smooth shave. Just don't press. This is our most aggressive razor yet but with the right touch it provides a smooth efficient shave." My take on this is all about risk/reward all under the heading of their most aggressive razor yet. The risk with incorrect touch (technique) leads to blood, irritation etc. With the right touch the aggressive razor provides a smooth efficient shave. I think this implies that their most aggressive razor is capable of giving the most efficient and smooth shave of all of their razors. Why else would someone risk buying their most aggressive razor without the reward of their most efficient and smooth razor.
I think smooth is a different thing altogether and I'm not about to try to define it.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Dovo,
In general I believe I understand what you are saying with regard to pressure= force/surface area.

Getting back to Timeless's warning against pressure. To quote Timeless " This AGRESSIVE 0.5mm blade gap makes for a quick smooth shave. Just don't press. This is our most aggressive razor yet but with the right touch it provides a smooth efficient shave." My take on this is all about risk/reward all under the heading of their most aggressive razor yet. The risk with incorrect touch (technique) leads to blood, irritation etc. With the right touch the aggressive razor provides a smooth efficient shave. I think this implies that their most aggressive razor is capable of giving the most efficient and smooth shave of all of their razors. Why else would someone risk buying their most aggressive razor without the reward of their most efficient and smooth razor.

Fair enough. I'll be the first to admit that "muzzle volume" is something I made up last week, and it may well be a figment of my imagination. It makes makes sense in soap addled brain, but that may more of an indictment than supportive. 😋

If I'm wrong about "muzzle volume" however, the mystery remains. If not exposure, gap, or "muzzle volume", what accounts for the razor designer's claim that is the most aggressive razor that they've ever sold?

Fair enough. I'll be the first to admit that "muzzle volume" is something I made up last week, and it may well be a figment of my imagination. It makes makes sense in soap addled brain, but that may more of an indictment than supportive. [emoji39]

If I'm wrong about "muzzle volume" however, the mystery remains. If not exposure, gap, or "muzzle volume", what accounts for the razor designer's claim that is the most aggressive razor that they've ever sold?
My guess is the frequency with which the designer nicked himself.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Dovo,

Why else would someone risk buying their most aggressive razor without the reward of their most efficient and smooth razor?

From what I've gathered some guys will sacrifice some smoothness to get some more efficiency.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm thinking either an email or a simple phone call could get you the answer you are looking for!! Have you tried the "Slim" yet?

The "if" in my question was the most important word. I think I more or less understand what makes the Slim aggressive, and I'm reasonably happy with the evidence that I've offered (it would be nice to have close-up profile pics of the two razors). My question was "if I'm wrong, what's your explanation for why the exposure and gap are smaller than the Bronze .78, but the razor is more aggressive?". The only explanation offered so far is that Timeless might be lying. I'm not sure how I would word an email to Timeless to asking whether physics is real or whether they're lying. 😃

I've never tried the Slim but now I'm very curious to. My new razor microscope is coming in today, and I'd love to get a closeup look at the geometry and measure the blade exposure.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm going to try to take some good pictures for you, Nick @Dovo1695, when I get a chance. Hopefully I'll have enough time on Saturday. Which razors do you need photos of other than the Timeless Bronze 78?

1623853157732.png

I can't promise to have all the razors (I'm not David @never-stop-learning). I can promise I'm not great with the photography but I'll give it a shot.

I'm talking head shots of the razors loaded with a blade trying to get the angles right (and the focus). All I have is my iPhone but it's a newish one with a good camera; I don't know how to use my wife's Leica (and I'm not sure she does either; my brother wasted his money buying it for her).

I doubt Timeless is lying (or anybody else). My guess is the words ("aggressive" in particular) are ill defined to the point of meaninglessness in our community (the large wet shaving world). I'm also not defending Timeless (or anybody).

My view of my Timeless razors?
  • I like my Timeless Ti 95 OC. (I'm not sure it's efficient "enough" but it's a great razor.)
  • I like myTimeless Bronze 38.
  • The jury is still out on the Bronze 78. (It is "aggressive, but I'm trying to learn it).
  • I've not yet used my Aluminum.
  • I have the Slim SB baseplate in transit.
  • I used a borrowed Slim OC (eight shaves) and don't have it anymore. I didn't love it.
I've had only great experiences with the Timeless company.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to try to take some good pictures for you, Nick @Dovo1695, when I get a chance. Hopefully I'll have enough time on Saturday. Which razors do you need photos of other than the Timeless Bronze 78?

View attachment 1282488

I can't promise to have all the razors (I'm not David @never-stop-learning). I can promise I'm not great with the photography but I'll give it a shot.

I'm talking head shots of the razors loaded with a blade trying to get the angles right (and the focus). All I have is my iPhone but it's a newish one with a good camera; I don't know how to use my wife's Leica (and I'm not sure she does either; my brother wasted his money buying it for her).

I doubt Timeless is lying (or anybody else). My guess is the words ("aggressive" in particular) are ill defined to the point of meaninglessness in our community (the large wet shaving world). I'm also not defending Timeless (or anybody).

My view of my Timeless razors?
  • I like my Timeless Ti 95 OC. (I'm not sure it's efficient "enough" but it's a great razor.)
  • I like myTimeless Bronze 38.
  • The jury is still out on the Bronze 78. (It is "aggressive, but I'm trying to learn it).
  • I've not yet used my Aluminum.
  • I have the Slim SB baseplate in transit.
  • I used a borrowed Slim OC (eight shaves) and don't have it anymore. I didn't love it.
I've had only great experiences with the Timeless company.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm curious to read about your shaves with the Slim SB. :)

1623853157732.png

That would be awesome. Just the Timeless Slim and Timeless Bronze 78 would be a great start. As I've learned the hard way, taking headshots of a razor is a tricky business. Like you said, being as vertical as possible over it is key, otherwise the perspective is skewed. Putting the apex of the blade in the center of the picture is important too. The lens is curved, so the parts the image towards the edge of the photo are not as accurate. It's usually impossible to get the profile of the razor and the apex in perfect focus at the same time, so err towards getting the blade apex in focus. You basically want the best closeup of half the razor head you can get. The closer the close-up, the more pixels there are to work with. Ideally there should be a ruler or something of known width on the razor head but don't worry about it if you don't have anything handy. I can use the blade thickness of as long as it's in focus.

Most importantly, since I currently have 0 headshots of either, yours are guaranteed to be the best I have ever seen. I be thrilled with whatever you come up with. Thanks a bunch!

Was able to send Matt a message this afternoon and he replied back within 2 hrs. This is what he had to say...

Hi Mike,

I would say that the .78 O.C. Bronze is our most aggressive (personal opinion). The Slim is aggressive in that it gets close to the skin quick and easy but a little more rough (until you get used to it) than the .95 original baseplate design. Once again in my opinion. I find our .95 to be the most smooth and efficient of our razors and still my favorite.

The numbers (blade gap, blade exposure and such are just numbers). The geometry, design, weight, technique all play into the aggressiveness of each razor. I’ll take smooth and efficient over aggressive or mild any day. These are just my thoughts and opinions after using all of our razors and many others. If I were to recommend a razor; I would go for the original .95 Scalloped Titanium.

Thank you

Matt

440-230-0303 ext: 105

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Was able to send Matt a message this afternoon and he replied back within 2 hrs. This is what he had to say...

Hi Mike,

I would say that the .78 O.C. Bronze is our most aggressive (personal opinion). The Slim is aggressive in that it gets close to the skin quick and easy but a little more rough (until you get used to it) than the .95 original baseplate design. Once again in my opinion. I find our .95 to be the most smooth and efficient of our razors and still my favorite.

The numbers (blade gap, blade exposure and such are just numbers). The geometry, design, weight, technique all play into the aggressiveness of each razor. I’ll take smooth and efficient over aggressive or mild any day. These are just my thoughts and opinions after using all of our razors and many others. If I were to recommend a razor; I would go for the original .95 Scalloped Titanium.

Thank you

Matt

Very thoughtful and thorough response. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Hi Mike,

Thank you

Matt

Great idea to ask Matt.

I enjoyed his answer, but would have several follow up questions in an attempt to clarify my understanding of what he said.

How does he define aggressive? Does he define aggressive in the way I do? Etc?

Interesting what his personal favorite and recommendation is. Having used the 95 OC a few times I understand why I think. Maybe I should acquire the 95 scalloped sometime.

What Matt says about the numbers is intriguing isn't it.

Thanks for asking him and thanks to Matt for answering.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Great idea to ask Matt.

I enjoyed his answer, but would have several follow up questions in an attempt to clarify my understanding of what he said.

How does he define aggressive? Does he define aggressive in the way I do? Etc?

Interesting what his personal favorite and recommendation is. Having used the 95 OC a few times I understand why I think. Maybe I should acquire the 95 scalloped sometime.

What Matt says about the numbers is intriguing isn't it.

Thanks for asking him and thanks to Matt for answering.

Happy shaves,

Jim
He defines it clearly as "gets to the skin quickly" which matches just fine with the dictionary definition posted above ("ready or likely to attack"), and conrasts it with "smooth and efficient". i don't know why people need to make up their own definitions or how many times it needs to be said that aggressive and efficient are two different things. Folks saying "I prefer to call it efficient" rather than prone to bite need to be schooled in English.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
He defines it clearly as "gets to the skin quickly" which matches just fine with the dictionary definition posted above ("ready or likely to attack"), and conrasts it with "smooth and efficient". i don't know why people need to make up their own definitions or how many times it needs to be said that aggressive and efficient are two different things. Folks saying "I prefer to call it efficient" rather than prone to bite need to be schooled in English.

The definition lines up with how I use the term "aggressive".

Top Bottom