What's new

What Think You?

All whisk(e)y aged in new barrels/casks? Reusing? Previous contents can have a masking effect on deficiencies in distilling?

50% or less Corn in Bourbon Mashbill? Percentage requirements in single grain whiskies i.e. "Rye" for instance? All potables listing age must use the age of the youngest in stating it? Standardizing Tequila production methods? No artificial additives used in production?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
You can't call it "bourbon" if it's not more that 50% corn and aged in a new, charred, oak barrel, although it can be moved from that barrel after no less than 2 years and put into something else (including a barrel used for something else).

I don't recall if it's required, but I can't think of a Scotch whisky that's aged in anything other than a used barrel (typically a used bourbon barrel, and then maybe to something else).

Age statements, percentage requirements, and other defined terms (e.g., "single malt") are quite fine with me. I want to know what I'm getting (or what I'm not), and all those are very easy ways to do it while both preserving trade secrets and not having to fill a label with a bunch of legal stuff.

I don't know about standardizing production of anything beyond a few, clear requirements that reach the same effect as what I talked about above.

"Artificial additives" is far too broad to discuss usefully. I do want to know if any artificial flavor or color is added.

You can't call it "bourbon" if it's not more that 50% corn and aged in a new, charred, oak barrel, although it can be moved from that barrel after no less than 2 years and put into something else (including a barrel used for something else).

I am aware of the 50%+ corn requirement but think 1% would make little if any difference.

I don't recall if it's required, but I can't think of a Scotch whisky that's aged in anything other than a used barrel (typically a used bourbon barrel, and then maybe to something else).

Sometimes it seems that the used barrels impart too much of their characteristics i.e. Bourbon, Sherry, Port, etc.

Age statements, percentage requirements, and other defined terms (e.g., "single malt") are quite fine with me. I want to know what I'm getting (or what I'm not), and all those are very easy ways to do it while both preserving trade secrets and not having to fill a label with a bunch of legal stuff.

Likewise.

I don't know about standardizing production of anything beyond a few, clear requirements that reach the same effect as what I talked about above.

Perhaps.

"Artificial additives" is far too broad to discuss usefully. I do want to know if any artificial flavor or color is added.

Me too, that is what I was referring to.

Top Bottom