What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Tornblom shoulderless
LaToja soap stick
Maggard 20mm G5 synth

9A0D04C0-F113-4083-AA67-F53B8CFFF4C8.jpeg

An excellent first shave with a just-arrived razor. The Wacker 5/8 "Wednesday" will just have to wait.
8714F3D2-258A-4B96-8CBB-468F76EC9CF8.jpeg

Campiono french point 6/8 in rosewood scales, high polish
Ertan Süer France
The blank is forged of high carbon 100C6 steel by Forges Foréziennes in Noirétable commune, near Thiers, in dies that are proprietary to Rasoir Sabre France.

Simply stropped 60 laps on linen and roughout horsehide, then shaved. I am sure I will maintain the edge on my full balsa/diamond progression, but I am in no rush to take it to a finish hone, in spite of my curiosity about this particular steel.

D3729FF2-26EA-4C91-8061-E1A36CBE471D.jpeg

Vanta shavette with Bic DE blade
Maggard Mango & Sage
Maggard 24mm 2-band badger

Another first for me today. After I commented on my struggles with the Fool’s Pass in another thread @rbscebu suggested that I validate the sharpness of my straight razor edge by trying a Feather blade in a shavette for comparison. So I got the shavette earlier this week. I have heard stories about how sharp the Feather blades are, so for my first attempt I loaded a Bic blade that had already seen 1-2 uses in my safety razor. Shave was fine, in fact it was up there with my better razors, but it wasn’t better than that. So at least I know I can home to the level of a not quite brand new Bic. I had thought that the shavette would be a bit more different in use than it was.

Next step will be to put in a fresh Feather and try again!

0902.png

Dorko 444 | Simpson Emperor 3 Super | D.R. Harris Sandalwood x2

To my horror when I opened the dorko I found two giant rust circles that were clearly water spots that had dripped off from the inside of the scales. My head hangs in shame. I used to be meticulous about drying every surface, every time, but over time have gotten cavalier and mostly just wipe down the blade and dry it open overnight unless I know for certain that I had water running down my arm (it happens). Now to see if I can get the dang spots off without making things look worse :scowl:

While it's sad to see the loss of that section near the heel, it's great that you've opted to save the majority of what remains. Looks like a great candidate, if not a justification, for a narrower strop.
I thought the same thing but if you look close I think it is just the lather covering up some of the edge.

Top Bottom