What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

1125.png

Heljestrand MK No. 10 | Paladin Moe | Martin de Candre Fougère | Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Terrific Thanksgiving shave! Dorko 43 near wedge, AdP cream, Vielong 24 mm white horsehair brush, and Myrsol Agua de Limon after shave.

Love the Dorko 43. Second time using AdP - topmost shelf, can consume a lot of water. The Vielong is a lot of fun but don't mash it - just use the tips. And it doesn't get any better than Myrsol.

Have a great day, all!

1637865394154.png

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Straight up may be on to something. He has been shaving a lot with his five Comoy's of London SR's lately so I found one to buy to give it a go.

My Comoy came with a typical factory edge. I set a proper bevel and put it through my honing progression before finishing up on diamond pasted balsa strops. This morning was my first shave with this SR.

All I can say is WOW! This is a cheapie SR but can shave like the best of them in my stable (Ralf Aust, Revisor, etc.).

This morning's shave was:

Comoy's of London ¾ SR off diamond pasted balsa.
ARKO stick face lathered with a Chinese synthetic brush.

IMG_20211126_081656.jpg
Tomorrow I will compare this Comoy against one of my Bengall ¾ SR's.

@Straight up may be on to something. He has been shaving a lot with his five Comoy's of London SR's lately so I found one to buy to give it a go.

My Comoy came with a typical factory edge. I set a proper bevel and put it through my honing progression before finishing up on diamond pasted balsa strops. This morning was my first shave with this SR.

All I can say is WOW! This is a cheapie SR but can shave like the best of them in my stable (Ralf Aust, Revisor, etc.).

This morning's shave was:

Comoy's of London ¾ SR off diamond pasted balsa.
ARKO stick face lathered with a Chinese synthetic brush.

Tomorrow I will compare this Comoy against one of my Bengall ¾ SR's.

Where are these razors made?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Where are these razors made?
We don't know for sure but they work very well.

The quality of finish and grinding is rather Chinese in nature. The name "Comoy's of London" has been around since the 1800's as providers of gentlemen's accessories.

We don't know for sure but they work very well.

The quality of finish and grinding is rather Chinese in nature. The name "Comoy's of London" has been around since the 1800's as providers of gentlemen's accessories.
I'm not 100% sure, but they have the haul marks of a Gold Dollar. The grinding on the heel is apparently a new modification they are applying to them; all 5 of my new ones have substantial grinding on the heel. I have one I picked up ten years ago and the blade is slightly different. It appears since that time they have worked on improving the aesthetics using etching and improving the scales (yes the old scales were cheaper and worse!)

As far as I'm concerned they are a great entry level razor because they are cheap and can hold a great edge. The down side is you have to know how to hone or pay to get it fixup ready for shaving. I gave one to my son to start him off (after I honed it) and he's doing well. If it were the case that you didn't like straight shaving, then you have only blown about $30.

The one thing I have noticed about them compared to 'better' razors is they tend to rust. I apply the same methodology to all my razors and I have noticed a few rust spots on a couple of the Comoy's, while the TIs etc are looking awesome.

Top Bottom