What's new

What the heck is wrong with me?

I'm inching closer to making the leap (if for no other reason now than to conquer the fear - I've been bungy jumping, for cryin' out loud!).

Spend the extra $20 and get a Tony Milller "Barber's friend" or whatever he is calling them these days.
. . .
You may also find that the act of stropping is quite enjoyable as part of the shave. I know I sure do!

That's the 2 1/2 inch "beginner" strop, right?

As to your concluding statement, that's one of the reasons I decided that a replaceable blade system is probably not be the way to go.

I meant to thank you for alerting me to these, even though I was not ready to make a purchase. The second one seemed like quite a bargain as well.

I'm curious about one thing. I assume that for a while I'll only do one pass, WTG. When I shave with a DE, my WTG pass goes up on my neck (in fact, switching from down to up ended years of neck irritation). In every picture or video I've seen about straights, the first pass is always down on the neck. Do any of you guys shave up on the neck first? Will it be harder for me to learn to hold and manuever the razor that way?

Thanks.

Edit: oh, yeah, what size would be good to start with? 5/8?

Last edited:
I'm inching closer to making the leap (if for no other reason now than to conquer the fear - I've been bungy jumping, for cryin' out loud!).

That's the 2 1/2 inch "beginner" strop, right?

As to your concluding statement, that's one of the reasons I decided that a replaceable blade system is probably not be the way to go.

I meant to thank you for alerting me to these, even though I was not ready to make a purchase. The second one seemed like quite a bargain as well.

I'm curious about one thing. I assume that for a while I'll only do one pass, WTG. When I shave with a DE, my WTG pass goes up on my neck (in fact, switching from down to up ended years of neck irritation). In every picture or video I've seen about straights, the first pass is always down on the neck. Do any of you guys shave up on the neck first? Will it be harder for me to learn to hold and manuever the razor that way?

Thanks.

Edit: oh, yeah, what size would be good to start with? 5/8?

I am impressed with your thoroughness. You are asking good questions. Only some of which I can answer. You are going to have fun with this.

As always, be careful in listening to me. I seem to have some minority opinions.

<Do any of you guys shave up on the neck first? Will it be harder for me to learn to hold and manuever the razor that way?>

No, I do not shave up my neck on the first pass on my neck. I do not know that it will be harder, except that it seems that you would be shaving XTG and shaving XTG always has more resistance. I thought the deal on shaving XTG was that shaving with the grain and across the grain brought the whiskers down so that you XTG was not so traumatic. But no, I would not think it would be significantly harder to learn to hold and manuever the razor.

I may be kind of minority on this. I hold the razor only with my right hand. I do not stretch the skin on my face using my other hand. I just tilt my head and make funny faces, etc.

I would say that most guys start with 5/8 or 6/8. I would say that either size would be fine as a middle of the road You certainly do not want smaller. You could, I suppose, go larger, if you were drawn to it for some reason.

Well, thanks for putting up with it.

de nada! and your obsession does not distinguish you from me or most another people around here. And if I really had your best interests at heart, I would tell you that its going to get worse! But I won't.

<I'm inching closer to making the leap (if for no other reason now than to conquer the fear - I've been bungy jumping, for cryin' out loud!).>

I meant to say, though, keep that fear re your kids. I am a great believer ithat my anxiety about my children forms a protective cloud around them and helps keep them from harm! <g> Do not want any Mike Tyson type incidents among the B&B family, Heaven help him!

proxy.php

I'm buying one, ok? Now turn that damn thing off!

on its way home to you.

6/8 eagle, german razor, bloodwood scales, clear acrylic pin less wedge, silver/brushed steel collars.
these scales were given to me, I didnt make them but they are still nice.

A perfect starter razor, its much nicer in person.

on its way home to you.

6/8 eagle, german razor, bloodwood scales, clear acrylic pin less wedge, silver/brushed steel collars.

Thanks, man! I'm looking forward to giving it a try!

on its way home to you.

It arrived today. You're right, it is even nicer in person!

Edit: the etching on the blade is very cool, and really doesn't come across in the photos.

Oy, it'll be a miracle if I do this without cutting my ear off! :w00t:

Last edited:
Top Bottom