What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Wade & Butcher Magnum Bonum…truly a delightful shave!
B3F22C9A-2483-4706-BF1E-78B55066EEB9.jpeg
EC82DF0C-337C-4BED-A17A-4DFDE6D10FF8.jpeg
E89563A5-B0A7-47B6-BD72-BE4998E7182A.jpeg

Friedrich Baurmann & Sohne "Comfort 40" -- After using a SE, and DE this week I decided on SR shave w/good results and no blood drawn. I was reflecting on my "SR Journey" (SR shave #6 this morning) and realized that I didn't follow any of the recommendations about beginning to use Straight Razors (they were all good sound tips and advice), but I'm cheap, stubborn, and I like a challenge (okay, I'm mostly cheap). I happened across this razor and a Bresduck Strop for under $20 at an antique store, and after much research, sandpaper, elbow grease and neat's-foot oil, restored them to usable condition. I bought lapping film, a piece of marble tile and spray bottle, then set the bevel with the burr method and honed the blade w/lapping film and stropped on the linen and leather, and between this razor and another obtained off of eBay (and restored), I've been getting shaves in. Are they the best edges giving the best shaves I could possible get? Absolutely not, but they will be as I continue learning to hone a better edge (I promise to get a loupe as well, (probably a cheap one though)) and stropping (will eventually move to balsa). My first set of scales won't be the best peened ones when I decide to re-scale and hone the 5/8 Wade & Butcher wedge blade I have waiting, but the second or third set will be better. This isn't crowing/attention seeking (I'd give myself a C+/B- grade overall). I learned a lot in the process, so I wanted to bring attention to and thank the many old heads here on B&B who freely (read no charge!) share their knowledge, advice, encouragement and photos/videos to anyone willing to seek it out. I also wanted to be on the record that it's possible (not advisable though, as a ready razor would've been a GREAT place to start) for an absolute newbie to learn enough here on B&B to restore, hone and strop a razor well enough to shave (and gain an appreciation for SRs) for under $60.
Solingen Straight Shave.jpg

how was the honing?

Actually first shave with nos edge, was ok
Went back to 6k then jnats , edge lot better but still adjusting , edge great but not amazing
Getting used to near wedge which feels different than my hollow razors, kinda still needs some minor adjustment as this is my first near wedge

Top Bottom