しげきかみそり
フローリスエリート

XT030819.jpg

Friday's shave

SV Desert Vetiver
Simpson M7
Shigeki kamisori
Floris Elite

This was my first shave with a kamisori and my first shave with a new straight razor (my others are old English straights) and I'm blown away by how smooth and close it is. It certainly shaved as close as a Feather AC DX, if not closer! Easily my best straight shave to date.

Kamisori Shave #12
Feather Professional blade #2

I got a rough shave earlier this week, and took a break from shaving since then.

I learnt from the mistakes, applied even less pressure and kept the blade as parallel to the skin as possible.

A few false strokes later, I found the optimal approach angle.

3 pass (WTG, XTG, XTG) gave me a BBS shave.
Aftershave provided a cool effect, confirming the shave to be excellent.

IMG_20210416_160150.jpg

Henkels Friodur 472 6/8 hollow
SOC Boar
A&E Asian Pear

As I remembered the Friodur 472 is a joy to shave with and today’s 3-pass left me with almost no irritation. That said, the quality was not as good as some recent shaves, really only CCS, while I normally expect DFS from 3 passes. This has happened a few times in the 2 weeks with my more hollowed razors. Am I starting to prefer a heavier grind? Time will tell.

A brief comment on the SOC. This is my first (and so far only) boar brush. After 30 shaves it was theoretically completely broken in and I felt that it was inferior to my Muhle Pure Badger in every way. But after spending the entire month of March with the Muhle I picked up the SOC again and used it for much of the past week. I am liking it more and more and today I managed all 3 passes using face lathering and a single loading of the A&E, something that I had failed miserably at a few times in the past. Maybe the SOC was still breaking in, or perhaps my month with the Muhle allowed for some lathering technique improvements that are carrying over to the SOC. Either way, my view of the SOC boar is a lot more positive than it was earlier in the year. Anyway, I still think the SOC is a little big and floppy for me, but I am definitely more open to trying another Semogue boar brush, especially given the price points some of them go for. Final point is that after multiple days of using the SOC boar with Asian Pear, the boar knot now carries a faint aroma of Asian Pear, which is vastly preferable to what it smelled like when brand new! :)

24283158-41C9-42EA-B3F0-50B89A7A10FE.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yesterday was a busy day....

NOS Klas Tornblom out for it’s first shave, soap was Acca Kappa 1869 pre-reformulation, and the balm was ABC in the Cointreau mini bottle from the travel kit.

Today, two test Monkeys doing a test of two Jnats, both deep layer Nakayama, the left one is UG-LEE and the right one very pretty. No difference in the edges that I could tell. Cream was SMN and Myrsol Agua Balsamica is in the St Germain bottle.

29BD0F41-6715-4039-B1AA-187CD3AC45B1.jpeg
FB5F6310-4D0E-4B1F-B4FF-D00EB36BCEED.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom