What's new

What styptic pencil did you use today and how many weepers?

new blade and I got up late for work so 2 weepers. Clubman jumbo
I don't want it to seem like I was boasting when I said I never get weepers. The truth is, when I have to get out of the house fast and early in the morning and I didn't shave the night before, I often just do one WTG pass. If I tried to get a perfect BBS result in under 5 minutes at 6 am when I was still half asleep, I'd probably cut myself to ribbons and need all sorts of styptic pencils and alum blocks. But I don't do that. And fortunately, I can shave the night before and still look reasonably clean shaven 24 hours later. I mean, you don't want to be running late in the morning AND bleeding, do you?

I keep a Clubman Jumbo around. Don't need it most of the time. BTW - I also keep an alum block that I do use just about every time I shave, whether I see any blood or not. It finds all the little tiny nicks that might not have hit a capillary.

My experience with different razors is that if it doesn't work for you, it may just not be the right one for you. There are too many options out there to suffer with one that gives you that much trouble. If you're committed to the Old Type, maybe try the RazoRock Old Type clone. It's not expensive, and most folks (including me) find it to be quite forgiving. I have never used an original Old Type so I can't compare the two.

Thanks for the tips Steve. I will try to tame this beast before it tames me! Otherwise I just may look into something smoother, such as what you suggested.

+1! When I need a styptic it is generally because I did something ‘stupid!’ :a13:

When my wife sees me getting ready to shave she says "Oh, I should get your pencil thing and another roll of gauze!.. Wait a second honey I'll get your stuff ready"

Bless her heart though; she thinks she's being the perfect assistant (and she is), but the absurdity of it all makes me stifle laughter.

Since using the following, I never get cuts or weepers.
Rocca razor, usually GSB or Polsilver si blades. SV soap , Chubby 3 best badger. The brush makes superb extra protective protection and glide . The razor , soap and brush took a few shaves to perfect shaves. I think too many guys jump from gear to gear without taking time to learn what works best. Don't keep buying stuff in the hope shaves will get better!

I generally don't get anything that requires pulling out the Styptic pencil, on the 2-3 times a year when needed, it's usually a Clubman pencil. Any other minor pin-dot weepers usually stop on their own before I finish the shave or do so with the cold water rinse.

Since using the following, I never get cuts or weepers.
Rocca razor, usually GSB or Polsilver si blades. SV soap , Chubby 3 best badger. The brush makes superb extra protective protection and glide . The razor , soap and brush took a few shaves to perfect shaves. I think too many guys jump from gear to gear without taking time to learn what works best. Don't keep buying stuff in the hope shaves will get better!

@Roy , I think this is good advice for me. I dove right in and have been going razor to razor (RAD syndrome), and swapping out blades (Egyptian to Russian to Indian and back to Egyptian..). Too many variables slows down the learning process.

And @cyberdog - a cold rinse sounds like a good idea. I've been rinsing in aftershave and WOW, such awful pain that almost brings me to my knees.. I'll try the plain cold water.

Well...Just finished a good shave. Only one weeper!! But unfortunately it's a pretty deep one. Planning to order another jumbo stick on ebay... First one still works, but it's getting pretty worn down. I'm also going to buy some paper cups to put under my chin to collect the blood runoff. Lots of automotive grade rags to clean up the slop afterwards is something I thought up myself (thank me later). :)

And it was a good call with the cold water rinse rather than aftershave. WAY less painful and provided much needed relief.

Wet shaving is not for the weak, but I am getting better each day!

My experience with different razors is that if it doesn't work for you, it may just not be the right one for you. There are too many options out there to suffer with one that gives you that much trouble. If you're committed to the Old Type, maybe try the RazoRock Old Type clone. It's not expensive, and most folks (including me) find it to be quite forgiving. I have never used an original Old Type so I can't compare the two.
I have a RazoRock Old Type clone and agree with the base post. It gives the old type design and experience with an affordable and more precise shave.

When I first started out I got 3-4 of them plus irritation on my neck. I got a very tiny one today but, it was my fault in going too quickly over my chin area. I rarely get any weepers or neck irritation nowadays.

I use some non-name brand that I picked up either at the grocery store or a local pharmacy. Most of the time if I really need it, I wet it and turn it sideways and basically use it instead of my alum. But those are the rare cases if i'm trying out a too aggressive razor and have no idea what I'm doing with it. I'm a professional level FFF so I typically shave with cold water which has (pardon the pun) really cut back on the nicks and weepers.

A pacific shave nick stick, eh? This sounds like something I could REALLY use. Is this meant for gentlemen that tend to cut themselves pretty deep and often? I'm looking for something longer lasting than the Clubman Jumbo, as they tend to wear down to just a nub after a few months, albeit heavy use, lol.

I'm not familiar with FFF. Would that be something that I could benefit from?

Last edited:
Top Bottom