What's new

What styptic pencil did you use today and how many weepers?

Heh :biggrin1: My styptic pencil is at least 20 years old and I don't remember who made it anymore, but it's almost certainly a Clubman. And...one, because I was careless and caught a blade corner under my chin.

I don't own a styptic pencil or witch hazel, and pretty much never get weepers. In fact, a weeper- and irritation-free shave is my top priority, and I'm surprised how many posters here don't feel the same way.

I don’t recall the brand, maybe clubman? I prefer the skinny styptic pencils - seem to work better for me on stopping up small cuts than the jumbo pencils.

I don’t get many weepers, cuts. But occasionally when I’ve been in a rush and haven’t paid attention ive needed to break out the styptic pencil.

I use alum block for post shave most days and that covers anything small anyway.

While rare I nicked my chin a couple days ago and used one of these
proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have not used mine for a few weeks but mine is made from a firm called Surgipack.

No weepers today.

Well done!! Sadly, the same cannot be said for myself. I've been trying to perfect the Old Type, and let's just say it's been like the scene from "Airplane" when the guy is shaving in the lavatory during turbulence... My bathroom is more red than the original color which I believe was "owl white" before I got into wet shaving.

Heck even the toilet looks like a scene from Halloween 3 (and the toilet is 6 feet away).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't own a styptic pencil or witch hazel, and pretty much never get weepers. In fact, a weeper- and irritation-free shave is my top priority, and I'm surprised how many posters here don't feel the same way.

I'm with this guy!

Never owned a styptic pencil, and 2018 has been leak free so far.

Well done!! Sadly, the same cannot be said for myself. I've been trying to perfect the Old Type, and let's just say it's been like the scene from "Airplane" when the guy is shaving in the lavatory during turbulence... My bathroom is more red than the original color which I believe was "owl white" before I got into wet shaving.

Heck even the toilet looks like a scene from Halloween 3 (and the toilet is 6 feet away).
My experience with different razors is that if it doesn't work for you, it may just not be the right one for you. There are too many options out there to suffer with one that gives you that much trouble. If you're committed to the Old Type, maybe try the RazoRock Old Type clone. It's not expensive, and most folks (including me) find it to be quite forgiving. I have never used an original Old Type so I can't compare the two.

My experience with different razors is that if it doesn't work for you, it may just not be the right one for you. There are too many options out there to suffer with one that gives you that much trouble. If you're committed to the Old Type, maybe try the RazoRock Old Type clone. It's not expensive, and most folks (including me) find it to be quite forgiving. I have never used an original Old Type so I can't compare the two.
I have both and they are completely different. I agree there is no reason to use a razor that is uncomfortable much less one that draws blood. Better to master a milder razor before trying the old type.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I have a styptic pencil that I bought so long ago I can't remember the name of it. It stays in the drawer "just in case", but weepers these days are very rare for me.

I have both and they are completely different. I agree there is no reason to use a razor that is uncomfortable much less one that draws blood. Better to master a milder razor before trying the old type.

I have named my Old Type, the Gwim Weeper. My wife said it sounds like I have a speech impediment, but that's the name that stuck..

Top Bottom