What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

SR Filarmonica Novodur
SB Rooney 2XL
SC Truefitt & Hill 1805

Sunday brunch with some old and new friends...

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 10.12.08 AM.png

Is this your first quarter hollow/near wedge? You won't feel/hear much response from the thicker grind on a strop with lighter draw. Now that I have a Tony Miller horsehide roughout with heavier draw, I tend to use it with my quarter hollows/near wedges.

Thanks as that explains the stropping, no noise
Thought my strop was broken
Yes my first near wedge
Appreciate info

I am doing a restore on one of these for my mentor right now, I love it. Wish I could find another.

Beter are very difficult to find in good condition.

Here is Spain, some think that they were made by Jose Monserrat Pou (Filarmonica) on request, since Beter was not a manufacturer.

I've been a bit busy since my long vacation ended, but my time has been taken up by positive things and I've found time and strength to do things that has been long overdue. Among them is razor honing. Actually it must heave been more than a year since I last restored a razor, So Friday a week ago I picked teo easy ones from the restoration drawer. It was the Törblom razors below. As far as I could see they never had been used so it shouldn't require more work than to touch up of the factory edges that was put on them some 75-85 years ago. That was true for the post WWII, in fake ivory, that gave me fantastic shaves last week.

When I yesterday (Saturday) changed to the black scaled one, for the upcoming week, I did however get a really nasty surprise. The shave was bad despite the touch up I had done. I picked up my loupe and saw something I never before had seen on a razor in seemingly pristine condition; the edge had extremely small, but plentiful spots of corrosion ("Devil's spit"). The weren't visible to my naked eye. The rest of the razor had no sign of corrosion whatsoever. So at 05.45 this beautiful Sunday morning I went down to the basement and rehoned this, in my eyes gorgeous, razor going from A to Z (A to Ö actually where I come from). The following shave was as close as can be with the edge being sharp enough to nearly cut reality. That's not the most comfortable of edges, but it is amazing and requires the very best steel quality to be attainable. Over time and with good stropping it will get smoother.

I fully understand why so many of you favour Heljestrand razors. It means that you'll get a high quality razor, but Heljestrand was only one of very many great Swedish razor makers. Below you can see the razor model that was Klas Törnblom's masterpiece. It was one out of three of the most common domestic Swedish razor models. To me the shaves I get frome these agile razors are almost magical, and this is the only razor model where I must say that Heljestrand weren't among the best. That may also explain why so few where exported .

I wish you all a great week.

20210828_100515.jpg
20210828_101253.jpg

An hour after shaving late last night, I exhibited a few minor symptoms. So I have been yanked off orderly duty and confined to quarters. The LOTH seems mostly recovered, in any case.

Life's too short to hesitate any longer on powering up my full M7DS. And hey, it's Sunday. I cleaned off the Wacker grease and introduced "Sunday" to every pasted balsa strop I own. Then on to linen, horsehide, and my face.

Strop central:
148E1A43-2CAD-4BB9-ADEC-B4241D9F1D66.jpeg

Sunday best:
87E84356-98DE-41AC-847F-C5AFB15B45F2.jpeg

With all the new room to move and with a dextrous 5/8 as my partner, I can shave my neck maelstroms more closely. The Schick E took primary responsibility for the still extremely tender spots on either side of the lower goatee. There is still plenty of ouch in the alum.

Top Bottom