What's new

What the heck just happened?? (Gillette Tech)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
OK, time to try some other Techs now. :wink2:
These are some USA models.

full

Any solid recommendations for modern clones? Are there any made of quality materials?

My experience with a Tech was similar to yours, minus the R41. @Esox helped me understand that the smoothness and efficiency had to do with the razor head design and, most importantly, rigidity.

I started a thread to find any recommendations for razors that shave like a Tech. I ended up getting a RR Lupo and a Fatip Gentile. The Lupo is fine and made of aluminium. The Fatip is fantastic, like the Tech, only better (and made of brass). Smoother and more efficient. I'll be adding an OC Fatip soon and then I'll be done for modern razors for the time being. I will, however, be on the prowl for vinatge Gillettes at a bargain price.

My experience with a Tech was similar to yours, minus the R41. @Esox helped me understand that the smoothness and efficiency had to do with the razor head design and, most importantly, rigidity.

I started a thread to find any recommendations for razors that shave like a Tech. I ended up getting a RR Lupo and a Fatip Gentile. The Lupo is fine and made of aluminium. The Fatip is fantastic, like the Tech, only better (and made of brass). Smoother and more efficient. I'll be adding an OC Fatip soon and then I'll be done for modern razors for the time being. I will, however, be on the prowl for vinatge Gillettes at a bargain price.

Thanks for the info, and I'll check out your thread. I had my third perfect shave in a row with the Tech this morning and it's making me rethink future purchases. I've been eyeing Timeless, Charcoal Goods, and I'm on the waiting list for a Wolfman. I'll probably still end up buying at least two of those, but I'm doubting whether I'll see any improvement in performance. I'll check out the Lupo and Gentile, too.

I’m so happy I found this thread today. Been increasing aggressiveness and blade sharpness the past 7 months to achieve a smooth neck. Feather finally output desired results but was harsh. Haven’t touch my prewar Tech since first use. Put a feather in its cap and called it macaroni! Had my best shave ever today!!! 3-pass BBS, very comfortable, and no irritation. I’ll be using the tech as my daily driver.

I've leaned towards more 'aggressive' razors because the wider angle range seem(ed) to work better for head shaving. I kept hearing about the greatness of the Tech but never gave it much mind because I thought my 1921 NI and 1906 SR were the pinnacle of shaving existence. In the past few weeks I've tried a red tip, TV special, black beauty, and a Maggard v3-A (one of my two modern razors). The Tech wins hands down and might be better than the NI and SR.

I've tried the fat handle and ball end so far, the fat handle was pretty great.

Attachments

• 20200330_203643.jpg
    20200330_203643.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom