What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Sat 5 SR SOTD
Soap Arko Stick
Brush Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo
Razor Gold Dollar
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Hyaluronic + Cella Milano
Lather from the soap stick is excellent. Creamy and slick...
It's been a while since the last SR adventure. This shave with the razor was kinda ok. Managed 3passes with 1 weeper, some minor irritation, and a SAS result. Took longer compared to a DE...I am surprised I still remember using both hands and the scooping out motion under the nose technique...😆 enjoyed the challenge though...
20210605_102758.jpg

I like your color scheme, @Chard52142! I strongly encourage you to use your SR more frequently - like giving yourself a challenge to use an SR once or twice a week. Practice makes perfect. Not sure what you own, but you should consider getting yourself a nice vintage or new SR - no need to break the bank doing so. Just something to excite you into wanting to use the SR more.

I like your color scheme, @Chard52142! I strongly encourage you to use your SR more frequently - like giving yourself a challenge to use an SR once or twice a week. Practice makes perfect. Not sure what you own, but you should consider getting yourself a nice vintage or new SR - no need to break the bank doing so. Just something to excite you into wanting to use the SR more.
Hey, thanks for your kind words and advice, much appreciated. I do love to use the straights at least once a week when I have more time but sadly my straights are not really shave-ready and after repeated failed attempts, I don't have the confidence and possibly the skills to hone my SRs. I am also too far away unable to send my SRs to be hone properly. I really wanted to know what it feels like to have a buttery smooth shave means...😄😄
As for getting some SR, well...it is not easy to get an affordable (razor & shipping) good & truly shave-ready SR. I learned a lot from here but still make silly mistakes...such as this Gold Dollar SR I shave with today was from First Canadian Shave...I thought at least it'll be good but upon receiving the razor...ohh my, a shocker! Ah well, FirstCanadianShave owner communication prior to purchase was fast response but once the transaction was completed...not a peep from them including the condition of this razor...😆dang!
20210531_232208.jpg
20210531_232117.jpg

20210531_232247.jpg

Hey, thanks for your kind words and advice, much appreciated. I do love to use the straights at least once a week when I have more time but sadly my straights are not really shave-ready and after repeated failed attempts, I don't have the confidence and possibly the skills to hone my SRs. I am also too far away unable to send my SRs to be hone properly. I really wanted to know what it feels like to have a buttery smooth shave means...😄😄
Screenshot_2021-06-05-10-38-20-818.jpeg

As for getting some SR, well...it is not easy to get an affordable (razor & shipping) good & truly shave-ready SR. I learned a lot from here but still make silly mistakes...such as this Gold Dollar SR I shave with today was from First Canadian Shave...I thought at least it'll be good but upon receiving the razor...ohh my, a shocker! Ah well, FirstCanadianShave owner communication prior to purchase was fast response but once the transaction was completed...not a peep from them including the condition of this razor...😆dang!
View attachment 1277103View attachment 1277104
View attachment 1277105
You can do it! I can, so that's all the proof you need. Pick up something like this, grab a piece of glass and read the 9000 pages in "The Method" thread.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Today I was comparing the old Valobra-made Czech and Speake soap to the newly minted one, so a bit of an odd SOTD image today. Results are in the Czech and Speake thread in the soaps forum. Brushes were two Keyhole 3 and the AS was Czech and Speake 88. The razor was a freshly honed Filarmonica 14 Sub Cero.

E78F3A22-5D61-4E60-91D9-03296243D4AC.jpeg

View attachment 1277103View attachment 1277104
View attachment 1277105
Hey Chard 52142,
I’m curious did you see photos of the razor or establish its condition before you purchased it?

Part 1 of my Henckels weekend:

J.A. Henckels 17 carbon steel, full hollow
Vielong B0370524 white horsehair with 50/50 main/tail mix
LEA cream
Pinaud Clubman (The Veg) Lilac Vegetal

All I can say is that Henckels sure made a good razor - great geometry. The 17 is a real beauty with ample heft. I don't think that I have ever seen another 17 in carbon steel. I do wonder if it is just from a batch of 14s that Henckels marked as 17 - for God-only-knows what reason.

If you don't own a horsehair brush, you should. Really fun break from badger and boar. The key to horsehair (as conveyed to me by another member) is to just use the tips. I tend to use cream with this brush. And another tip (you heard it here first) is to palm lather - seems faster than face lathering.

First time using The Veg. After hearing so much about this legendary, mythical lotion, I had to act. Smells like a urinal cake wrapped in a rag in your grandmother's bathroom. I kind of like it. And like other Clubman after shaves, the perfect amount of alcohol - very soothing.

20210605_222434245_iOS.jpg

Hey Chard 52142,
I’m curious did you see photos of the razor or establish its condition before you purchased it?
Hey, thanks for asking. Yup, saw pictures of the razor prior to pulling the trigger and it was picture perfect...nice edge and all. The razor received on the other hand is a shocker...☹ I did send the received razor pictures to the owner but the usual silence no response...

Hey, thanks for asking. Yup, saw pictures of the razor prior to pulling the trigger and it was picture perfect...nice edge and all. The razor received on the other hand is a shocker...☹ I did send the received razor pictures to the owner but the usual silence no response...
Did you buy on the bay or Etsy?
Seems to me you suffered from bait and switch if you were buying a picture perfect Gold Dollar but we’re actually sent one full of pitting and other blemishes. Can you possibly have your credit card company intercede on your behalf or PayPal if you used them?

Did you buy on the bay or Etsy?
Seems to me you suffered from bait and switch if you were buying a picture perfect Gold Dollar but we’re actually sent one full of pitting and other blemishes. Can you possibly have your credit card company intercede on your behalf or PayPal if you used them?
It's a direct purchase from the FirstCanadianShave site....the reviews were good, pictures were excellent...even the owner responded to my questions fast via email...well, all prior to purchase...After that...zip! I waited 6 days but nope...no response at all...
All I wanted is an affordable shave ready razor to gauge on my other SRs and honing results...😅

It's a direct purchase from the FirstCanadianShave site....the reviews were good, pictures were excellent...even the owner responded to my questions fast via email...well, all prior to purchase...After that...zip! I waited 6 days but nope...no response at all...
All I wanted is an affordable shave ready razor to gauge on my other SRs and honing results...😅
I just looked on their website and saw a flawless looking Gold Dollar razor. Probably same as you did.
i would leave a review of your experience if given the chance and see if it gets published. The buying public needs to know!

I just looked on their website and saw a flawless looking Gold Dollar razor. Probably same as you did.
i would leave a review of your experience if given the chance and see if it gets published. The buying public needs to know!
Thanks a bunch! I did leave a review earlier this morning...not sure it will get published...I did gave them a chance after 6 days...

Top Bottom