What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

The name of the razor is 飛燕 2000 or "Flying Swallow 2000" (J. "Hi-en 2000") hence the swallow inlay on the scales. It probably refers to a WWII-era Kawasaki fighter jet. I think I may have seen one of these aircraft when I visited the Chiran Peace Museum ten years ago. See this Wikipedia article for more details:

Flying Swallow 飛燕

Here is a picture of the plane:
View attachment 1285949

And the rest of the translation:

View attachment 1285950

View attachment 1285951

Hitachi/Y.S.S. also produced a razor named after a WWII aircraft 秋水 "Autumn waters"
(J. Shūsui) You can find that blade referenced in the Fakira Wordpress site on
Japanese razors. I think Anthony "The Stallion " Esposito has a Shūsui razor.

Nice razor and cool backstory...I'm a little envious. :devil:

:ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1: @Sukeroku , you are an incredible resource. I hope you are recording your knowledge for the benefit of us mere mortals.

Got 'er done...
025FB0E8-4FE4-49E0-9A39-E3895704D8BE.jpeg

A Kanayama with a D-ring...interesting. Did you buy that from a Germany reseller by chance?

No, the sin of commission is mine.

I guess it is a Tanuki Millama custom Kanayama now. I really like D-ring handles. Tony Miller sold me some parts with my last order. And now the 30000 has a lovely (well, practical) handle.

Do German guys love D-rings? I guess I do see metal handles on many German strops. With Tony Miller, you get heavy duty.

No, the sin of commission is mine.

I guess it is a Tanuki Millama custom Kanayama now. I really like D-ring handles. Tony Miller sold me some parts with my last order. And now the 30000 has a lovely (well, practical) handle.

Do German guys love D-rings? I guess I do see metal handles on many German strops. With Tony Miller, you get heavy duty.
Actually Naomi-san at Kanayama has done some contract work for a German reseller, making Kanayama with string handles, which is why I asked. Nice job on the D-rings!

My old Thai boxing coach (Worawoot) gave me a straight in 1999 that he made. It's a 6/8 half hollow with cocobolo scales. I found it yesterday. Photos soon.

I used it for my head shave

Did he give it to you with your Mongkol as a hint, or were you already shaving your head?:lol1:

Pretty cool, unique gift, and reminder of your old Kru. All I got from my various former MT instructors were a bunch of lumps and bruises to go along with my Mongkol:a6: Ah, the Muay Thai life…..

Did he give it to you with your Mongkol as a hint, or were you already shaving your head?:lol1:

Pretty cool, unique gift, and reminder of your old Kru. All I got from my various former MT instructors were a bunch of lumps and bruises to go along with my Mongkol:a6: Ah, the Muay Thai life…..
I was already head shaving.

But I did learn a good Wai Kru.

Top Bottom