What's new

What sub-$1,500 espresso machine would you get?

My Quickmill Anita has been a workhorse. It has provided me with nearly 3 years of great service so far. I feel no need to upgrade at this time.

I am over 10k shots through my Gaggia Syncrony Digital which I bought in 2005. Had to replace the grinder once (my fault - got it wet). Other than that, it works great. If I had to do it again, I'd get 2 boilers instead of one. If I had to buy today, I'd get the Gaggia Titanium in a heartbeat.

I know Jura is supposed to be a fantastic brand. My only experience with one is at a previous company where we had one in the break room - an appropriate place as it was broken more frequently than it was working.

I need to stay out of The Cafe... BIG TIME. Was cruising around (just for chuckles and grins) looking at the different machines mentioned here - no intention of getting another machine (i'm thrilled with my super auto, and thought if I were to ever "step up" i'd be to a Vivaldi II - but always hated their appearance). I stumbled on a site that carried the brand new, three week old double boiler, dual PID, no burn wanded, E61 Expobar Brewtus IV adorned in stainless steel and chrome, and the lust quickly turned into marriage. :blush:

So did you buy it?

Who are you talking to? :lol:

Luckily, I actually had an amply loaded (albeit dormant) Espresso machine fund i'd had amassed in the hopper in case I ever wanted to go the semi-auto route in addition to the super-auto. Just didn't have any compelling desire to drop the hammer until I ran into the Brewtus.

An E61 producing the most bang for $1,500, but without having researched HXs, I have no idea which brand / model to go with.

Hope you guys don't mind if a coffee noob of sorts chimes in here with a question....

Do these machines you are discussing make much better espresso than say a lever action La Pavoni? I'm facinated by those, but don't know if the more modern machines make better espresso.

I have no experience with lever machines but my understanding is no. If the lever produces drastically worse espresso then the operator is the problem. Granted, the lever may have a steeper learning curve and few conveniences -- it really just depends. Not all levers are "old" machines.

The conventional wisdom is that lever machines are an art form. It takes a lot of practice and patience to master. You can, however, get some amazing results.

Top Bottom