What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Joseph Elliot
Mitchell’s Woolfat
Omega Brush
Nivea.
A9C4F42E-7307-4D27-B802-A65241CABB8D.jpeg
9933E88B-F883-42FE-92F2-C5D586E8FFF2.jpeg

Now I’m wondering if you can make a hone out of that stone @Edmund A ?

Iwasaki Swedish steel kamisori with a kiita edge, software was AdP wannabees, SV Asylum Colonia beta 4.3 and Fine Italian Citrus AS. The SV Colonia is great soap, and the scent is good but lacks some of the more delicate or nuanced notes that AdP cream scent has, but still an excellent scent. The Fine IC surprised me, it’s quite close to AdP. A Semogue Galahad did the lathering.

AdP Colonia type scents are great any time of the year, but it’s particularly nice in summer I think.

View attachment 1476892
I still have the "factory" edge on mine. I don't think I can improve on it. I will leave it be for as long as I can.

My technique is lagging when it comes to the smaller, lighter 5/8. The blade "skips" a little in the tough parts of my beard, and this makes me a little more hesitant. I'll park this up for a while and come back to it once I have confident one pass shave working reliably, and see how I go then.
Try using it like a slant razor. At a slight angle to the direction of travel. I find this makes a world of difference.

Slummed it with the cheapest shave I could muster.

Arko - The King of slick. Performs well but a newly opened one is so overpowering and lingers for hours. That's what the guy in the picture is smiling at.

Gold Dollar 208 - Haven't used this since I got it. It really needs a new edge but I powered through. Can't remember what edge is on it but it's not good and a coticule beckons.

Homemade badger - purposely made with the same amount of hair as a Simpson equivalent (26 grams) which means it's not as high density as others I've made. Haven't used this much either so it still has a tiny bit of badger smell and sheds a hair or two but still a good brush with lovely gel tips which you can zoom in on.

Shave 2 - 20220505.jpg

Edit: 208 not 206. That's how much I care about this thing.

Last edited:
Lovely morning shave! Filarmonica 13 Medallon Taurino with hard black Ark finish, Simpson Manchurian K4, Antica Barbieria Colla Almond hard soap, and D.R. Harris Windsor aftershave.

Had not used the hard black Ark for about a year - excellent, comfortable edge. First drive in Windsor - I like it! The Manchurian Simpson is just killing it - custom order - really happy I pulled the trigger on this one. And the Fili may not look like much, but this sucker sure can shave.

1656072331756.png

Friday, June 24th 2022
This evening the newly arrived Friodur had to report for duty (#20):
  • Preshave: Baby-Oil and Proraso green PS
  • Razor: Friodur Inox 5/8" round point, after 14 rounds of stropping, three passes (WTG-XTG-ATG) and a number of corrections
  • Shaving Cream: Cella Crema da Barba
  • Brush: Dr. Dittmar Silvertip
  • Bowl: the black one from Mühle
  • AS: Speick Men ASL
  • ASB: Nivea Men Sensitive cool ASB
  • Frag: Dior Eau Sauvage EdP.
The Friodur is my first SR which has already been used and honed for many years. It came from a colleague from a german shaving forum for little money with a damn sharp edge and some more useful things. The three normal passes were quickly made and I still had lots of lather left in the bowl for corrections. In the end, I landed on a lets say Mühle R41-Feather Blade-Niveau, which I didn't think to be possible with a straight. This was my best SR shave until now.
Very pleasant and extremely close: 10.0/10.

IMG_0250.jpg

Top Bottom