What's new

what supplements & vitamins do you take?

hey so i was wondering what supplements and vitamins do you take?

i do take a few different thing just to name a few black seed oil, cod liver oil, biotin, multivitamins etc,
but i find that i always tend to go through pahses and im so inconsistent but as of recently ive been trying to really stick with it

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I take one Centrum multivitamin for men over 50 and one Seven Seas cod liver oil tablet per day. I am not convinced of the benefits but the wife tells me to take them. At least she tells me they are multivitamins and cod liver oil, they could be anything...... 😁

I take one Centrum multivitamin for men over 50 and one Seven Seas cod liver oil tablet per day. I am not convinced of the benefits but the wife tells me to take them. At least she tells me they are multivitamins and cod liver oil, they could be anything...... 😁
i got some gelatine free seven seas cod liver oil and some from holland and barret too,
the seven seas seems to be smaller capsules, think theyre roughly about the same mg or there abouts

have you tried black seed oil? its got a strong smell and taste but got some amazing benefits, check it out on youtube

i dont mean to sound rude but you mentioned 50 and over, do you think having these supplments later in life help?

obviously a good diet is better as supplements are just mean to supplemnt a good diet, tbh my diets poor

I try to get my nutrients through eating good food. The nutrients are balanced and not overly concentrated. Foods contain phytonutrients and fiber that supplements do not. Vitamins and supplements may be useful for a few nutrients that can be difficult to obtain such as Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D.

It's a good idea to get your doctor to test your blood levels and recommend a supplement if needed.

I try to take:

Vitamin B12 - 1,000 micrograms@twice per week
Vitamin D3 - range of 1,500 - 5,000 IU@daily

Otherwise, I log my food periodically and track the nutrients, so changes can be made if there are shortfalls.

I try to get my nutrients through eating good food. The nutrients are balanced and not overly concentrated. Foods contain phytonutrients and fiber that supplements do not. Vitamins and supplements may be useful for a few nutrients that can be difficult to obtain such as Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D.

It's a good idea to get your doctor to test your blood levels and recommend a supplement if needed.

I try to take:

Vitamin B12 - 1,000 micrograms@twice per week
Vitamin D3 - range of 1,500 - 5,000 IU@daily

Otherwise, I log my food periodically and track the nutrients, so changes can be made if there are shortfalls.
100% agree with that

yea i have a vitamin d deficency so i have that too, do you have vitamin b12 due to deficency?

i did download an app called bearable which is a mood tracker but i really need to download a food tracker,
mrs downloaded one dont know what its called but it trackes most things all in one app

I take a multivitamin for men over 50 with dinner every night. I try to eat healthy but tend to fall short.

As my Doc's says, "It's a supplement not a substitute."

true say

which brand multivitamins do you have?

mrs got mine from superdrugs a high street store in the uk but i think its a basic one, not like a really good one tbh

true say

which brand multivitamins do you have?

mrs got mine from superdrugs a high street store in the uk but i think its a basic one, not like a really good one tbh
It's either a brand name Centrum, or a knock-off with the same formulation. Sometimes I can find the knock-off version on the shelf, sometimes I can't, at which point I get the brand-name. The price difference between the two isn't enough to concern me.

Reactions: saj
100% agree with that

yea i have a vitamin d deficency so i have that too, do you have vitamin b12 due to deficency?

i did download an app called bearable which is a mood tracker but i really need to download a food tracker,
mrs downloaded one dont know what its called but it trackes most things all in one app
I use cronometer.com for tracking nutrition, exercise and biometrics like weight. There are others that are good, too, but I have stuck with that one. It has a huge food database, but I'm not sure about your situation being in the UK (i.e. whether the same foods in your stores are in the database).

B12 deficiency is a very individual thing. It can be due to lack of intrinsic factor in the digestive tract, which declines with age. That is why blood testing is important. If you need to get topped up, a doctor can give you a B12 injection which will boost your levels much faster than any pill ever could. B12 deficiency is no joke.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I take vitamins inconsistently but I usually take a multi, C, b complex, D, and b12.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
i got some gelatine free seven seas cod liver oil and some from holland and barret too,
the seven seas seems to be smaller capsules, think theyre roughly about the same mg or there abouts

have you tried black seed oil? its got a strong smell and taste but got some amazing benefits, check it out on youtube

i dont mean to sound rude but you mentioned 50 and over, do you think having these supplments later in life help?

obviously a good diet is better as supplements are just mean to supplemnt a good diet, tbh my diets poor
I suspect that if one gets all the nutrients one needs from a balanced diet then supplements simply pass unused through the body. I also think that damage caused by poor nutrition is probably greater at a younger age than at my age in my 50s but that is just a guess. Anyway, the wife is a nurse so I don't argue with her. The tablets are definitely beneficial to my health since if I refuse to take them I get ear ache from nagging and a bad back from sleeping on the sofa. 👍

I've taken a multivitamin for more than 30 years now. About 20 years ago I added fiber. I take that with my cholesterol and blood pressure meds.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I take the usual Mutliple vitamins.

But I get some free juices: orange , apple, grape.

Then I don’t take a vitamin, just the juice.

I prefer to take a single men's multi-vitamin but currently take D3, zinc, and C. I think adding B6 and B12 would be a good idea.

I used to take supplements...
I suspect that if one gets all the nutrients one needs from a balanced diet then supplements simply pass unused through the body.
:laugh: until one day I noticed something odd looking in a stool (before flushing it away). On closer inspection it was a pristine (with the exception of a light brown coating) multivitamin tablet.

Since that day I've never taken another supplement. My health is just as good as ever.
Let food be thy medicine and medicine by thy food. ~Hippocrates
I also refuse to take drugs/medicines. I intend to remain healthy. YMMV :wink2:

I take vitamin D when I remember. I eat salmon pretty much daily otherwise I would probably take an omega complex too. Other than that I get everything I need from food.

W
It's either a brand name Centrum, or a knock-off with the same formulation. Sometimes I can find the knock-off version on the shelf, sometimes I can't, at which point I get the brand-name. The price difference between the two isn't enough to concern me.
Hats the knock off called? I know centrum cost a bit more then the average multivitamins as far as I can remember

I use cronometer.com for tracking nutrition, exercise and biometrics like weight. There are others that are good, too, but I have stuck with that one. It has a huge food database, but I'm not sure about your situation being in the UK (i.e. whether the same foods in your stores are in the database).

B12 deficiency is a very individual thing. It can be due to lack of intrinsic factor in the digestive tract, which declines with age. That is why blood testing is important. If you need to get topped up, a doctor can give you a B12 injection which will boost your levels much faster than any pill ever could. B12 deficiency is no joke.
Thanks I'll have a look at it

I did try my fitness pal app before but couldn't be consistent

Yea I know someone personally who has the B12 injection and she complains about the pain on the arm she gets injected in for a few days

I suspect that if one gets all the nutrients one needs from a balanced diet then supplements simply pass unused through the body. I also think that damage caused by poor nutrition is probably greater at a younger age than at my age in my 50s but that is just a guess. Anyway, the wife is a nurse so I don't argue with her. The tablets are definitely beneficial to my health since if I refuse to take them I get ear ache from nagging and a bad back from sleeping on the sofa. 👍
Yea best not to argue lol 🤣

Top Bottom