What's new

What styptic pencil did you use today and how many weepers?

I always thought that I wouldn't like menthol, then was gifted some CO Bigelow (Proraso green) by my wife in my stocking. Absolutely loved it, and went on to buy Margaritas in the Arctic....they're fantastic on a warm day.

I've become accustomed to a light splash of witch hazel after my cold water rinse, and had the idea to mentholate the witch hazel last year. (You'll also need just a few drops of essential oil, or the menthol crystals don't fully disolve). You haven't treated yourself until you've splashed on some nicely mentholated witch hazel after the shave. - Great at opening up the sinuses if you have a cold too, but wow, does it feel great! Once dry, I'll slap on a little aftershave and/or balm for the sign off on the shave.

As an added bonus, my face (skin) hasn't looked this healthy ever, since I began using the witch hazel a few years ago, helps prevent any ingrown hairs, clogged pores, and has just enough alcohol to prevent infections.

I always thought that I wouldn't like menthol, then was gifted some CO Bigelow (Proraso green) by my wife in my stocking. Absolutely loved it, and went on to buy Margaritas in the Arctic....they're fantastic on a warm day.

I've become accustomed to a light splash of witch hazel after my cold water rinse, and had the idea to mentholate the witch hazel last year. (You'll also need just a few drops of essential oil, or the menthol crystals don't fully disolve). You haven't treated yourself until you've splashed on some nicely mentholated witch hazel after the shave. - Great at opening up the sinuses if you have a cold too, but wow, does it feel great! Once dry, I'll slap on a little aftershave and/or balm for the sign off on the shave.

As an added bonus, my face (skin) hasn't looked this healthy ever, since I began using the witch hazel a few years ago, helps prevent any ingrown hairs, clogged pores, and has just enough alcohol to prevent infections.

What a great forum. Thanks Cyberdog, I actually DO have some crystal menthol and some liquid peppermint extract because I make DIY muscle rubs mixed with coconut oil, etc.. (but I don't have witch hazel..yet). I guarantee you've just turned me on to a new lifelong habit, lol.
Question though.... Afterwards my face will be all dried out though, right? Mine dries fast, so I typically need some kind of lotion. Does that counter the effects of the menthol? Or maybe there is a menthol lotion that moisturizes.. ?

Witch Hazel is an astringent, so it will 'tighten' the skin a bit, but I've never found it to feel unduly dry afterwards. Witch Hazel is actually very good for the skin and can actually help various ailments from my understanding. The menthol doesn't seem to affect those properties, at least for me, but I do use a dab of lotion/balm afterwards. - I've used creams (currently have some nice Stirling Christmas Eve), Glycerin added to some homemade Bay-Rum, and Aloe & Maca-Root Post Gel (Body Shop), and all easily leave the skin feeling great with no dryness from the menthol.

Not very frequently:

proxy.php

I didn't use one today. I seldom do. For the sake of this thread, is that unfortunate? For the sake of my face, it is fortunate.

Clubman (1)
I'm going to try the menthol solution... Is it like a DIY aftershave? Just melt some menthol into the witch hazel?
THEN, I'll need to find some kind of menthol face lotion I guess. FFF is right for me, I believe.

I believe you can buy menthol crystal in bulk off Amazon. And since they are crystals, they should just dissolve in a liquid. I am not 100% certain as I've not tried that yet. I'm only a level 3 FFF and not a 4 or 5. But you might try looking thru the FFF thread to see if anyone has tried it. Or make your own thread and ask the community.

Hmm. Nobody uses a block of alum?

alum block.png

These are fantastic. You can get them really cheap off Ebay from India. They don't act quite as fast as a styptic pen on a cut, you have to hold them on the nick a bit longer, but they make up for that in other ways.

These are what the military/outdoor gear catalogues used to sell as "Swedish Underarm Stones" when I was a kid. They are a great astringent as an aftershave (not just for nicks, you rub it all over your shaved areas) and they are a completely odor-free deodorant for your armpits. And for me, I've clocked their effectiveness as a deodorant at around the 24 hour mark. And a block of this stuff lasts for several months.

I haven't bought a stick of roll-on type deodorant like Old Spice or Speed Stick for a couple of years now. The alum, or potassium alum, leaves a deposit on your skin that prevents the bacteria that cause body odor from growing or living there.

Hmm. Nobody uses a block of alum?

View attachment 934164

These are fantastic. You can get them really cheap off Ebay from India. They don't act quite as fast as a styptic pen on a cut, you have to hold them on the nick a bit longer, but they make up for that in other ways.

These are what the military/outdoor gear catalogues used to sell as "Swedish Underarm Stones" when I was a kid. They are a great astringent as an aftershave (not just for nicks, you rub it all over your shaved areas) and they are a completely odor-free deodorant for your armpits. And for me, I've clocked their effectiveness as a deodorant at around the 24 hour mark. And a block of this stuff lasts for several months.

I haven't bought a stick of roll-on type deodorant like Old Spice or Speed Stick for a couple of years now. The alum, or potassium alum, leaves a deposit on your skin that prevents the bacteria that cause body odor from growing or living there.

+Rep @AshleyC . Thanks for this detailed answer. I had heard that these types of "stones" MUST be applied after showering, and not as a .. remedy. Bacteria growth just as you said. On another note, this is crazy but I just had some Limburger cheese. Bacteria KING. Why they would set out to prevent mold in cheese is beyond me but to be honest, if you can get past the smell of bacteria cheese such as limburger (downwind and cold is preferable), the taste is excellent. I would recommend rye bread, red onions, mustard, and of course the Limburgerer… Wash it down with a strong beer.

Mold vs bacteria. I'll take mold, like bleu cheese!!!! Unless I was in Monroe, Wisconsin where Limburger is king… SMH

Same here - I waited 3 weeks for a cheap alum block from India, looked like it was diced up with a bandsaw. Now it's smoothing out nice and glassy and is more than enough to stop any minor weepers - though I haven't had many of those after my first week or so shaving.

I find that a hot shower starting with some baby oil on the beard and finishing with a good soapy rinse sets me up for a weeper free shave.

Usually I shave without irritation and cuts. All my razors are soft. Shallow blood from cut pimples, eliminated with a cube of ice from the refrigerator. Just in case, bought in a pharmacy crayon pencil. But not yet used it. Sincerely.

Top Bottom