What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

PXL_20230128_214844932-01.jpeg

W. Greaves & Sons
MWF
Simpson, Duke 3 in Best
TOBS, Eaton College

Some days the total is greater than the sum of the parts. Today was one of those days.

(And IMHO, the parts weren't too shabby on their own.)

Wade & Butcher “Special” an 11/16” hollow, post McKinley Tariff. Likely replacement scales. I acquired this recently, nothing exciting, but the price wasn’t too bad. The blade was in really good shape, for something bought online easily in top 90%. I decided to recreate @cotedupy’s recent effort of using a slurried hard Ark to set the bevel. It worked! I did add in some different stones to do the finish (coticule followed by a black Ark) and the edge was good enough that I didn’t remember until I started the 2nd pass that I was using this razor for the first time. Ended up with a 2 pass DFS, which is a good day with the razor for me.
B0278800-0C20-4E8C-8107-6D81F5FF381F.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Finished the PIF Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 on a diamond pasted balsa strop progression yesterday evening and gave it a shave test this morning.

IMG_20230129_083026.jpg

Absolutely perfect. The best edge I have ever put on a Titan T.H.60. The edge is up there with my best Bengall SRs. It has now been ren waxed and put away with its strop and paste ready to ship.

The bevels on this SR wouldn't pass @TheBeast's microscopic bevel beauty contest but it is an absolute pleasure to shave with. Fortunately, pretty doesn't shave.

Shave tested this new Bengall with a bit of Yorkshires finest. Progression was Shapton Glass 500 HR, 1k HR, 3k HR, 10k HR, GOK 20k. Then linen, 10 light laps on a 0.1 micron pasted balsa strop, and clean clean leather.

It was a great edge. The Bengalls have really grown on me. Simple and understated, they get the job done. As good as the edge was, I think this razor deserves a UK natural finisher. I’m thinking Water of Ayr might be a good fit.

F9CDBFF3-CA5F-451D-8BA4-422006AB2F02.jpeg

Last edited:
CV Heljesrand, Swedish Eskilstuna

My first ever shave with my first ever vintage, after first attempt at cleanup and some degree of restoration and my first, very own edge. This one honed up Nice and easy. It has it's flaws and deep steel damage, but seeing as they sell for more than a 100$ in great condition, this one will do just fine, especially considering the price I got it at (a steal, basically).

Nifty little shaver, easy to manouver, easy to get into all the divots, corners and weird angles. Very comfortable. My SR shaving skills are, basically none. But it gets me a shave that's just as comfortable as my first few months with DEs.

PXL_20230129_003538466.jpg

Just to make @rbscebu Happy, microscopic bevel beauty contest entry for this one looks something like this:

Photo_2023-01-28 16_53_12_340.png

CV Heljesrand, Swedish Eskilstuna

My first ever shave with my first ever vintage, after first attempt at cleanup and some degree of restoration and my first, very own edge. This one honed up Nice and easy. It has it's flaws and deep steel damage, but seeing as they sell for more than a 100$ in great condition, this one will do just fine, especially considering the price I got it at (a steal, basically).

Nifty little shaver, easy to manouver, easy to get into all the divots, corners and weird angles. Very comfortable. My SR shaving skills are, basically none. But it gets me a shave that's just as comfortable as my first few months with DEs.

View attachment 1596185

Just to make @rbscebu Happy, microscopic bevel beauty contest entry for this one looks something like this:

View attachment 1596187
Is that an MK 8?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Shave tested this new Bengall with a bit of Yorkshires finest. Progression was Shapton Glass 500 HR, 1k HR, 3k HR, 10k HR, GOK 20k. Then linen, 10 light laps on a 0.1 micron pasted balsa strop, and clean clean leather.

It was a great edge. The Bengalls have really grown on me. Simple and understated, they get the job done. As good as the edge was, I think this razor deserves a UK natural finisher. I’m thinking Water of Ayr might be a good fit.
That's a pretty big jump, GOK 20k to 0.1μm pasted balsa. Glad it worked out for you. I would have thrown in some laps on 0.5μm and 0.25μm in between.

No idea, sorry. I'm new to All this and I never dived deep down the history of these. It was identified by H Brad, otherwise, I would have Zero idea of it's origin. PM me and I Can figure out All the details with a little guidence.
What does it say on the back of the tang? I can see the MK but not the number in your photo.

That's a pretty big jump, GOK 20k to 0.1μm pasted balsa. Glad it worked out for you. I would have thrown in some laps on 0.5μm and 0.25μm in between.
This is what I call a hybrid edge. It’s not my intention to get the full method edge effect that erases all of the stria. A few light laps, pull strokes, and x-strokes seems to be enough to smooth things out and add a little bump. You can easily over do it and loose the distinctive finger-print feel of the finisher. The Suehiro Gokumyo 20k is plenty sharp but it has a surprisingly soft feel to the shaving edge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom