What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

This evenings me time.
20211012_214458.jpg

Ludo Red Imp 132 Wedge
A&E Peach&Cognac
Maggard 26mm synth

Was chatting with a board member about Red Imps yesterday, which led to me pulling it out for today.

Also was doing some research. Couple of interesting things that popped up.
1) a list of Solingen razor companies and their brands indicate that there was no company called “Ludo Shear and Razor Works” but Ludo was a brand of Hoppe & Co.
2) USPTO indicates that the trademark for “Red Imp” (specifically relating to razors) was registered in 1931 and first used in 1930. It was registered by E. Morris Mfg. The final renewal was 1971. At that point Case must have owned it since all other notes I have seen indicate that Morris ceased operations in 1950.

So where my head is at on this is that Morris started the Red Imp trademark. But Morris was a Detroit company and the razors always said Solingen Germany. So Morris was a jobber, selling razors with their name that someone else made. Perhaps Hoppe & Co.? Morris ceased operations in 1950, and several sources quote 1955-1962 as the years when Case made the Ref Imp in the US.

So the questions to me is “was the Ludo name used before the Morris name? Or was the Ludo name perhaps used in the gap years 1950-1955 when Morris didn’t exist and Case had not yet moved production to the US? Or did the different brands all sell the Red Imp at the same time?

771192D1-1BB1-4E27-9CC3-4E49F9826D39.jpeg

Reactions: Wid
Top Bottom