What's new

What time of day do you shave?

As a guy long retired who keeps terrible, nocturnal hours, I'm an afternoon to late afternoon shaver. I've always hear it's best to shave in the morning or is it when you first get up. Neither of those is happening since the days of having to be up by 5:30 AM (now, that's more like my bedtime!).

When do you guys shave? Is it because of when you're working or?

Interesting. I've not seen any data to back up the claim that AM shaving is superior. Not sure why that would be the case.

I shave in the morning M-F for work. If I shave on the weekend, or on a holiday or vacation day, it's usually whenever it suits me best, which might be late afternoon or evening.

Interesting. I've not seen any data to back up the claim that AM shaving is superior. Not sure why that would be the case.

I shave in the morning M-F for work. If I shave on the weekend, or on a holiday or vacation day, it's usually whenever it suits me best, which might be late afternoon or evening.
I haven't seen any either. It's the internet, people can write whatever they want without sourcing it and it becomes part of the canon of life. I doubt it makes any difference if you prep properly (or once you reach a certain age...).

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Neither of those is happening since the days of having to be up by 5:30 AM

For a couple of decades when I got up at 3:30 every morning to get in to work my second thought was, "When I was in the Army I got to sleep in until 5:00." My first thought every morning when the alarm went off was not such as to share in this public forum.

When do you guys shave?

As another retired guy I can shave whenever I happen to find myself in the Lather Pit with some free time. Not the way it works, however. I spent too many years where the shaving routine was the first thing on the agenda. I can generally get outta the rack, do the morning stretch routine, have breakfast and give the dog her laser treatment AND shave, all on the first cup of coffee.

To be fair, it's a fairly large mug. :)

O.H.

If you shave in the morning, you get your 5 o'clock shadow at 5 o'clock in the afternoon. If you shave in the evening, you get your 5 o'clock shadow at 6 o'clock in the morning. You spend your entire workday with a light beard. I think that's why a morning shave is preferable to an evening shave.

As for me, six months into this round of DE shaving, I find shaving works best a little more than 24 hours after the last shave. I just shaved at 6:15 PM, so my next shave will be tomorrow night.

If you shave in the morning, you get your 5 o'clock shadow at 5 o'clock in the afternoon. If you shave in the evening, you get your 5 o'clock shadow at 6 o'clock in the morning. You spend your entire workday with a light beard. I think that's why a morning shave is preferable to an evening shave.

As for me, six months into this round of DE shaving, I find shaving works best a little more than 24 hours after the last shave. I just shaved at 6:15 PM, so my next shave will be tomorrow night.
Most of us kept electric shavers in our desks back in my time. We were all suit guys dealing with clients and prospective clients. Being clean shaven all day was expected. In my case, with my lighter colored beard, it wasn't as noticeable on me as some of the guys but I'd still run the electric over my face before a meeting with a client, prospective client, or boss.

Today? I shaved around 3 PM. ;)

Evening for me after the kids are down. I’ve got as much uninterrupted time as I want/need. I work from home so it doesn’t really matter when my 5 o’clock shadow shows up.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
full

7:00 A.M.
Old habits die hard

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Some people love to shave when the rooster 🐓 crows in the morning. But, let me tell you, oh my God its early! I operate under my own hours, so if I have work to do, I will shave in the morning at a normal hour however. But if I don't have to go to work, I will shave in the evening instead.

Also another factor to consider is heat. My shave den is not AC cooled, so I absolutely DO NOT want to be shaving in my den, when its 80+ in there. Otherwise, I will be the chicken roasted to perfection in there, and the lather is just to butter me up for the roasting process. 🤪 So no hot afternoon shaves for me!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
As a retiree I still get up early, but my wife does not descend until 9:00 or 9:30. After breakfast I have another cup of coffee and head up to shave around 10:00.

Top Bottom